ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

98 Lexus Es300 failed CA Emissions

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-12, 08:23 PM
DGIKULJOT
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mdbrown
EGR won't cause that, it only reduces NOX. It's quite possible that it's the cat. It's possible you might have a lean misfire as well. You need to scan for other codes. Check the air intake boot for cracks. Check for a possible intake manifold leak as well.
Currently their are no leaking vaccum hose and no cracks on the air intake hose. What continues to amaze me though is why it runs perfectly fine at all other times, but only detects a lean condition when I take it in and he puts it on the roller. Can you or anyone else think of anything that would cause a lean reading only when the front of the vehicle is on a ramp for the roller?

Could it be that possibly the fuel pressure regulator is not properly adjusting to the changed slope?
Thanks
Old 10-06-12, 05:32 AM
mdbrown
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Can't see any reason why the dynamometer would cause that. You might try putting your car on the same incline and watching what happens. It's possible that the load caused by the dyno is exploiting a minor air leak that isn't as bad when not under such a load.
Old 10-06-12, 04:31 PM
DGIKULJOT
Rookie

So I took the car in for dfiagnosis. According the shop, they can find anything wrong or figure out why the ecu detetcts a lean. According to them everything seems to me working fine and there are no vaccum leaks or anything.

So they believe it is the ECU that is going bad. According to them to find a used ecu with a matching master key it will be 800 dolalrs. This car has 164k miles on it. DO you guys think it is worth it, or do you believe the ecu is going bad?

Thanks
Old 10-06-12, 06:50 PM
mdbrown
Lead Lap

Unlikely it's the control module. Possible just highly unlikely. Again, you need to duplicate the conditions and then attempt to diagnose.
Old 10-08-12, 07:56 AM
DGIKULJOT
Rookie

Unlikely it's the control module. Possible just highly unlikely. Again, you need to duplicate the conditions and then attempt to diagnose.
Thanks and I agree with that.

One thing I noticed is that when the po171 code was set the long term fuel trim for bank 1 was only like 8% but the long term fuel trim for bank 2 was +43%!!!!

The air fuel ratio sensor for bank 1 was replaced a few months ago but the afr for bank 2 has never been replaced. So is it possible that during these emmisions tests even tho a p0171 is set, indiacting bank 1 is running lean that is is actually bank 2 running lean and over correcting since that bank had a 43% trim. Should I go ahead and replace the front afr sensor?
Old 10-08-12, 04:18 PM
mdbrown
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by DGIKULJOT
Thanks and I agree with that.

One thing I noticed is that when the po171 code was set the long term fuel trim for bank 1 was only like 8% but the long term fuel trim for bank 2 was +43%!!!!

The air fuel ratio sensor for bank 1 was replaced a few months ago but the afr for bank 2 has never been replaced. So is it possible that during these emmisions tests even tho a p0171 is set, indiacting bank 1 is running lean that is is actually bank 2 running lean and over correcting since that bank had a 43% trim. Should I go ahead and replace the front afr sensor?
That's possible but you'd need to look at streaming data to see what the afr sensor is doing in real time. Much more likely is unmetered air entering the system and causing the computer to add fuel to keep the mixture correct. I'd almost bet somewhere unmetered air is getting in whether it's through the intake air boot, throttle body, intake gasket, etc.... that's where I'd be looking.

You might consider getting a can of throttle body cleaner and, while the engine idles, spray down the intake manifold base, throttle body where it bolts to the intake, air intake boot, etc and see if the idle kicks up. That would indicate where the air leak is. If you choose to do that, be careful around the exhaust manifold and egr valve.
Old 10-08-12, 09:12 PM
DGIKULJOT
Rookie

That's possible but you'd need to look at streaming data to see what the afr sensor is doing in real time. Much more likely is unmetered air entering the system and causing the computer to add fuel to keep the mixture correct. I'd almost bet somewhere unmetered air is getting in whether it's through the intake air boot, throttle body, intake gasket, etc.... that's where I'd be looking.

You might consider getting a can of throttle body cleaner and, while the engine idles, spray down the intake manifold base, throttle body where it bolts to the intake, air intake boot, etc and see if the idle kicks up. That would indicate where the air leak is. If you choose to do that, be careful around the exhaust manifold and egr valve.
Although the shop claims they have already tested and found absolutely no leaks, I will do that in about 2 days when I get the car back home. A friend in another city borrowed it to try to diagnose it.

One of my other questions was, do these cars have any known problems with injectors? I have a cheap sound scope to test them to see if they are firing or not. What sucks is we have to get CA Emmisions fuel injectors as well and they are like 150 to 200 dollars each here. Once i get the car back I will test the resistance and the sound check to make sure they are firing correctly.

Finally what would be the procedure to test the fuel pressure regulator in the tank? I was thinking maybe raising the front of the car somehow messed with the fuel pressure regulator?

I really do not want to get rid of this car as I love it to death!!!!!!!

Thank,
Kuljot Dhami
Old 10-09-12, 10:17 AM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Since they said there are no vacuum leak or exhaust leak, i wad say you got a defective a/f ratio sensor. But have them run a smoke test to confirm becuz the intake manifold gasket do leak.
Old 10-09-12, 09:14 PM
DGIKULJOT
Rookie

Hey Guys Awesome news!!!!!!!!! My friends in Yuba City were able to fix my car and smog it!!!. I didnt find out what they repalced but the total cost was $550. Cant wait to make the 50min drive on Thursday to pick up my baby and bring it back home. Im super excited because for the past few days I have been driving a civic with sucks compared to my Es300!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-09-12, 09:39 PM
mdbrown
Lead Lap

Congratulations. Share with us what was done, it helps build the data for everyone.
Old 10-10-12, 12:53 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Should say what they did on the invoice