ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Need your opinion - chrome or black pillars?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-12, 01:27 PM
andybisnut
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need your opinion - chrome or black pillars?

Hi everyone,

Recently picked up an '03 ES 300 at a local dealer. This particular car has chrome pillars. I'm on the fence about them. Which do you like better?

Mine (w/ chrome pillars):

OR

Black pillars (some random photo):

Besides the fact the the professional photo looks way better than mine, which do you prefer? The chrome pillars that I have, or the stock black ones? Thanks.
Old 08-21-12, 02:13 PM
clunkjunk
Driver School Candidate

I prefer the black but the chrome doesn't look bad. I wonder how carbon fiber would look like?
Old 08-21-12, 02:19 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

On a black exterior like pictured, I like the Chrome as long as it's "high quality" and doesn't start chipping off.
Old 08-21-12, 02:55 PM
ErikTheRed
Rookie

I like the black better, especially if you end up with tinted windows.
Old 08-21-12, 08:10 PM
Power6
Lead Lap

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

You know the chrome doesn't look bad there. I do prefer the black because it gives the seamless window look to the styling, rather than calling out "hey look at me I'm a chrome pillar!"
Old 08-21-12, 09:05 PM
AlphaOnion
Pole Position

BLACK
BLACK
BLACK
BLACK
BLACK

Sorry but chrome pillars make me sick. The reason they are black is so that the windows blend together into one big flowing oval shape. ESPECIALLY when the windows are tinted. It's a visual design cue used by professional designers. When you put chrome on them, it blatantly screams out, "Hey! These are obviously two distinctly separated windows! I'm drawing a big, thick, flashy line right down the middle of the car to cut it in half and ruin the visual flow that was intended by the designers!"

So do you see my point as to why chrome pillars are bad? In my opinion, they're one of the worst things that's ever happened to automotive culture. Just like those fake plastic vents that people stick onto the fenders of their Buicks.
Old 08-21-12, 09:10 PM
24boosted
Pole Position

Black, chrome looks tacky.
Old 08-21-12, 09:10 PM
Power6
Lead Lap

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Haha no the Buicks come stock with the VentiPorts!! Everyone else has to go to PepBoys to get their stick on vents...
Old 08-21-12, 11:05 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by Power6
Haha no the Buicks come stock with the VentiPorts!! Everyone else has to go to PepBoys to get their stick on vents...
That's the sad part.

+1 on black pillars. At least the previous owner didn't do the lights and fenders.
Old 08-22-12, 08:01 AM
andybisnut
Rookie

Wow some people are very passionate about pillars! LOL. OK, seems like most of you say black, even though a couple thought the chrome was OK. I am starting to agree that the black looks classier. So - how to get them off? It looks like the chrome strips are just "stuck" on over the black. Do you think I could get them off without damaging the black paint beneath?
Old 08-22-12, 08:29 AM
99es300LM
Driver School Candidate

I put carbon fiber on my wife's Es. But her handles and fuel door also have it. Looks real nice with black. With your chrime handles I would stick with black or chrome. Why introduce a 3rd random texture.
Old 08-22-12, 08:54 AM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by andybisnut
Wow some people are very passionate about pillars! LOL. OK, seems like most of you say black, even though a couple thought the chrome was OK. I am starting to agree that the black looks classier. So - how to get them off? It looks like the chrome strips are just "stuck" on over the black. Do you think I could get them off without damaging the black paint beneath?
Nope. It will most likely rip that trim piece right off... Which is why I'd say leave it
Old 08-22-12, 11:05 AM
AlphaOnion
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Power6
LOL I know, I was talking about the older lowrider Buicks, Cadillacs and Impala's that are covered in chrome and have massive, gaudy 24 inch chrome wheels haha
Old 08-22-12, 11:56 AM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

You might try the Heatgun/Hairdryer trick for debadging cars. What you do is heat up the adhesive and then cut it with a fishing line, dental floss, or a piece of string. Then if there is any residue, you can remove it with Goo Gone.
Old 08-22-12, 01:09 PM
CaddyMatt
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by AlphaOnion
Sorry but chrome pillars make me sick. The reason they are black is so that the windows blend together into one big flowing oval shape. ESPECIALLY when the windows are tinted. It's a visual design cue used by professional designers. When you put chrome on them, it blatantly screams out, "Hey! These are obviously two distinctly separated windows! I'm drawing a big, thick, flashy line right down the middle of the car to cut it in half and ruin the visual flow that was intended by the designers!"
^^^ this.

I learned the impact of visual styling cues from a buddy of mine who's into 50's era Chevy cars and trucks. He spent many nights explaining the importance of "visual flow" to a vehicle, and how the body lines and trim work together to create and maintain that flow... I think the car looks great with black pillars. It looks classy, the window shape is highlighted only by the chrome edging that runs the entire circumference of both back windows. "Just enough" so to speak.

The chrome pillars seem very out of place.. borderline tacky. Have you ever seen those cars riding around with chrome edging on every single side of every single door on the vehicle? Same concept here.. breaks visual continuity and looks plain tacky. And this is from someone who runs big bling wheels . But seriously, it's your decision/your vehicle, and if it looks good to you then go for it! You have a beautiful car either way.

I lol'd... if I had a dollar for every Ford or Chevy truck riding around down here in South Texas with 6 chrome vents from the local Wal-Mart plastered on each side, and half the time they aren't even lined up correctly.. well let's just say I would be driving an LFA. LOL

You might try the Heatgun/Hairdryer trick for debadging cars. What you do is heat up the adhesive and then cut it with a fishing line, dental floss, or a piece of string. Then if there is any residue, you can remove it with Goo Gone.
Try this ^^^. It works wonders for debadging, and I believe those are simply stuck on with adhesive. Remember to work slowly with the heat gun to avoid damaging anything you don't intend on removing

Anyways congrats on the car, what other mods do you plan on doing?

Quick Reply: Need your opinion - chrome or black pillars?