ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Speaker replacement in 2003 ES300 w/ Mark Levinson audio

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-13, 10:04 AM
jonsimp911
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speaker replacement in 2003 ES300 w/ Mark Levinson audio

So I just replaced the rear speakers in my 2003 Lexus ES300. I did quite a bit of research beforehand, but I didn't see a lot of information on what to do with the ML system without replacing the amp due to its high impedance components.

My ML speakers (over time) have separated where the cone meet the surround and where the surround meets the frame. They've never sounded "bad" per se, but after inspecting the speakers, they look quite cheap. I've always noticed that the Pioneer system in my wife's 2000 ES300 sounded better, but I just chalked it up to the smaller cabin space. After looking at these speakers, I can assure that isn't the case. In my opinion, Lexus just bought the rights to use the ML name because these speakers are crap.

As most of you know, the ML system uses 8 ohm nominal speakers in the doors w/ a 16 ohm nominal subwoofer. Speaker sizes are 4" in the rear doors, 6 1/2" in the front doors and an 8" subwoofer. With that said, most car audio door speakers are rated at 4 ohms w/ 4-8 ohm subs while most home audio applications use higher ohm speakers. I've heard (but am not sure if it is correct), that this is due to the increased inductance effects of the metal car doors causing current loss. Either way, if ML did provide the drivers in this system, they look to be designed for a home audio application (higher ohm rating, paper cones, etc.). That may explain why they fall apart so easily when exposed to the elements (humidity, heat, etc.) in an automobile. Either way, rather than repair (which I've done once before), I was dead set on replacement.

Crutchfield (among others) states that it's perfectly fine to replace these speakers with 4 ohm equivalents. With that said, it puts undue stress on the amp and may require modification when mounting. I wanted to keep things as close to stock as possible (expect for using nicer drivers). With that said, replacements would have to be sourced from home audio driver manufacturers.

For the rears, I settled on the Peerless 830870 4" PPB Cone HDS woofers from Parts Express (http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...umber=264-1070). They were about $40 a piece. You can fit a much larger speaker in the space, but I opted not to do so for two reasons. One - I didn't want to have to modify the mount in anyway. These dropped right in. Secondly, the frequency range reproduced by the 4" drivers is a bit higher. The rear doors do not have tweeters and you already have an 8" sub right behind your head. I may have considered fitting a larger 6 1/2" coaxial speaker in that spot if I could find a high-quality one that was rated at 8 ohms; however, I don't believe that one exists.

All I can say is "Wow!" These speakers sound SOOOO much better than the stock MLs. Power handling is 30RMS, 60 Peak. Frequency response is 90-6K. I can attest that these speakers go ALL the way down to 90hz without effecting the high end. It literally sounds like I replaced my sub as well. The high frequency roll off is smooth. The sensitivity rating is about 86db (1w/1m). I don't know what the stock speakers are, but I'd bet they're a bit higher (to get the same volume level you just have to barely turn it up slightly with these - like 1 notch/click). No audible distortion whatsoever.

For the front speakers, I went with the Peerless 830657 6 1/2" SDS woofer (http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...umber=264-1088). This woofer is a coated paper cone as opposed to the PPB cone in the HDS series. They were about $26 a piece. I thought about going with the PPB cone HDS series, but they're $54 a piece. It's a little pricey with the frequency response charts are very similar. Also, I've heard that the paper cone speakers reproduce certain instruments (electric guitar) better (don't know if that's true). The SDS speakers are 60W RMS and 110W peak with a frequency response of 40-4Khz. Peerless does make a full range version of the 6 1/2" SDS, but I wasn't sure what the crossover frequency (if any) is on the amplifier for our cars. With the tweeters in the front, I didn't want a woofer that went all the way up to 20Khz.

I have yet to replace the front speakers - I actually accidentally ordered the 5 1/4" version and so I have to return them for the 6 1/2". My front MLs are actually in great shape, so just with replacing the rears, the system sounds great! Not trying to get greedy, but if replacing the front woofers makes as much of a difference as replacing the rears, this should sound amazing!

I'll keep you guys posted. With that said, I have yet to find a high quality 16 ohms 8" woofer. I can find high quality 16 ohms woofers of larger sizes (10" and above) designed for home audio applications, but no 8". I've even tried finding one with dual 8 ohm coils. I found one - but it's not the best brand. If anybody has a suggestion for a drop-in replacement, please let me know. My ML sub is fine, but if the quality of the door speakers is any indication of the quality of the sub, I'd like to replace it.

Thanks!
Old 03-27-14, 11:02 AM
DTlexus
Driver School Candidate

Default Did you find a subwoofer replacement?

jonsimp911, your post was very helpful to me. My 2003 ES300 w/ ML subwoofer in the rear deck seemed to have blown out. I think the rest of my speakers are fine.

Do you have a recommended subwoofer replacement that I could purchase and self install?

Clearly, I am inexperienced to car audio replacement. Any recommendations or advice would be hugely helpful.

Thanks!
Old 01-31-18, 06:49 AM
raymcgill
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default same here....

new-to-me 2002 es300 with blown speakers. Will update with solution
Old 01-31-18, 05:07 PM
jettglx
Driver School Candidate

How do you know which stereo system the car has?
Old 02-05-18, 01:24 PM
raymcgill
Driver School Candidate

Yes, I bought both a 2002 LS430 UL and a 2002 ES300 about a week ago. Both have the Mark Levinson system. I am leaning toward refoaming any blown speakers and adding some sort of Bluetooth connection. Since they both have Nav, I don't have many choices. The LS430 has a Nav error on the screen, so the DVD is probably toast. I will probably see if I can update it with a USB replacement so I can put in a harddrive or something. It doesn't cost too much for a whole new stereo. The trim pieces cost $350 which is more than I would spend on high end craigslist parts.
Most aftermarket interfaces say 2004+ which is unfortunate. I won't go get the cars til March, so my fixing is limited to understanding my options and planning.
Old 02-14-18, 12:19 PM
cory143
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey, JonSimp911, thanks for the thorough post.

I have an 05 ES330. Do you know if the ML system is identical? Or similar but not identical? I'm searching for a replacement subwoofer as it just started sounding like crap.

thx.
Old 02-21-18, 07:21 AM
raymcgill
Driver School Candidate

@Cory123
Cory, the sub is the same 8" 16ohm sub (reads 12-14 on multimeter). The stereos are different 01-03/04-06
Old 09-15-18, 09:41 PM
zwang
Driver School Candidate

Default ES300 2002 rear deck subwoofer below taillight replacement

I would like to know where to find more information on specs or replacement for the sub. It has been sounding really badly for the last few weeks, so i basically turned the bass off. I'm not sure where I can find information on what woofers I can use as replacement. Or even if there is a guide on how to take the original subwoofer out