ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

How Many Miles Are On Your Es300??

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-02, 11:34 PM
Nabeel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by DesertRat
I have ca. 71,000 on my '96.

I have pretty much the same gripes as Xenon: Way too much wind noise and some burned out lamps in the instrument panel.

Sorry to keep raggin' on this, but some of the problems I'm reading about in this forum just don't seem right. A rebuilt tranny at 115k? Leaky cam cover gaskets? Based on my experience with Hondas and some other vehicles made by Toyota, the engine and transmission should go to 200k, no problem, the dash bulbs should NEVER burn out, and there should be NO wind noise!

Don't get me wrong...I love my ES, but there's a good chance my next car won't be a Lexus.
No offense intended, but I think you're expecting a little too much out of your car. As the milage increases, any car will develop problems, regardless of whether it is a Lexus, BMW, Mercedes, Acura, whatever. With that said, Lexus IS better than any other brand when it comes to long-term overall reliability. Honda cars develop their own problems over time, just like Lexus.
The following users liked this post:
Ezroni (05-31-21)
Old 11-15-02, 11:43 PM
squarehat
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

85,400 on a 1996, only flaw is a little sun damage to the leather on the passenger seat and top of the back bench...Tiny bit of wind noise if the sunshade for the sunroof is open and it's a windy day or I'm driving on the freeway.

To add my opinion
The owners of a lot of other makes of cars, upscale and common, would be pretty happy if their only problems at 145K were wind noise from aging gaskets and burned out backlights. Most people would take that over having to rebuild their engine or transmission. My 95 BMW needed a $1200 catalytic converter at 83K.
The following users liked this post:
Ezroni (05-31-21)
Old 11-16-02, 12:39 AM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Just hit 119,000 miles today on my '96 ES coach edition. Ever since I did the 90k service, I have no major problems with the engine or the parts under the hood. Like some of you, I do get wind noise coming from the driver and passenger windows, but that's basically the fault in the aging of the rubber gaskets. Some parts of the leather seats are hardening at the surface, especially where mostly exposed to the sun (I could definitely feel the difference when sitting inside a '99 coach last Wednesday at the dealership!). On top of that, to maintain the engine longer, I'll probably have to think about changing the MOA and the 44k fuel cleaner fluids soon.

Other than that, all lights work inside and out, the car looks nice and clean too, whether washed or not, and it drives smooth every day. I can now see why Lexus wins over the other luxury cars in reliability
Old 11-16-02, 01:00 AM
Parlett316
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

95 ES300 - 82000

w00t
Old 11-16-02, 01:04 AM
dariusman19
Driver School Candidate

I think I have the lowest miles for my year..

1994.........73,457 mi. needs new motor mounts that's all!
Old 11-16-02, 01:05 AM
zexen
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

yo desertrat, i'd have to agree with nabeel... nothing offensive... but expecting ALL Lexus made cars to last past 200k is expecting quite a lot... things break over time. not every car is made with the same parts. If they were all made with the same exact parts that were already tested to last past 200k, then most every well-maintained Lexus could pass 200k with no problem. Every car manufacturer has their own problems that appear. After having so many different makes and models in the family, out entire family has switched over to Lexus. Having 3 Lexus' in the family is great... but my mom won't let me drive the RX because it has never been in an accident... and i'm not 16 until november the 19th.
Old 11-16-02, 02:01 AM
EastCoastES
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does this mean I get 1st place for 180,000 miles??? ALso, no one answered my question: How much longer do you think I have with my beloved vehicle? So far, the engine and tranny are running PERFECTLY. No glitches at all....
Old 11-16-02, 02:50 PM
XenonES3
Lexus Test Driver

eastcostES- If you take care of it, I don't see why you can't hit 1,000,000 miles! It's been done with a Beetle before, and we all know VW's quality compared to Lexus

-to touch on Desertrat's point-

You definately got a point, but Nabeel and Zeta make sense too. Sure, it is unusual when the wind noise all of a sudden goes from pleasantly unnoticable to downright annoying....and the dash bulbs blowing out....but we have to remember these are OLD cars and for them to have only these problems is admirable.

