ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

1992 ES300 Acceleration Issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-13, 10:16 AM
lexus4all
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1992 ES300 Acceleration Issues

Hello All,

I have a 1992 es300 with the 3vzfe v6 engine with 176000 miles. Just got it a few days ago. I've noticed that I have a hard time pushing 60mph, like I have to floor it. I have a 2010 corolla which does not have this problem and I feel I can outrun it with this.

I understand that this is an older vehicle and a much heavier vehicle as well.

From what I have gathered from several threads, these are some recommendations
1. Clean Throttle Body
2. Replace Fuel Filter
3. Change Spark Plugs
4. Use a fuel additive
5. Use Premium instead of Regular gas

Out of the 5, I've only had time to do #4: Use a fuel additive (Chevron Techron Concentrate) and After running about 40 miles, I noticed that I no longer had to floor it to reach 60.

Unfortunately, it was still not as "peppy" as I was expecting for a V6. I drove a 1994 camry with a 5sfe inline 4 engine, and I remember it being more peppy than this.

Out of the remaining 4, what should I try next, or does anyone else have any other recommendation for me?

Thank you very much!

Last edited by lexus4all; 01-23-13 at 10:22 AM.
Old 01-23-13, 02:11 PM
canucklehe
Pole Position

throttle body. fuel filter.

i don't think premium vs. regular will do anything noticeable. plugs maybe...but the rears are hard to get at (I think).

air filter too, that should be cheap/easy.
Old 01-23-13, 03:44 PM
Bdub215
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by canucklehe
throttle body. fuel filter.

i don't think premium vs. regular will do anything noticeable. plugs maybe...but the rears are hard to get at (I think).

air filter too, that should be cheap/easy.
Plug change takes 15 minutes. the plenum doesnt even need to come off.
Old 01-23-13, 05:27 PM
canucklehe
Pole Position

thanks dbub, I never knew that. thought i read they were a bugger to get at rears (that's almost some sort of twisted kinky weird pun!).
Old 01-25-13, 08:54 AM
lexus4all
Driver School Candidate

Down to my last quarter tank of gas, and I think the fuel injector cleaning stuff is really working. I feel that everyday I drive the car, the acceleration improves!

Anyway, I went to the dealership yesterday and inquired about a fuel filter. I was told that they don't regularly stock it because the fuel injector should fail before the fuel filter. Therefore, I should just use fuel injector cleaner.

I guess I'll try cleaning the throttle body next, and putting on that Weapon R dragon air filter that's 50 states legal =)
Old 01-25-13, 09:04 AM
rlx101
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

completely idiotic suggestion but after seeing a few women complain about slow acceleration - CHECK YOUR CARPET UNDER THE GAS PEDAL. ohh those women.
Old 01-25-13, 09:15 AM
donbryce
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bdub215
Plug change takes 15 minutes. the plenum doesnt even need to come off.
I seriously doubt anyone other than a very skilled and exceptional mechanic with lots of experience working on these engines can change 6 plugs on this engine in 15 minutes! The front 3, yeah, but not the back ones. And IMO, having done this, you won't notice any difference in performance at all.
My '93 has over 325,000kms on it, and is sluggish too. It's running correct new plugs, only premium gas, and has had several fuel/oil treatments over the years I've had it. So far, no 'magic bullit' to get this POS engine to perform anything like my '96 Camry (peppy 1MZFE) or my current '02 Camry. Please share any results you have. I'm toying with a getting a rebuilt air flow meter....might improve mileage and peppyness....

Last edited by donbryce; 01-25-13 at 09:29 AM.
Old 01-25-13, 10:22 AM
canucklehe
Pole Position

Wow Don, must be a Canadian thing I also have a 2001 Camry and had a 2000 Camry I just sold. Both have V6. (Can you believe we bought this '01 XLE Camry with 39,000 km on it, in December, 2012. Leather, sunroof...).

My wife has assumed ownership of the Camry and I drive the 93 Money pit ES300 (only a money pit from previous owner neglect and not fixing things as they went, like leaking VC gasket, timing belt, CV axle, rear hub, brakes all round, etc..... not knocking the car). BUT, when I drive that Camry it is night and day difference in the pep of the V6. I would have thought they'd be very similar, but the ES is a slug compared to the Camry.

