ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

What's wrong with my car?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-12, 10:43 PM
innes
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's wrong with my car?

Hello everyone! I'm a college student right now and I've been having problems with my car and was wondering if anyone would be able to help me out-

A couple weeks ago I was about to take a road trip back home to find my car completely dead- power locks didn't even work not to mention any lights or stereo equipment. Thankfully, I was able to call the university police and they brought a mobile battery jumper and I was off and running.

However a week or so later, my car died again (stereo equipment/lights still worked though) and while I was able to jump it again, every time afterwards the car seemed to take longer to crank and turnover. I then had to jump it a couple more times until yesterday night when the car now won't even start at all.

Instead of attempting to crank, the car just stays silent- odd, since the headlights, interior lights, and stereo still work. I tried using the jumper pack and left it hooked up for an hour or so, but the car still won't turn over. Do I need to get my car towed to an auto shop?

P.S: I live in a warm weather climate in case that's helpful at all
Old 01-29-12, 01:19 AM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

Your battery is dead, and I suspect that you have a parasitic draw on the system. What that means is that even when the car is off, there is something that keeps draining the battery. You will definitely need to replace the battery, but also have the car looked at so that you won't have to keep buying new batteries.
Old 01-29-12, 02:03 AM
paperboy42
Driver School Candidate

sounds like a starter problem. you say your stereo still works so it cannot be battery. i dont think the 2 incidents are related because you siad the first time the stereo didnt work at all. perhaps you accidently left a light on that time.
Old 01-29-12, 07:37 AM
brucelee1
Racer

Received 87 Likes on 74 Posts

It might still be the battery. Since thatg is pretty cheap to fix, start there.
Old 01-29-12, 11:07 AM
EEngineer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

sounds like your typical dying battery
Old 01-29-12, 10:02 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by EEngineer
sounds like your typical dying battery
Yeah it sounds pretty standard, but I just want to make sure it's not something else as well.

Oh and just an fyi. You might have just drained the battery beyond the point of recovery. Age also plays a big role. Most batteries only last about five years.
Old 01-30-12, 04:44 PM
VicsIS350
Driver

test battery if it has the proper voltage before starting car use voltmeter if it has proper voltage then maybe it's just not charging so once on remove positive post on battery if car turns off you may have a bad alternator replace it. I believe you can go to a local Autozone/Advance Auto and have your battery checked. I have several cars sso don't know proper voltage maybe someone here can say what it is.
Old 01-30-12, 05:12 PM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by VicsIS350
test battery if it has the proper voltage before starting car use voltmeter if it has proper voltage then maybe it's just not charging so once on remove positive post on battery if car turns off you may have a bad alternator replace it. I believe you can go to a local Autozone/Advance Auto and have your battery checked. I have several cars sso don't know proper voltage maybe someone here can say what it is.
A battery should NEVER be disconnected while the car is running. You could damage the alternator, and possibly other electronic components.

Phil

Last edited by PFB; 01-30-12 at 05:19 PM.
Old 01-30-12, 05:26 PM
VicsIS350
Driver

Originally Posted by PFB
A battery should NEVER be disconnected while the car is running. You could damage the alternator, and possibly other electronic components.

Phil
well several times completed on several cars and many models and type including Benz and no issue so I'll follow my way thanks

OP since removal of one battery post is possibly problematic use voltmeter to check voltage it suppose to be be a rough amount while off then when started it surges and the surge is caused by the alternator (I believe) it should show higher then when off if it doesn't then it could point at your alternator..the same as if car is on and lights are on if you press the brakes and it dims alot that can point at alternator also

Last edited by VicsIS350; 01-30-12 at 05:33 PM.
Old 01-30-12, 05:35 PM
EEngineer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by VicsIS350
well several times completed on several cars and many models and type including Benz and no issue so I'll follow my way thanks

OP since removal of one battery post is possibly problematic use voltmeter to check voltage it suppose to be be a rough amount while off then when started it surges and the surge is caused by the alternator (I believe) it should show higher then when off if it doesn't then it could point at your alternator..the same as if car is on and lights are on if you press the brakes and it dims alot that can point at alternator also
ur kidding right? just because you did it doesnt make you right.
Old 01-30-12, 08:08 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Yes, please don't mess with the battery and have a qualified technician load test it.

p.s.: No offense to the OP, but do you really think that someone who can't spot a dead battery will be able to go through all the diagnosis by him/herself?
Old 01-30-12, 09:15 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Make sure your battery connections are tight. It's common on these cars corrosion eats the battery clamps and they will lose their thickness and becomes lose. If battery connection checks out fine. Get the battery load tested see if battery still good. Check charging system within specs. And lastly, would be starter.
Old 01-31-12, 08:20 AM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend
Make sure your battery connections are tight. It's common on these cars corrosion eats the battery clamps and they will lose their thickness and becomes lose. If battery connection checks out fine. Get the battery load tested see if battery still good. Check charging system within specs. And lastly, would be starter.
That's exactly what happened to me last year, with the same symptoms as the OP. in my case I had to replace the Negative battery cable clamp. Lexus had it in stock. Under $20 and 5 minutes of Labour.
Old 02-06-12, 07:27 AM
Lexrules1
Driver School Candidate

Default Battery problem

Originally Posted by MrBooby
Your battery is dead, and I suspect that you have a parasitic draw on the system. What that means is that even when the car is off, there is something that keeps draining the battery. You will definitely need to replace the battery, but also have the car looked at so that you won't have to keep buying new batteries.
I agree, you must have a parasitic draw on the system. I have the same problem with my car.
Old 02-07-12, 05:06 PM
worldforgo
Driver

I recently had a parasitic draw on my car. Opened the hood with the car off and heard the ABS Hydraulic Pump stuck on. Unplugging that fixed the problem.

Check for stuff like that, and get the battery replaced.

Quick Reply: What's wrong with my car?