ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Painted my bumper

Old 02-10-05, 07:35 AM
Kohinoor
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusk8
Keep in mind, though, that for your '96 black ES, NO clearcoat was applied to that vehicle with that color.......From my understanding, all or most black Lexus vehicles do not have clearcoat from the factory until the 2001 year model.

where did you get that information?
Old 02-10-05, 09:54 AM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by HoeBag
where did you get that information?
The Detailing forum.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...lack+clearcoat
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...lack+clearcoat
Old 02-10-05, 06:01 PM
GATO
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

looks good
Old 02-12-05, 08:18 AM
Booner
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there a way to paint the bottom half bumper?
Old 02-12-05, 08:31 AM
GATO
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Booner
Is there a way to paint the bottom half bumper?

I had mine painted. I paid $400 bucks. the front bumper has alot of rock chips on it now, but I got a quote yesterday for $75 to re-shoot the front bumper.

I work at a dealership, so, I had one of the used car touch up guys do the work.
you might want to try someone that does touchups pr fender blending, most of them are mobile and will come to you.
Old 02-22-05, 01:52 PM
rm1
Driver School Candidate

Hello Guys,

I am new in this club. I recently acquired a 92 ES300. The color is Red/Burgundy w/grey but the bumpers are red shade. I know its common sense but just for my confirmation let me ask this again.

If I want to repaint my bumpers just go to Lexus dealer ship and buy 5-6 cans of paint and I dont need that coating solution do I? Just a simple paint job should do?

Thanks in advance for reading.
Old 02-22-05, 05:05 PM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

rm1,

We need more info on the areas of the bumper which need to be repainted. Are they mostly scratches, chips, or peeling paint? If it's just small chips and scratches, then a bottle of touch-up paint from the dealership should suffice. Otherwise, you would probably need spray cans (see the 1st few posts from the previous page).

This of course is assuming that you are capable of doing the paint job yourself. If you are not, I highly suggest bringing your car to a reputable body shop for an estimate. A dealership body shop is OK but you will be paying a premium for their services.

BTW welcome to CL
Old 02-23-05, 07:29 AM
rm1
Driver School Candidate

Thank you lexusk8. They are just small chips so I guess I will first get the estimates and then if they sound resonable enough will get it done.
Old 06-29-06, 10:14 AM
itgrowsind
Driver

I have a 1992 Es300. The rear bumper has two scratches both are only about 2 inches in lenght but are of a different color so they stand out badd!! The color of my car is green, and the bottom i believe is dark gray, my question is does any one know what the codes are for these colors so that i can go to the dealership for some touch up paint!!
Old 01-09-07, 10:53 AM
cino135
Driver

open your drivers door, on the center pillar just above the rocker or on DOOR FRAME as for most Lex and Toy (unless painted before and they didnt replace the VIN tag) should be white tag that is basically your cars SS#. it tells you the prod. date, vin# and where it was manufactured, as well the CC(color code) trim codes, (something like this C/TR 1B2/LF61) keep in mind, your car it two toned and will begin with the base (upper ) color and have a trim code as well. ALSO, most trim codes (if youre not careful in looking and know what youre looking for) are for your interior. most shops will know your lower trim code color as it is standard colors.
Old 01-12-07, 01:39 PM
Two bit
Pole Position

good job man, thing looks real good!
Old 04-05-07, 01:12 PM
Lexcited
Driver School Candidate

wow that really does look good right off the show room floor.... i got a situation that looks some what similar to the before picture.... i got to try that !!!
Old 02-14-11, 08:18 PM
AndyG
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Late to the thread here, but great job and thanks for the tip. Might try to repaint a few areas that need touching up around the car.
Old 04-23-13, 05:34 AM
les30002
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lexusk8
Hello Anne again

All black Lexus vehicles have the paint color code 202 and is called Black Onyx. That's been the standard for Lexus. You can walk into the parts counter of your Lexus dealership and ask for a bottle of Black Onyx touch-up paint. It may cost around $5-$6, and this touch-up paint has a brush applicant (just like in nail polishes).

Clearcoat is a detailing term used to specify the transparent layer applied on top of the basecoat paint (in this case, it would be your black body paint). The purpose of clearcoat is to protect the paint from UV rays and make the paint shine. Keep in mind, though, that for your '96 black ES, NO clearcoat was applied to that vehicle with that color. In other words, you do not have to worry about purchasing clearcoat when touching up your ES. From my understanding, all or most black Lexus vehicles do not have clearcoat from the factory until the 2001 year model.

Hope this info helps out
I have a black 4es and since they started clear coating in 02 how would I touch up the minor imperfection and clear coat the new paint?
Old 04-16-16, 09:22 AM
Haskee74
Driver School Candidate

Default Lexus es300 black paint

Hello

I tried automotive paints they sent me exact color of my lexus year 2001. Black color code is 202. You can buy in can or touchup brush paint options.

Google it

Originally Posted by TigerLily
Hi,

We bought an ES 300 in 98 (it is an off-lease '96 model). It is black. We have no idea what the original "technical" color would be. Needless to say it has several scratches (we live in NYC). I would really like to touch it up. Is there a way to find out what color paint it needs? Also, for those of us new to the detailing thing, can anyone explain "clear coat?"

Thanks,
Anne

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Painted my bumper