ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Reverse (Backup) Lightbulb Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-24, 05:15 PM
volvodude
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Reverse (Backup) Lightbulb Replacement

Hi,

I have a 1998 ES300.

Apparently the reverse lightbulbs are out.

I notice a small wedge like cover in the inner side of the light assembly on the trunk lid that appears to open. I haven't opened it yet. It's dark out now so I will have to wait until tomorrow. Anyway, Looks like a small opening but I'm assuming it gives you access to the bulbs.

I can't find any videos on replacing the reverse bulbs. Any tips? I'm hoping it can be done without removing the light assembly.

Thank you.
Old 01-05-24, 05:34 PM
Arsenii
Pole Position

Received 748 Likes on 626 Posts

Hello,

There is a small access port on each side of the trunk lid, which gives you a pretty easy access to the Reverse Bulbs.

Though it is a lot easier to understand when you see it then when it's written down..

Hope thus helps and best of luck!
The following users liked this post:
volvodude (01-05-24)
Old 01-05-24, 05:51 PM
volvodude
Driver

Originally Posted by Arsenii
Hello,

There is a small access port on each side of the trunk lid, which gives you a pretty easy access to the Reverse Bulbs.

Though it is a lot easier to understand when you see it then when it's written down..

Hope thus helps and best of luck!
I noticed the access ports. Glad to hear they provide pretty easy access. As soon as I receive the bulbs I'll give it a whirl.

Both bulbs are out. I'm hoping there isn't a wiring issue. But they may have gone out separately and who knows how long ago. The lightbulb out indicator on the dash has been lit up for years even with all bulbs working. Possibly a mismatch. I've never looked into it.

Thank you!
Old 01-05-24, 06:10 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,701 Likes on 2,287 Posts

Reverse lights are not part of the lamp failure warning in the cluster. Check the wires by the trunk hinge. Other causes are very old bulbs or the lamp failure box is bad.
The following 2 users liked this post by LeX2K:
VanZ (01-14-24), volvodude (01-05-24)
Old 01-05-24, 06:30 PM
volvodude
Driver

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Reverse lights are not part of the lamp failure warning in the cluster. Check the wires by the trunk hinge. Other causes are very old bulbs or the lamp failure box is bad.
years ago when I replaced a bulb in one of the taillight assemblies I noticed one of the sockets was a little melted. The bulb was hard to remove and replace if I remember correctly. Yet all the bulbs worked. Not sure if someone had previously used the wrong bulb or what. Anyway, I'll check the wiring by the trunk hinge. Thank you for the tip!
Old 01-06-24, 07:26 AM
volvodude
Driver

Are the reverse light bulbs the only bulbs located in the lens enclosure attached to the trunk lid?

Apparently the license plate light is out. And I previously noticed the trunk light is out. I'm starting to wonder if it is a wiring issue possibly along the trunk hinge. I will take a look once it stops raining and there's some good day light out. I don't currently have access to a garage.
Old 01-10-24, 05:15 PM
volvodude
Driver

I found the issue. I unraveled the electrical tape from the wiring running below the left hinge and found four severed wires. Fun stuff. Now I'm wondering if it would be helpful to extend the wiring length when splicing them together to give them more free play to prevent them from breaking again in the future?
Old 01-11-24, 10:52 PM
Arsenii
Pole Position

While I have never attempted it before, you can try replacing part of the factory wiring that is most susceptible to wear with Silicone wiring, which tends to have very fine strands on the inside, making those wires exceptionally flexible, basically like headphone wire, here is a link to one I stumbled across. Cut about 20cm of factory wiring on each side of the damage, maybe more, depending on the circumstances, then use Crimp Connectors with the wire mentioned above to complete the circuit, then route it back into the factory conduit.

Hope this helps and best of luck!
The following 2 users liked this post by Arsenii:
VanZ (01-14-24), volvodude (01-12-24)
Old 01-11-24, 10:57 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

I find it best to get a piece of donor harness, even better if it's from the same loom that way you have matching colours. Splice in from a section that doesn't bend. Leave slightly more slack than factory. The "proper" way to repair this is replace all the wires or it probably won't be long until more break.

Silicone insulation doesn't hold up very well it cracks. Same thing happens with silicone vacuum lines they have a reputation of being better but they fail pretty quickly. Best Toyota wires are from the late 80's to about 2001 after that the insulation became inferior.
The following 2 users liked this post by LeX2K:
VanZ (01-14-24), volvodude (01-12-24)
Old 01-11-24, 11:06 PM
Arsenii
Pole Position

Silicone insulation doesn't hold up very well it cracks. Same thing happens with silicone vacuum lines they have a reputation of being better but they fail pretty quickly. Best Toyota wires are from the late 80's to about 2001 after that the insulation became inferior.
Hard to argue that the insulation on the wiring in newer Toyotas became a lot more rigid, and the wires themselves became smaller gauge, not too pleasing to work with. That said, I am not sure about Silicone isolation, unlike in the engine bay, there won't be any constant heat cycles and exposure to some pretty harsh chemicals, it's a trunk area after all. Considering how much finer the strands are, unless the insulation gives in, this wire will outlast the factory solution greatly.

Hope this helps and best of luck!
volvodude (01-12-24)
Old 01-14-24, 01:25 PM
VanZ
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I actually just bypassed my Light Failure Switch in my '92. It was causing problems with the halogens I had in, and would stay on now that I've converted to LEDs.
Old 01-14-24, 01:28 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

The problem I had with silicone wire is tape doesn't stick properly, over time the entire mass of tape moved as once piece smearing the adhesive around. And the tape started to fall off. I'm sticking with what I know is good, OEM wires.
Originally Posted by VanZ
I actually just bypassed my Light Failure Switch in my '92. It was causing problems with the halogens I had in, and would stay on now that I've converted to LEDs.
I simply pulled the bulb out of the cluster.
Old 01-14-24, 01:36 PM
VanZ
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I simply pulled the bulb out of the cluster.
Mine was actually causing issues with rear runners cutting out when my indicators were on. I tracked down a faulty bulb (which was part of the problem) but jumping pins and getting rid of the LFS altogether seemed to solve the problem with working bulbs.
LeX2K (01-14-24)
Old 01-14-24, 01:48 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by VanZ
Mine was actually causing issues with rear runners cutting out when my indicators were on. I tracked down a faulty bulb (which was part of the problem) but jumping pins and getting rid of the LFS altogether seemed to solve the problem with working bulbs.
Depending on year there is a shunt wire or resistor both are prone to frying themselves or the traces they are soldered to. A problematic design for sure. Good thing is LEDs draw at least 50% less power I've noticed on my cars that are all LED that the alternator has to work way less.