ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Bluetooth for the 3ES Stock Radio?

Old 11-22-12, 06:09 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by Power6
What do you mean Mr B you won't buy all the options and let us know what works best ;-)

Too late for me to try the GROM myself too. It may seem like a bit of money, though typical to this type you might have a rudimentary control of an iPod with the CD track buttons, iPod will pause when you shut down the car etc which is nice if you like that sort of thing. Right now I have to shut my iPod off every time I park the car annoying....
:firstworldproblems:
Old 11-22-12, 09:50 PM
Power6
Lead Lap

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by MrBooby
:firstworldproblems:
Tell me about it! In the wife's Subaru I have to hold the window switches to close the windows...
Old 12-05-12, 11:19 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Got the kit on Friday, had it up and running by Saturday night. Took me two long evenings to get everything hooked up - I'm a complete amateur at this.

The first night was spent figuring out all the wiring and finding a good location for the switch. Ended up mounting it inside the glove box - had to remove it to run the wires and drill a hole in one of the panels. It ended up being super stealthy and looks factory. I also wasn't sure how I was gonna tap into the cigarette lighter for power, until I saw this youtube clip.

The second night, I spend soldering the power and ground connections, and tidying everything up. I zip tied all the wiring to make it more manageable. Also zip tied the Bluetooth Transmitter to one of the supporting braces inside the dash.

Results:

The sound output is almost equal to the cassette adapter. The bass is a bit more prominent and the highs are not as loud. It can be a downside on certain songs, but for the most part I'm okay with it. My main goal was to implement Bluetooth into the stock radio and get rid of the wires, while retaining the factory look. If you're looking for great sound quality, this is not for you.
edit: I have changed my mind about the sound quality, it's explained in the next post.

I took a picture of my soldered connections, just in case somebody tries to do this in the future. There are four wires in the Cigarette Lighter harness, the Pinkish wire is power, and the Black/White wire is Ground (they're right next to each other on one side of the connector).

p.s.: I can film a little video, if anyone's interested.

Last edited by Hayk; 01-25-13 at 04:16 PM.
Old 01-22-13, 03:57 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Figured I would update this thread with my final thoughts, after a month of continuous usage.

I'm not sure if it's just me, but I no longer have any issues with the sound quality. In fact I think it's better than what it was with the Cassette Adapter. What I think threw me off, is the fact that I can hear more sounds/instruments, which I didn't hear before.

The device connects to my phone as soon as I start the car, so there is barely any lag. The only time I have connection issues is when I restart the engine from the Accessory mode, such as at a gas station. In that case, all you have to do is reach inside the glove box and reset the adapter. I usually wait for about 5 seconds, before turning it back on, otherwise it doesn't reconnect.

In conclusion, it's a bit difficult to install, but I think the end result is well worth it. As for charging my phone, I have a car charger inside the arm rest.
Old 01-25-13, 03:41 PM
MrShim78
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HI,

So just to understand, when its off you can use your FM radio, and when its one, your phone is connected.
BUT you cant take calls on it..so ic ant have this AND a bluetooth speakerphone at the same time?
Old 01-25-13, 04:13 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MrShim78
HI,

So just to understand, when its off you can use your FM radio, and when its one, your phone is connected.
BUT you cant take calls on it..so ic ant have this AND a bluetooth speakerphone at the same time?
When it's off, the radio functions like stock. When it's on, you lose all AM stations and the FM station that your Bluetooth transmitter is connected to, which in my case is 88.3 (iirc). You can still listen to the other station with no issues.

Yes, this is strictly for audio, it cannot take calls. I believe they sell a more expensive kit that can incorporate phone calls.
Old 01-25-13, 10:36 PM
MrShim78
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok i will search for the more expensive model.
what do you think of these products/hacks?
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Car-Music-MP3...#ht_6287wt_956

not elegant or as clean but i wonder about the quality!!