ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Dealer to repair on rear windows-2005 ES330

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-11, 11:14 AM
es330jax
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Dealer to repair on rear windows-2005 ES330

Need suggestions/advice... I recently found an old thread here for my car's problem and there's a reference to a TSB EL010-06. My car is a certified pre-owned Lexus, warranty is good through end of this year.

Have had this problem since I bought it: the rear windows stick if they're not opened often or if the weather is hot (which is often in FL). Brought my car to the dealership several times to get the windows unstuck (they're literally stuck to the frame). Previously, the mechanic suggested to clean the rubber gaskets well and put silicone spray on them. I did that - they still stuck. At this last visit, the dealer wants to charge $150 to put in a shim, whatever that means. I'd like the windows to be fixed once and for all, especially my car is still under warranty. The TSB doesn't mention any shim as far as I can tell.

Should I press Lexus/dealership to fix the rear windows as described in this TSB??? Thanks - (Copy of the original posted TSB EL010-06 below)

============================================
ELECTRICAL
EL010-06

Title:
REAR POWER WINDOW INOPERATIVE
IN CLOSED POSITION

Models:
'02 - '03 ES 300 & '04 -'06 ES 330

September 13, 2006

Introduction

Some ES 300 and ES 330 vehicles may experience a condition where one or both of the rear power windows are inoperative/stuck in the closed position. Follow the repair procedure in this bulletin to install a cushion kit on both rear power windows.

NOTE :

^ When you receive the customer's vehicle, if the power window motor does NOT operate, inspect the system by starting with the Inspection Procedure in this TSIB.

^ If the power window motor operation is normal when you receive the customer's vehicle but the customer's complaint is the power window motor does NOT operate at times, start with the Repair Procedure in this TSIB.

Applicable Vehicles

^ 2002 - 2003 model year ES 300 vehicles.

2004 - 2006 model year ES 330 vehicles.

Warranty Information

Applicable Warranty*:
This repair is covered under the Lexus Comprehensive Warranty. This warranty is in effect for 48 months or 50,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the vehicle's in-service date.

* Warranty application is limited to correction of a problem based upon a customer's specific complaint.

Inspection Procedure

With the engine running, apply a shock to the door (by opening and closing door) while pressing the power window switch in the down direction and check the power window operation.

1. Turn the ignition ON and start the engine.

2. Open the door, and then close it 4 times while pressing the power window switch in the down direction.

NOTE :

^ If the above check has been conducted 5 times continuously, let the motor cool for about 20 minutes.

^ Do NOT keep pressing the power window switch for more than 5 seconds. If the power window switch is held in the ON condition for more than 5 seconds, the power window motor will stop due to overheat protection system operation.

^ If the overheat protection system is activated, let the motor cool for about 30 minutes.

Does the power window motor operation return to normal

3. Loosen the regulator mounting bolts slightly, and then press the power window switch in the down direction.

Does the power window motor operation return to normal?

Repair Procedure

1. Attach the cushion to the door glass run on the rear door upper frame.

A. Remove the rubber door glass run from the door frame.

B. Use adhesive remover to remove any grease from the areas of the door glass run that the cushion will be attached to.

C. Attach the cushions to the door glass run as shown below.

^ Cut strip "a" in three (3) 5 mm (0.2 in.) lengths and attach to the door glass run in the locations shown below.

^ Using two (2) strips of cushion, attach strip "b" along the entire length of the door glass run in the location shown below, and trim off extra strip material.

2. Install the door glass run onto the door frame.

NOTE :Make sure that the door glass run is securely fitted to the door frame and is NOT deformed.

3. Check the power window operation.

NOTE :The power window motor MUST be initialized when the power window regulator mounting bolts are loosened or the power window regulator or the power window motor is removed.

A. Open and close the power window to check that it operates smoothly.

B. Check that the AUTO UP" function operates normally.

C. Check that the jam protection function operates normally.
=============================================
Old 05-22-11, 05:48 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,703 Likes on 2,288 Posts

The repair does not sound that difficult. Unless there is a TSB that supersedes the one you posted, I would get them to do it.
Old 05-22-11, 06:28 PM
es330jax
Driver School Candidate

Thx Lexus2000. Hope this fixes the problem at last.
Old 05-22-11, 06:38 PM
yeldogt
Lead Lap

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Why are they charging you to fix the windows on a Certified Car? Give them the TSB number! This should be a covered item.
Old 05-22-11, 06:46 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,703 Likes on 2,288 Posts

Yea it sure does sound like a warranty repair to me, considering it was originally covered under the comprehensive warranty. This post shows some more detail about what the the TSB is all about.
Old 11-28-11, 04:56 PM
peterkoo
Driver School Candidate

I have an 2003 ES-300 and the rear driver side door windows was repaired/replaced 3-4 years. Now the same window is acting up again. I purchased extended warranty from Zurich and the extended warranty is still valid. I was told by Lexus that this is only covered under their basic warranty which mine has past the period. Zurich told me that this TSB is an engineering upgrade so it is not covered under their coverage. So I am screwed either way. All I know if that I purchased an Extended warranty and now I have an defective windows and I have to pay out of pocket to repair this **** up!!!! I noticed that the loaner car has the same problem. This 2011 ES-350 when lowering the window, there was a lot of rubber gummed up against the windows. You can hear and see the rubber sticking to the window when the window is trying to pull downward. Are there any Lexus Corporate complain line that I can let them have earful????