ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

3ES compatability list?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-12, 11:28 AM
lexproject
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 3ES compatability list?

I've inherited a neglected 97 ES 300. I did a search and didn't see anything. I'm just curious if there's any common toyota/lexus parts that might be interchangable. I know I saw in another post that the solara OEM strut bar would fit, that's down the road tho. the 1mz-fe engine seems to be fairly common across the board. I found a donor car at a local junk yard but I don't know how complete it is.

right off the bat I need a front drivers side fender, marker light, fog light and front bumper cover.
the rear bumper cover has a dent but I'm pretty sure I can knock it back out without cracking the paint.
the radio display is bad but the radio itself still works.
driver side butt heat doesn't work.
engine is going to need a fair amount of TLC. I haven't had a chance to dive into it to far so I'll just leave it at that.

I'm mechanically capable of doing all the work myself.

I know the front end is pretty Lexus specific but I figure if I can replace the other stuff with matching Toyota parts, I might be able to save a buck or two.

thanks in advance.

Mike
Old 12-01-12, 02:57 PM
lexproject
Driver School Candidate

well, I've been waiting on the experts to chime in (every message board has them )

in the mean time I've done some digging. apparently 92-01 camry suspension swaps right over. good to know, the suspension is loose. It's gonna need new bushings all the way around at the very least.

almost all lexus wheels are interchangable (I said almost) along with most any other front wheel drive car. honda 5 lug, acura, dodge, etc... 5x114.3 is pretty universal. love it.

I've gotta get it running right before I worry about it looking good though. I'm gonna be doing a full tune up soon.

Mike
The following users liked this post:
iltolesjr (02-11-19)
Old 12-01-12, 06:22 PM
ErikTheRed
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All of the body/ appearance parts are going to be Lexus specific, inside and outside. There may be a few things like some switchgear, possibly stereo parts that are close enough from Toyota to work, but you will have to take a really close look. Most of the major mechanicals like engine, Tranny, brakes, suspension are identical, or close enough it doesn't matter.

As a disclaimer, this has been my experience with my '98. After having a headlight taken out by some tire rubber on the interstate, I did a little poking around when I found out the local parts stores wanted $400 for a replacement. I found out that they have the same year Camry one for about $100, but it isn't even close to fitting. Plus side, people here told me about Rockauto.com and a few other places and I got it for about 1/4 the price. Just do a bit of research, ask the right questions, and all will be good
Old 12-01-12, 08:00 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

All of what ErikTheRed has said. It's interesting how the ES is known as a glorified Camry, but yet very few parts are actually interchangeable. Even though the suspension components might fit, you really don't want struts from a used car. So if you're having issues with noise, you're gonna need new parts. All the body panels, lights, etc, are all model specific. You're gonna have a hard time finding a seat heater, I honestly don't even know if you can replace them, since mine doesn't have heated seats. The radio display is replaceable through Pioneer - you can find it by going through my radio repair thread (linked in my signature).

Let us know if you need research on a specific part or what not, I know a lot of good references.
Old 12-02-12, 09:14 AM
lexproject
Driver School Candidate

I don't plan on using suspension parts from a used car but if I can find some Camry struts for cheaper I'm gonna use them. No noise but there's some drift in the steering and some float over bumps. Body panels will be used as long as they're straight. I'll probably throw an aftermarket radio in. I'm a metalsmith so if I can't find a filler I'll just make one. Once I start getting pieces and parts together I'll start a rehab/ build thread.
Old 12-02-12, 09:18 AM
lexproject
Driver School Candidate

I replaced the PCV filter today, cleaned the IAC and gave it a good seafoam treatment today. Definitely smoother and the low idle problem seems to have gone away. I need to do an oil change and replace the spark plugs next. When I find time I'm gonna jack it up so I can see just how bad the front suspension is.
Old 12-02-12, 09:21 AM
lexproject
Driver School Candidate

Do the one piece headlights from a 2000 fit with the 97 bumper or does that need to be upgraded too?
Old 12-02-12, 10:19 AM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by MrBooby
All of what ErikTheRed has said. It's interesting how the ES is known as a glorified Camry, but yet very few parts are actually interchangeable. Even though the suspension components might fit, you really don't want struts from a used car. So if you're having issues with noise, you're gonna need new parts. All the body panels, lights, etc, are all model specific. You're gonna have a hard time finding a seat heater, I honestly don't even know if you can replace them, since mine doesn't have heated seats. The radio display is replaceable through Pioneer - you can find it by going through my radio repair thread (linked in my signature).

