ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Rear Trailing Arm Bushings?

Old 08-15-11, 04:20 PM
Dilbones
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Trailing Arm Bushings?

So, here we have a picture of a rear axel carrier for a 94 Lexus ES300. Whenever I go over bumps in my car I get a clanking rattling sound from this area. When I moved the rear axel carrier back and fourth, it seemed like the bushing in between the number two control arm and the axel carrier was worn out. The hub bearing is fine.

So, I'm asking if

1.) The bushings are my problem and
2.) If this kit will work for my application
Old 08-16-11, 08:29 AM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

I doubt it's your bushings, usually a rattling sound indicates it's your strut mounts. A creaking or squeaking sound usually indicates worn out bushings.

You might also want to check your sway bar bushing and sway links, the best way is to grab the sway bar and try to move it around.

Chasing down noises can be difficult, try not to throw too many parts at it as it can get expensive in a hurry.

Here's an additional post that may help regarding the rear bushings
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...ml#post6436904
Old 08-16-11, 08:49 AM
mdbrown
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I'd be inclined to believe it's the sway bar links. They typically fail before anything else and can make a godawful racket. I agree with Brad, shake down the rear end rather than replace and hope...
Old 08-16-11, 11:23 PM
Dilbones
Rookie

okay wht exactly are the swaybar links, mdbrown? I tightened the strut mount, BradTank. The nut that holds the top mount to the strut was actually loose, so i compressed the spring and tightened the nut and now I have another noise under the car.

It's gotta be the bushings because I grabbed the rear axel carrier and shook it back and forth and got that heavy clanging noise. I replaced the sway bar bushings already. :/
Old 08-17-11, 05:13 AM
mdbrown
Lead Lap

Get the car on a lift if you can, on a couple of jack stands if you can't. Have someone shake the axle and listen underneath. You should be able to isolate the noise that way.
Old 08-17-11, 11:14 AM
BradTank
Racer

The sway links are what connect the sway bar to the rest of the suspension. It's different then the sway bushings. A "clanging noise" should be the sway links as it's in the same general area you're describing. What happening is the links are shot and the sway bar is banging into the rest of the suspension.

Without looking at it, I can't say it's that for sure, but even worn bushing usually don't make "clanging" noises (unless they've been completely removed)

Best way to check is simply grab the sway bar itself, try to jerk it in every direction, and see if you can make it "bang" around. if you can, then you've found your problem.

Also, even though you've tightened the strut mounts, they can still make the same noises. they simply wear out over time and need to be replaced. It's also a common issue on these cars.

Last edited by BradTank; 08-17-11 at 11:19 AM.
Old 08-17-11, 12:47 PM
EEngineer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

+1 on sway bar links

get moog problem solvers
Old 08-17-11, 01:36 PM
mdbrown
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by BradTank

The sway links are what connect the sway bar to the rest of the suspension. It's different then the sway bushings. A "clanging noise" should be the sway links as it's in the same general area you're describing. What happening is the links are shot and the sway bar is banging into the rest of the suspension.

Without looking at it, I can't say it's that for sure, but even worn bushing usually don't make "clanging" noises (unless they've been completely removed)

Best way to check is simply grab the sway bar itself, try to jerk it in every direction, and see if you can make it "bang" around. if you can, then you've found your problem.

Also, even though you've tightened the strut mounts, they can still make the same noises. they simply wear out over time and need to be replaced. It's also a common issue on these cars.
Yes, this is a good photo of a typical sway bar link. Check them out and I think you'll find your noise.
Old 10-09-11, 01:25 PM
mikesan420
Driver School Candidate

I too have the same problem on my 97 es300. The difference is that I have changed everything on my suspension except for the trailing arm bushings and the rear carrier bushings. You too may be having the same exact problem as I am having. Be prepared to drop a couple hundred just to fix this as the rear carrier arm is sold as a complete set only at the dealer. Please let me know if you fixed your issue as I am still having this problem.
Old 10-10-11, 08:31 AM
BradTank
Racer

Originally Posted by mikesan420
I too have the same problem on my 97 es300. The difference is that I have changed everything on my suspension except for the trailing arm bushings and the rear carrier bushings. You too may be having the same exact problem as I am having. Be prepared to drop a couple hundred just to fix this as the rear carrier arm is sold as a complete set only at the dealer. Please let me know if you fixed your issue as I am still having this problem.
You might want to check out this thread
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...se-solved.html

You can buy these bushings aftermarket instead of going through Lexus and having to buy the entire unit
Old 11-07-11, 11:11 AM
Dilbones
Rookie

http://thmotorsports.com/i-444053.as...ingSeanVehSpec

Will these fit my rear lower trailing arm?
Old 11-07-11, 11:31 AM
MikeLex
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Dilbones
http://thmotorsports.com/i-444053.as...ingSeanVehSpec

Will these fit my rear lower trailing arm?
No. Here it is: http://www.ebay.com/itm/577-ES300-Re...8#ht_500wt_922
Old 12-29-11, 09:04 PM
solr
Driver School Candidate

Default Trailing Arm Bushing ES300 2000

You can get a complete Dorman Trailing Arm on Amazon for about $59. If you have Amazon Prime, 2 day shipping is free.

I also found a poly bushing on Ebay, made by Whiteline, that appears to come in two halves, so that they do not need to be pressed into the Axle Carrier, which appears to be a major job.

the link is
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Whiteline-W6...item48434c254e

and the site says they fit a range of ES300's

The Amazon link for the Trailing Arm is
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...00_i00_details

I was contacted by the ebay seller, who confirms that the Whiteline part DOES NOT fit the Axle Carrier or Trailing ARM.
Does anyone have experience pressing out the Axle Carrier bushing on the 2000 ES300 without removing the Axle Carrier?

Last edited by solr; 01-01-12 at 08:45 AM.
Old 12-29-11, 10:52 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

I'm just surprised the bushings are so hard to come by and so damn pricey!

That's the only guy on eBay I found other than the white line kit. Rockauto doesn't even carry just te bushing, at the price shipped on eBay I'd get the new Dorman arms for the same money... From rockauto
Old 12-29-13, 07:56 PM
Soasnavas
Driver School Candidate

Hi folks,

So I have a 99 ES that I absolutely LOVE. I have spent tons of money on suspension parts trying to get car back to that new feel and here is what I have changed so far. 4 KYB struts and strut mounts. Took these apart 3 times by different mechanics as I thought they where not seated correctly and clunking. Front and back sway bar links. Front and back sway bar bushings. Ball joints, outer tye rods. Rear control arms all 6 horizontal and lateral. Have spent TONS of money and still not happy with ride. Today I replaced the trailing arm bushings on the rear knuckle and sure enough 40 dollar bushings where my issue. The car feels like a 2013. Too bad this was the last part I replaced and already through tons of cash into car. Word of adviceif you feel play or clunk in the rear start with the trailing arm bushings on the arm that goes on knuckle. This bushing looked fine on my car however the slightest play causes a horrible ride. Hope this helps save everyone some time and money. I even took the car to the stealership and they couldn't solve my problem!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rear Trailing Arm Bushings?