We used to have a '93 Dodge Grand Caravan LE that was perfectly maintained and serviced at the dealer. Nonetheless, the POS had to have its tranny replaced 3 times, a leaking oil pan, marginally reduced fuel efficiency and engine power, rattling, creaking, sliding door not closing properly, power window failure, liftgate latch failure, 2 speakers would randomly have spurts of nothing but static, moldings were peeling, ABS problems........i could go on....

The van was traded for a toyota sienna in 01. So, after a little more than 8 years, the dodge had that many problems. Now compare that to Lexus. I'm more than happy
Old 11-16-02, 03:51 PM
DesertRat
Driver School Candidate

Smile Good points!

Good points were made by you guys in response to my criticisms of Lexus quality. I guess my ES suffers a little when compared to the best car I have had to date: a 1989 Honda CRX Si I had for 9 years and 160,000 miles. That car never needed anything but routine maintenance, mostly oil changes and tires. Probably an unfair comparison, since I bought the Honda new, took really good care of it, and it might have been unusual in its reliability and durabilty. Using a single car as a source of data is what the scientists call "anecdotal evidence", and not a reliable analytical tool.

So...I'll continue to report my problems but I'll lighten up a bit. I do love my ES. It hauls ***, handles fairly well, looks cool, is comfortable, looks and smells new, and has a good stereo.

My next car might not be a Lexus but, on the other hand, it might be a used GS300 for GS430--love those things!
Old 11-16-02, 05:46 PM
SW03ES
Pole Position

Well, my Lexus has 0 miles on it, that is if it has the odometer installed yet
Old 11-17-02, 04:52 AM
themasta3
Rookie

eastcoastes,

LOL, these fools aint got ***** on us!!!! i just hit 170,000 today (even thought you still got me beat by 10k). i love my ES and i don't plan on giving up on its engine any time soon. everything under the hood is original, and ever since i bought it a year ago i havent had anything major to fix on it, just a couple bad seals that were causing some oil leaks. i've been lookin on ebay lately and you'd be suprised how many high-mileage ES's are on there. just the other day i saw an ES with over 220,000. i'm a senior right now, and my business teacher just sold his 91 LS with 225,000 on it for $5,500. LS's usually go for more $$$ than ES's do, but that's still a good indication of how Lexus engines will keep on runnin' if they're taken good care of. i plan on drivin' my Lex (also my 1st car) until dies, or until it's just not economically wise to pay for the repairs on it. i've only put 10,000 on my car since i bought it, but i've had virtually NOOOOO problems with it, which is *****in' awesome for a high-mileage car like mine and yours!! i'm hoping that my car will make it to 250,000 or at least another 5 years when i graduate from college. i know there aren't many "American Car" owners that can say that!!! and thats why im damn proud to own a car made by the Japs, cuz they sure as hell know how to make high-quality cars!!!!!!!!

Peace,

Curtis
Old 11-17-02, 03:07 PM
XenonES3
Lexus Test Driver

just found out my cousin just got rid of his 95 ES.....with 382K!!!!!!!!!!!!

He got a new 350Z and a 97 ES with 41K (for winter) just this past week in celebration for getting accepted to Harvard Med School.
Old 11-17-02, 04:56 PM
mcelligott
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

150k here -- if i do all that ive been planning with the car, it wont live to see 250 though
Old 11-18-02, 01:48 AM
LarryParker
Driver

1992 ES--226,000 miles! Original engine and trans! Yes, I'm holding my breath-especially considering the cost for a new or rebuilt engine and trans!
Old 11-18-02, 01:58 PM
njes300
Pole Position

97 just broke 60 k . Reason for low mileage is because i have been driving a ford taurus 4/7 days a week . My daily commute is 90miles . It still runs like when i frst got it . Hopefully it will saty this way .

Quick Reply: How Many Miles Are On Your Es300??