ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Did they ever fix the 2002 ES300 Transmission issues?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-11, 09:49 PM
vmirjamali
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did they ever fix the 2002 ES300 Transmission issues?

Just wondering if they ever fixed the 2002 ES300 transmission issues I hear so much about? Also is there any other issues that have come up with the majority of the 2002 ES300 models?

Also were any of these recalled for the unintended acceleration issues?

Edit: Holy S***: http://www.arfc.org/complaints/2002/.../10313640.aspx

Guess they didn't, any of you experience the same issues?

Last edited by vmirjamali; 03-13-11 at 10:12 PM.
Old 03-14-11, 09:42 AM
ayonnebay
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

A clue to the cause of that complaint can be found near the beginning, where it states: "My wife ....."

: )

(Many times this is also explained as a PEBSWAS trouble - Problem Exists Between Steering Wheel And Seat).
Old 03-14-11, 11:38 AM
vmirjamali
Driver

Did you ever take a look at the other complaints?

http://www.arfc.org/complaints/2002/...00/?q=&page=10

There is like 40 complaints and 20 of them are before 07 when the court issues started to slowly come together. Can we just ignore all of them?
Old 03-14-11, 05:53 PM
ayonnebay
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by vmirjamali
Did you ever take a look at the other complaints?

I thought you were only pointing to that one, first complaint.

But, FWIW, I owned a 2002 ES for 5 years and had only one major complaint - the hesitation when accelerating from a slow roll (leaving a gas station, merging into traffic from an approach ramp, etc.)

Lexus never fixed that for me. They reset cpu; explained that the car was learning my driving habits; etc. They did everything except fix it. It is the sole reason I finally got rid of the car. It was downright embarrassing when driving with others, and explaining that Lexus says it's "normal".

I've never experienced sudden or unexplained acceleration at any time during my 4 years with the car. The hesitation problem, however, was a serious safety issue as far as I was concerned, and after giving the car 5 full years to "learn" my driving habits, well that was more than enough time.

Lexus dropped the ball on that issue, by never admitting that they had a problem with their "drive-by-wire" system.

I was happy to get out of that car ........ I don't miss it at all.
Old 03-15-11, 01:48 PM
snowmaker
Driver

hell, I think the tranny on my 06 sucks...I will take my still show-room cond 98 over my 06 anyday....
Old 03-15-11, 03:32 PM
ayonnebay
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by snowmaker
hell, I think the tranny on my 06 sucks...I will take my still show-room cond 98 over my 06 anyday....

Yup, I have a '98 also - bought it new in Oct '97.

I absolutely love that car ! It's actually fun to drive. (and it never had to "learn" my driving habits ...... )

Walt
Old 03-16-11, 04:23 PM
funcrusher
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts

So will the dealership do the system update for this issue for free?
Old 03-16-11, 08:05 PM
MikeLex
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think Lexus engineers should learn our driving habits... The hesitation issue seems scary.
Old 03-16-11, 08:32 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,696 Likes on 2,282 Posts

In Soviet Russia, car learns you.

Honestly, the whole "wait until the car learns how you drive" is one of the most pathetic things I've ever heard. The car should simply respond to how you drive, instantly. Not have to learn and improve how it responds over time. You're driving a car, not riding a horse.
Old 03-16-11, 08:40 PM
KLF
Lead Lap

FWIW...

I'm disappointed in the tranny in my '05, there is no excuse for this behavior on a car like this. I'm not sorry I bought the car, I still really like it. But I do miss my '98, it was more fun to drive. If you went into Lexus to complain, I doubt you'd get anywhere, good luck with that. They may admit to the poor behavior, but the car is too old now to get anything done for free. I really think the issue could only be fixed with a totally new, different transmission. That's not gonna happen.

OTOH, I spent the last 4 days driving my Mom's '07, total night and day difference. Absolutely none of that crappy flare in the 1-2 and 2-3 shift, very solid. I did try really hard at one point to get it to do the weird lunge thing from a slow roll, and I could barely feel it happening.

Bottom line: if you know of someone considering an ES, tell them to stick with a pre-02, or save up more money and get an '07+. Avoid this generation.
Old 03-17-11, 06:45 AM
MikeLex
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you know of someone considering an ES, tell them to stick with a pre-02, or save up more money and get an '07+
Wise advice. In my case the leap would be big, but that's the only way to go, I guess.
Old 03-17-11, 01:57 PM
Jontay
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yup, I agree. The 05' tranny sucks. I am probably going to get rid of the car due to this problem. Otherwise, probably a nice car.

"the car has to 'learn' how you drive" ??? Gotta be kidding me. And I've tried the disconnecting the battery thing........no difference.
Old 03-18-11, 05:47 PM
TOLex168
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I alsmost T-bone twice during the left turn a few years back. If you have the tranny problem, you would understand what I said.

I am in the process to fix 05 tranny by making ATF a bit thicker so that the digital IC's would read the pressure in side tranny a bit more accurate. To do that, I added a bottle of Lucas tran fix and reset ecu by removing battery for a few minutes.

From my personal knowledge in engineering background, I don't think it is a software issue with the intermittent delay/lag about 0.5s to 1s. For those who don't have this problem, one second would not make a big different. But, it is a live and dead the make a left turn or merge into traffics or cost a few hundred during a stop and go on belt way.

Here what I think: when you step on the gas, the electronics circuits read the pressure in side tranny wrt temp, current state and other avariables. If the ATF a bit thin, then it reads a bit off, which mean a bit delay/lag.

I am NOT a fan of Lucas tran fix/products, but it would NOT damaged your tranny either. Give it a try and post our results.
Old 04-18-11, 07:33 AM
Jontay
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey ToLex168,

I was just curious if your attempt to add the Lucas trans fix helped out with the transmission hesitation problem ?

If I decide to keep the car, I am due for a complete fluid change (tranny, differential, etc.) and would probably attempt your suggestion if you think it is a difference maker. I just put in Castrol Synthetic Edge for the engine oil change and will replace the timing belt, water pump, bushings/pulleys, serpentine belt, etc. in the very near future if I end up keeping it.

Really is too bad about the hesitation issue as it seems like a pretty damn car otherwise.
Old 04-18-11, 03:59 PM
brucelee1
Racer

Received 87 Likes on 74 Posts

My trans is fine. I did an drain and fill last week. Took about 15 minutes, very easy.

Quick Reply: Did they ever fix the 2002 ES300 Transmission issues?