Let us know if you need research on a specific part or what not, I know a lot of good references.
^ This guy is a goldmine for tech advice.

Originally Posted by lexproject
I don't plan on using suspension parts from a used car but if I can find some Camry struts for cheaper I'm gonna use them. No noise but there's some drift in the steering and some float over bumps. Body panels will be used as long as they're straight. I'll probably throw an aftermarket radio in. I'm a metalsmith so if I can't find a filler I'll just make one. Once I start getting pieces and parts together I'll start a rehab/ build thread.
If we're talking replacements, then dealer-to-dealer will be 'expensive' for OEM stuff.

However, when using a vendor like roackauto [which i use... A LOT], the price is the 'same' regardless of what make/model as long as the part is interchangeable between makes.
Ie. valve cover gaskets, work with sienna/solara/camry/es/rx330/rx300 ranging from 1996-2007 are the same price on RA.
Do the one piece headlights from a 2000 fit with the 97 bumper or does that need to be upgraded too?
They aren't one piece. The one pieces were 92-96 ES300's with the projectors & corners built into one.
All the housings are the same and bolt up 97-01 [differences in 00-01 were the Xenon option which had AFS & different design - but still bolt up the same way. If you're willing, you can get aftermarket replacements [a pair so they are just as clean] for 200$ on ebay, just search it on ebay motors and you'll find them.

Good luck!
Old 12-02-12, 12:17 PM
lexproject
Driver School Candidate

I love eBay. What about spark plugs? Any preferences?
Old 12-02-12, 02:17 PM
lexproject
Driver School Candidate

Lower control arm bushing is shot on the driver side. Whole thing shifts. That's what's causing acceleration drift. Doesn't look too hard to change. The other one us good but I'll replace it too.
Old 12-02-12, 03:38 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

I love eBay. What about spark plugs? Any preferences?
Rockauto is cheaper and more reliable in my experience.

I use NGK Iridium's, mine were 36$ or so for all six from rockauto, they're bkr6eix
Lower control arm bushing is shot on the driver side. Whole thing shifts. That's what's causing acceleration drift. Doesn't look too hard to change. The other one us good but I'll replace it too.
Get a new control arm, 'dorman' 45$/side from rockauto, i just replaced mine instead of trying to waste time pressing in new bushings [the hockey puck one is easy, the other one cannot be changed without ripping it to shreds], and the bushing kit was the same price as the full control arm - with no added labor...
Old 12-02-12, 06:05 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

You cannot use iridium single electrode spark plugs on the 97 ES, because of the waste spark design. You will need dual electrode platinum plugs - I got mine from Denso.
Old 12-02-12, 07:35 PM
Power6
Lead Lap

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

You cannot use iridium single electrode spark plugs on the 97 ES, because of the waste spark design. You will need dual electrode platinum plugs - I got mine from Denso.
Interesting I was sure you were wrong, but it seems Toyota took to using a 3 coils with waste spark on a number of the 1MZFEs, I had never seen a "half coil on plug" set up with 3 spark plug wires like that before. It looks like the later VVTi 99-01 motors have 6 coils so the same advice doesn't necessarily apply.
Old 12-02-12, 07:57 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Power6
Interesting I was sure you were wrong, but it seems Toyota took to using a 3 coils with waste spark on a number of the 1MZFEs, I had never seen a "half coil on plug" set up with 3 spark plug wires like that before. It looks like the later VVTi 99-01 motors have 6 coils so the same advice doesn't necessarily apply.
You are correct. '97 and '98 models have a warning sticker under the hood about using single electrode plugs.
Old 12-03-12, 04:44 AM
lexproject
Driver School Candidate

good to know. I'll pick some up today. probably change them this weekend. what about oil? the cap says 5W30.