ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

02 ES300: cleaned the MAF- now poor idle, stalling

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-11, 06:42 PM
yeldogt
Lead Lap

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Yes ... lesson learned.

You should leave the MAF alone -- people speak of cleaning them .... but not one mechanic I have ever talked to had a cleaning fix a MAF.

They sell the cleaner .... but I don't think it does anything .. except make them look pretty.

One mechanic told me they can always tell when a car come in needing a MAF because the owner just cleaned it .................. thinking it would fix it ....... this normally comes happens just after the new gas cap for the CEL
Old 12-12-11, 08:49 PM
rlx101
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

hold on, if ECU is reset - am i supposed to drive it for a little for the ECU to "re-learn" the settings with the clean sensor/ new filter?? I can sort of see how ECU could get all confused with the new air filter and cleaner sensor..
Old 12-13-11, 04:35 AM
rlx101
Advanced

here is what i found about resetting ECU, so the re-learning process can happen over time and not right away?

Originally Posted by Megafast13
No it's common. You disconnected your battery so it resets the computer's memory that once knew how to idle, when to shift, etc. Give it a day of driving and it will be back to normal. It is not uncommon for the car to shut off. This happens to Camry's too.
Old 12-15-11, 02:13 PM
rlx101
Advanced

ok, i gave up after spending a few hours looking for whats causing this (even did the DIY cigar smoke test lol looking for a vacuum leak, did not find anything. haha ) and took it to the mechanic. He cleaned the fuel injectors and the idle is back up to normal !?!? this is very strange, i'll see how it behaves over next few days, kicking myself for not trying adding the fuel injector cleaner into the tank just to cross that one out. Now need to return those sensors.. live and learn.
Old 12-15-11, 03:07 PM
EEngineer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

hey all in all as long as you get your car up and running perfectly, it's all good. the lessons learned in the process doesn't hurt either
Old 12-15-11, 03:57 PM
rlx101
Advanced

they also cleaned the throttle body, this is a missing piece of this puzzle i believe. perhaps when i was servicing MAF/air filter i somehow bumped or did something to the throttle body?! Cleaning took care of it and now everything seems to be ok. Rpms are at 650. MAF is clean. CRP is ok to use on a MAF after all.

Whhhew this was a pain in the neck i guess i should have gone upstream from the MAF when troubleshooting this.
Old 10-18-12, 09:48 PM
MrShim78
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rlx101
they also cleaned the throttle body, this is a missing piece of this puzzle i believe. perhaps when i was servicing MAF/air filter i somehow bumped or did something to the throttle body?! Cleaning took care of it and now everything seems to be ok. Rpms are at 650. MAF is clean. CRP is ok to use on a MAF after all.

Whhhew this was a pain in the neck i guess i should have gone upstream from the MAF when troubleshooting this.
just read this saga glad to know things are ok for you now...so you are saying it was -not- the maf sensor after all?
Old 10-22-12, 09:01 AM
Steelfan
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default .....

Originally Posted by yeldogt
Yes ... lesson learned.

You should leave the MAF alone -- people speak of cleaning them .... but not one mechanic I have ever talked to had a cleaning fix a MAF.

They sell the cleaner .... but I don't think it does anything .. except make them look pretty.

One mechanic told me they can always tell when a car come in needing a MAF because the owner just cleaned it .................. thinking it would fix it ....... this normally comes happens just after the new gas cap for the CEL
Not on my Lexus, but on my Corolla, cleaning the MAF fixed my stalling/rough idle problem. It was coated pretty heavily with oil and needed cleaned badly. The Corolla was pushing 180k on the odo at the time. That Corolla burned a qt every 750 to 1000 miles but as long as you "fed" it, it kept on going.
Old 01-13-13, 07:51 AM
MrShim78
Driver

HI there... so after all that, was it worth it? did cleaning the MAF yield any significant benefits in terms of gas mileage,etc? i bought the crc cleaner for my 97 es300 but havent yet gone and tried anything - a bit hesitant to actually since the car runs ok...
not sure what i'd want to do yet so want to weigh the benefits...
Old 01-14-13, 05:14 PM
rlx101
Advanced

not that i noticed. i'd say if its time to replace the sensors - air/fuel and oxygen - do those. I think air/fuel sensor not feeding proper data has more effect on gas mileage than anything else, i.e. if you are running rich mix you are wasting gas unnecessarily. A/F sensors are rated for 150kmiles so if you are on your original sensors..

for gas mileage makes sure easy things are up to spec - air filter, tire pressure etc. there was a thread here somewhere on usual supsects for poor mpg's.

