ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

How long does KYB take to settle?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-12, 03:28 AM
gabzor
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How long does KYB take to settle?

I've just done my mom's car with KYB struts all around, and i changed everything else to lexus oem except spring perch, and springs.. strut mounts are brand new oem, as well as bumpers and boots..

but the KYB's seem stiffer and more harsh than the blown struts it had before (just no more bottoming out/clunk sounds).. i've driven the car about 1000 miles, and still the car is more stiff than most of my friends with their lowered bmws... i can feel every bump..

i read many posts saying that once they settle they are okay, and oem quality.. but just how long does that take? i want to give my mom the car fixed :P but i've also read posts that they are stiff... and remain stiff and harsh for a while

i got kyb gr2/exel-g's on all 4, and like i said earlier lexus oem strut mounts, oem bearings, oem bumpstops, oem covers.. only the spring and perch pads are original.
also got brand new tires, brand new LCA's (aftermarket), and a fresh alignment..

i was running 32 psi on all 4's as suggested, was stiff, but to increase mpg (i had a 400 mile trip)
i put 37 in front, and 35 in rear.. my god is it stiff :P
Old 09-30-12, 05:11 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Try lowering the tire pressure according to the placard. I believe it states that for a load up to 4 people you should run 26 psi. And, for carrying up to full vehicle load capacity to run 32 psi. From what it sounds like you are driving alone, so I suggest you try lowering the to 26 psi. Remember to check and adjust tire pressure when the tires are COLD, so preferably first thing in the morning.

I'm not to sure what the break in period is. I'll have to ask my uncle (he's a mechanic).
Old 09-30-12, 01:59 PM
gabzor
Pole Position

thanks alot, will do.. haha yeah for the trip to sd, i was hauling stuff though removed the back seats, and the spare..

won't 26psi effect my mpg badly?

(most of the time i have 2 people in the car)
Old 09-30-12, 02:33 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

You're welcome.

Yes, it will lower your mpg compared to what you get at 32 psi but not by a lot. It's a compromise for a smother ride. You will lose mpg and handling.
Old 09-30-12, 08:40 PM
MCL23
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just recently changed my struts to KYB GR2/Excel G's and also lowered with Tein S tech springs. My car was stiff for about 2-3 weeks and then the struts settled and I noticed the ride getting a lot softer when going over bumps. It's funny because I actually liked the stiffer ride and better handling and was a little disappointed when they softened out. So I recently just bought a Whiteline rear sway bar to improve turn-in and it definitely makes a difference. Hopefully your struts settle soon.
Old 10-01-12, 06:14 AM
gabzor
Pole Position

hahal lets hope so! its on stock springs.. its for my mom.. so def needs to settle! although she probably wouldn't mind the sway bar..

i remember i had a 330ci with H&R swabars.. she complains about EVERY damned car not handling properly now -___- (didn't own it for very long, but she drove it for a while as her car needed a new tranny, and i didn't mind the bus that much , i lie..) :P

wow mcl23 how the hell did you bear with the ride quality.. haha than again springs have to settle as well.. maybe you're springs settled :P or do springs only effect height more than rebound/softness/stiffness? on the 405 my teeth rattle more than most of my friend's cars which are slammed...
Old 10-01-12, 12:17 PM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

KYBs are known to be on the stiffer side, it will probably soften up a bit when you put some miles on it, but it's always going to be firmer than OEM or a brand like Monroe.

KYB have an excellent reputation and are a great bargain, but for a luxury car, I prefer a softer ride.
Old 10-03-12, 01:17 AM
gabzor
Pole Position

exactly.. haha with i had good luck with bilsteins on my older benz.. kyb used to be known as keep your bilsteins.. haha