If I set tranny to ECT Power, it holds the gear longer and shifts a bit firmer, which seems like better performance.

lexus4all, glad to hear you're seeing some improvement. I've always thought of all these additives and cleaners as snake oils. Mostly because I've never noticed any of them to do anything. Slick50 style oil treatments, BiTron, etc.., etc... Fuel additives & injector cleaners on my car, or for my diesel truck...no noticeable difference.

as i say this, I am on my way to buy a container of Lucas PS leak sealant, because of all the good things I've heard about it stopping PS fluid leaks. when will I learn?
Old 01-28-13, 08:05 AM
lexus4all
Driver School Candidate

Yah, I feel that fuel injector cleaners are snake oil for newer cars. I've only had it work on my 1994 camry, and this 1992 es. I think it takes a considerable amount of time for the fuel injectors to get dirty enough for fuel injectors cleaners to work. But yes I'm on my 2nd take of gas, and put in a new fuel injector cleaner bottle. Haven't felt a difference yet.

The 3vzfe is about a 100 lbs heavier than the 1mzfe. In addition it's got smaller fuel injectors 200cc instead of 270cc. Probably has a smaller fuel pump too. Also, a little less hp and torque. Are all these factors combined the reason why it's more sluggish? I don't know. But I drove a 1999 Avalon for about a month and it has a 1mzfe, it was definitely A LOT more peppy.

Know of anyone who has changed their fuel pump or fuel injectors?
Old 01-29-13, 06:21 PM
EEngineer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

there is something seriously wrong with your 3vz-fe motors if you guys are complaining about performance.
the 3vz-fe is actually more powerful than the 1mz when it comes to low end torque.

check your plugs, wires, dizzy cap, check for clogged cat, sludge.
the 3vz is very sensitive to bad plugs and wires
Old 01-29-13, 09:46 PM
canucklehe
Pole Position

Originally Posted by EEngineer
there is something seriously wrong with your 3vz-fe motors if you guys are complaining about performance.
the 3vz-fe is actually more powerful than the 1mz when it comes to low end torque.

check your plugs, wires, dizzy cap, check for clogged cat, sludge.
the 3vz is very sensitive to bad plugs and wires
not sure what to read into this. lexus4all says 100lbs heavier, less HP and smaller injectors. that would all make sense. my plug wires were tested and are fine. do these use a cap, or these coil packs?

2001 vs 1993.... I'm thinking toyota managed to get zippier in those 8 years. I don't know...just what I see between the 2 cars I own.
Old 02-01-13, 01:32 PM
lexus4all
Driver School Candidate

EEngineer hit it on the head (pun not intended).

I took it back for a re-inspection (free) woohoo!

The results are a blown head gasket or a cracked head. OUCH!!! I guess that would affect compression levels and hence affect my engine power.

Good thing I bought this car for 400 bucks. =) The quote was about 1900 for a MLS head gasket replacement and he'll do my new timing belt and fix my oil leakage issues. The downer is we don't know if the head was affected.

Now the issue, I had bought a new radiator to install because it was leaking. Should I install the radiator first and then have the shop do the head gasket replacement or should I have the head fixed first before the radiator install?

Any thoughts or opinions are welcome

Last edited by lexus4all; 02-01-13 at 05:50 PM. Reason: spell things correctly LOL!
Old 02-01-13, 01:40 PM
canucklehe
Pole Position

I was at Napa to buy Lucas PS steering sealant. In same section I noticed for $59 a jug of head gasket repair product. I asked if it was snake oil. Parts person told me a couple of customers had good results and no one had said it was a waste of money (yet). It isn't cheap but if it works....

I don't think it matters on your rad replacement. maybe do it while it's all apart and other stuff is getting done.
Old 02-02-13, 09:14 AM
donbryce
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lexus4all
I took it back for a re-inspection (free) woohoo! The results are a blown head gasket or a cracked head. OUCH!!! I guess that would affect compression levels and hence affect my engine power.
What did he do to arrive at this conclusion? In other words, how could I 'inspect' my ES300 to check this?
Old 02-02-13, 09:40 AM
canucklehe
Pole Position

my son bought a Mzda 323 and never made it home, always overheated . the #@*^&* jerk he bought from knew the car had major issues. He chased cooling problem= Wpump, rad flush, cap, thermostat. Mechanic friend came over and left rad cap off while car got up to temp and thermostat opened. once open, there were bubbles which = combustion gas= head gasket or warped head. so we were told....

Quick Reply: 1992 ES300 Acceleration Issues