ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Flush Or Not??

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-11, 10:29 AM
ikant
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flush Or Not??

I've had this discussion with several friends about whether or not to flush the tranny. My [main] mechanic says NOT to flush it for two reasons;

1. The AGE of the vehicle...['96 es300--295K+]

2. [because of reason #1] It will destroy the seals and lead to "rebuilding/replacing" the transmission.

Other mechanic suggests to flush it, since I have no idea when it was last flushed, despite it's age. So now I've decided to bring the question here as a "decision breaker". Flush transmission or not??

Last edited by ikant; 03-25-11 at 10:30 AM. Reason: typo
Old 03-25-11, 10:41 AM
funcrusher
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts

How do u know whether to change it or not? Mines been changed once by the previous owner. Good thread
Old 03-25-11, 11:24 AM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

If you never flushed your transmission before, than the process of flushing it now will release varnish and other contaminated which could destroy your transmission in short order. 100% new transmission oil will also tend to make the problem worse by it's cleaning action

You are much safer with a drain and refill where only about 40% of the oil gets changed. You can than repeat the process next year of you wish.

Don't look for trouble Don't flush.
Old 03-25-11, 11:24 AM
BDSL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Use the SEARCH function.
Old 03-25-11, 12:10 PM
yeldogt
Lead Lap

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Is this a car you just bought?

Is it the original transmission?

Condition of the fluid?

Personally -- if its the original transmission -- I would leave it alone and only add if fluid is low.
Old 03-25-11, 12:33 PM
funcrusher
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts

Why doesn't anyone ever have a simple YES or NO answer? I'm kind of scared to even mess with the fluid after hearing people say it can bring problems
Old 03-25-11, 01:40 PM
ikant
Rookie

Originally Posted by yeldogt
Is this a car you just bought?

Is it the original transmission?

Condition of the fluid?

Personally -- if its the original transmission -- I would leave it alone and only add if fluid is low.
Just purchased last month [Feb. 5th] from a dealer ["As-Is deal"]--I needed a vehicle immediately. According to mechanics the transmission looks the same (with new belt, air filter, and such)--I have no clue; this vehicle is my first. So, I have no idea about many things, just weighing suggestions from everyone. But everything points at, "Leave It Alone". Will have to check fluids to be sure before paying anyone [mechanics] anymore money.

Need to find a User's Manual. Thanks for the replies thus far guys--REALLY appreciate it.
Old 03-25-11, 01:43 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

drain & fill will never screw anything up <- mechanic #1 is wise.

Dude, i was considering this with 100k on my car, and chose not to since it can be more prone to leading to problems down the road.

Also, a drain & fill will cost you no more than an oil change, best part is you can do it a couple of times to get completely new fluid in there for less than what some of these 'flushes' cost.
Old 03-25-11, 01:48 PM
Coulter
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

My vote is no to a flush, just drain and refill.

I've heard both arguments for and against flushing, usually that flushing is safe as long as the transmission hasn't been neglected. I've also heard some mechanics say if the fluid is really bad and has never been changed, just leave it alone altogether.

At the end of the day, I think everyone would agree that a simple drain and refill is less risky than flushing. I personally don't think it's worth possibly destroying my transmission just to get it that little bit "cleaner" with a flush than a drain/refill.
Old 03-25-11, 03:54 PM
MikeLex
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

300K? No flush. Sit back, relax and wait until it dies of natural causes...
Old 03-25-11, 04:57 PM
nine3es
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Coulter
My vote is no to a flush, just drain and refill.

I've heard both arguments for and against flushing, usually that flushing is safe as long as the transmission hasn't been neglected. I've also heard some mechanics say if the fluid is really bad and has never been changed, just leave it alone altogether.

At the end of the day, I think everyone would agree that a simple drain and refill is less risky than flushing. I personally don't think it's worth possibly destroying my transmission just to get it that little bit "cleaner" with a flush than a drain/refill.
im with Coulter ^

oh, and change the trans filter.
Old 03-26-11, 09:51 AM
ikant
Rookie

Thank you again guys--NO FLUSH is the way we'll handle this then--drain and fill. Feel much more confident now.
Old 03-26-11, 11:45 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Cool

Another vote for a 'drain & fill' only.
Old 03-26-11, 01:44 PM
yeskay
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

lexus dealership recommends "drain and fill" only
Old 03-27-11, 10:15 AM
ikant
Rookie

Originally Posted by yeskay
lexus dealership recommends "drain and fill" only
Really?? That's really something which the "FLUSH-IT" people should be aware of. Wonder if any of the "Car-Care" places would follow that rule instead of RECOMMENDING it be done [$125].

Quick Reply: Flush Or Not??