ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Trunk Refusing to Open

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-11, 01:13 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts
Exclamation Trunk Refusing to Open

I am having an issue, i cannot get into my trunk, i have things very valuable in the trunk and i cannot get it to open. Both the remote and the button will not open it, it just clicks, but nothing happens. I can't get in by putting the key in the lock because i think its just rusted and dirty inside the lock. No the fuse isn't blown, and the trunk opener switch in the glovebox is in the on position. I need help as soon as possible
Old 05-19-11, 01:43 PM
marcoes300
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ask someone to push the button insside and at the same time , you , pull the truck up
Old 05-19-11, 01:44 PM
marcoes300
Lead Lap

or acces by the little space btwen rear seat :P
Old 05-19-11, 01:56 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

The lock isn't disengaging and i can't use the space between the rear seat because there is something sitting up against it blocking anything and everything . I need to know why my trunk isn't opening
Old 05-19-11, 02:09 PM
marcoes300
Lead Lap

ok then look like wath my 98 prelude did , its hard for me to explain cause i speak french but ill try lol

in the mecanism you have a metal rod insered into the lock/unlock mecanism. this bar can be out of the mecanism for some reason so , yes it make click when pressing button but the rod its not doing its job cause iits out of the mecanism ... you will need to : try with the key ( not the valey key , the owner key) buy some WD40 ... or you ill need to go in a garage cause nobody can help you more ... my prelude did that but my key was ok , i did put the rod back in place never had the same probleme ... can do that with the door too ,,, its the same process
Old 05-20-11, 11:00 AM
nine3es
Lead Lap

put some dry graphite lube in the keyhole and use the owners key like Marcoes said. The valet key will not open the trunk. If the trunk is overfilled, you may need to press down on the trunk lid while someone tries to open it, to get the release to work, then lift open. wd40 is another lube that will work to free up a key lock. from my experience parting out cars, when the trunk is inaccessible with key or button, the only way to get in is to drill a hole next to the lock and manually pull the rod with some needle nose pliers.

your release switch could be out. check voltage at the switch and see if you are even getting power to the switch, then operate the switch and see if youre getting power out of it.
Old 05-20-11, 05:21 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

It started working again all of the sudden, im extremely confused haha
Old 05-20-11, 06:09 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

This thing is on and off, it works when it wants
Old 06-04-11, 02:37 PM
decypher
Driver

I see that you're in NY, I'm in NJ and on occasiona I have noticed that on hot days the rubber weather stripping between the deck lid and bumper likes to stick... If u hear the trunk release click-- try lifting the trunk lid manually to free the weather stripping. If you don't hear the trunk release click it-- there could be another underlying issue. Good luck brother.
Old 06-04-11, 04:04 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

I never updated this, but i took the entire trunk apart, my initial intention was to take out the key lock in the trunk and find out why it wasn't working, it was just gunked up from years of ny weather and not using, let it sit in marvel mystery oil for about an hour and went at it with a fat head screw driver cleaning everything off it. I remoeved all the latches and locks as well. When i put it back together, not only did the key lock work, but the button and remote as well, i assume it was an adjustment issue, but i have no idea
Old 06-05-11, 05:54 AM
sheekdude
Driver School Candidate

Wow... I'm having the same problem with my 1999 ES300. The lock opens with the key and the remote, but not with the button on the dash panel? I've tried it with the master lock (the button in the glove box) on and off with no success. Help!
Old 06-05-11, 09:53 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Hmm if the remote of the key works, it may be the actual button itself, for me neither the remote nor the button worked
Old 06-05-11, 10:24 PM
QuachmanES
Lead Lap

I actually had the opposite problem a few months back... haha. I popped my trunk to get something out and when I went to close it... BANG. It just bounced off the lock and didn't close. I tried a few more times closing it slowly or a bit harder, but nothing worked. Somehow, a few minutes later, it clicked and locked and it has been working fine ever since.
Old 06-07-11, 07:31 AM
sheekdude
Driver School Candidate

So I guess its probably the button then, I'll replace it and let you know how it goes.
Old 06-07-11, 05:31 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by QuachmanES
I actually had the opposite problem a few months back... haha. I popped my trunk to get something out and when I went to close it... BANG. It just bounced off the lock and didn't close. I tried a few more times closing it slowly or a bit harder, but nothing worked. Somehow, a few minutes later, it clicked and locked and it has been working fine ever since.
I had the same problem to haha

Quick Reply: Trunk Refusing to Open