now im off to change the starter, getting cold here, wish me luck! lol

Originally Posted by MrShim78
HI there... so after all that, was it worth it? did cleaning the MAF yield any significant benefits in terms of gas mileage,etc? i bought the crc cleaner for my 97 es300 but havent yet gone and tried anything - a bit hesitant to actually since the car runs ok...
not sure what i'd want to do yet so want to weigh the benefits...
Old 01-15-13, 09:43 AM
MrShim78
Driver

not that i noticed. i'd say if its time to replace the sensors - air/fuel and oxygen - do those. I think air/fuel sensor not feeding proper data has more effect on gas mileage than anything else, i.e. if you are running rich mix you are wasting gas unnecessarily. A/F sensors are rated for 150kmiles so if you are on your original sensors..

for gas mileage makes sure easy things are up to spec - air filter, tire pressure etc. there was a thread here somewhere on usual supsects for poor mpg's.

now im off to change the starter, getting cold here, wish me luck! lol
good luck! so i have shelved my MAF idea then. my car is closing in on 150k miles so then the sensors maybe where the money is spent!
Old 01-15-13, 02:21 PM
rlx101
Advanced

thanks. finished it in 2 hrs yesterday, so far so good. now need to return the core to the store and order a/f sensor from amazon.

Originally Posted by MrShim78
good luck! so i have shelved my MAF idea then. my car is closing in on 150k miles so then the sensors maybe where the money is spent!
Old 07-11-19, 06:27 PM
aydogdu197
Driver School Candidate

This is a very old post so not sure if someone will answer it. I have a 2004 lexus ES330 and I cleaned the maf sensor with CRC maf cleaner. After that my engine light came on. The following day the engine light went off and battery light came on.I took the battery to Autozone and they charged and measured it and told me that I needed a battery. I got a new battery installed it but the battery light is still there. Moreover, I went shopping today and on my way back home, all dashboard lights came on, ABS, airbag, brake, maintenance required lights and car stalled continuously. Luckily I was very close to home and I turned on my flash lights, slowly drove and able to park in front of my apartment.
Obviously I made the **** on a perfectly running car. I wish I had never touched that sensor. I believe this is related to maf sensor. As rlx101 mentioned I realized later that maf sensor cleaner is not suitable for most lexus cars. Something is happening to the brain of the car and it is going crazy.
I ordered a new maf sensor from ebay and it will arrive 3 days later. I wanted to buy from Autozone but there is a huge price difference between ebay and parts shops.
As mentioned some guys recommend to clean the throttle body. Some recommend to clean maf sensor again.
Any suggestions? Do you think battery light might be related to maf sensor? Should I clean again it again or wait for the new maf sensor?

Thanks.
Old 07-11-19, 09:54 PM
turtlepeas
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by aydogdu197
This is a very old post so not sure if someone will answer it. I have a 2004 lexus ES330 and I cleaned the maf sensor with CRC maf cleaner. After that my engine light came on. The following day the engine light went off and battery light came on.I took the battery to Autozone and they charged and measured it and told me that I needed a battery. I got a new battery installed it but the battery light is still there. Moreover, I went shopping today and on my way back home, all dashboard lights came on, ABS, airbag, brake, maintenance required lights and car stalled continuously. Luckily I was very close to home and I turned on my flash lights, slowly drove and able to park in front of my apartment.
Obviously I made the **** on a perfectly running car. I wish I had never touched that sensor. I believe this is related to maf sensor. As rlx101 mentioned I realized later that maf sensor cleaner is not suitable for most lexus cars. Something is happening to the brain of the car and it is going crazy.
I ordered a new maf sensor from ebay and it will arrive 3 days later. I wanted to buy from Autozone but there is a huge price difference between ebay and parts shops.
As mentioned some guys recommend to clean the throttle body. Some recommend to clean maf sensor again.
Any suggestions? Do you think battery light might be related to maf sensor? Should I clean again it again or wait for the new maf sensor?

Thanks.
Similar thing happened to me recently. I have a 98 es300. going from memory reading around I remember that most/some Lexus models don't need or require cleaning of the MAF, especially if it's a 'karmon vortex'? MAF (whatever that is, or if I'm even spelling it right). I poked around the best I could and could neither confirm or deny what type of MAF sensor I have; but it looks like a a small black jet turbine (looks very different from most maf sensors). I had an extra one on hand cheap from the salvage yard so I decided to clean the one in the car with maf sensor cleaner to see what happened and immediately after reinstalling it there were problems. Something was seriously wrong. I swap the one that I'd just cleaned with the spare and I was back to normal.
I still never figured out whether my car's maf sensor is one of the ones that absolutely does not require cleaning but it didn't seem to like it, and for such an expensive part retail I think I'll be leaving it alone from now on.
Old 07-12-19, 11:09 AM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by aydogdu197

Thanks.
This sounds more like the ECM is having a problem. Sometimes the capacitors go bad after a while. Could be a whole bunch of possibilities though.
If you had anything ON your MAF sensor, then cleaning it will fix that. Spray it good, let it sit for 10 secs, then spray air in there and dry it out.

Quick Reply: 02 ES300: cleaned the MAF- now poor idle, stalling