ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

How to replace a bank 1 sensor 1 oxygen sensor on a 1995 ES300 (w/ pics)

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-12, 07:38 PM
gabzor
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

great post! i didn't even know they sold pbblaster in a bottle
Old 09-07-12, 08:09 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by frank1961
Hi I have un connected the eletrical connector for b1s1 sensor, but have trouble to remove the nut, is counter clockwise to remove it? tried with different liq like deep creep, pb blaster, and even try to start the car for 10 min. still doenst work, any idea?

Thanks
You need a breaker bar. It was really hard for me as well, I hit my knuckles on the cross member. Make sure your socket is really tight before you apply any force, or you might risk slipping off or stripping the O2 sensor.
Old 09-07-12, 11:13 PM
lvicks
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What type of tool are you using?
Old 03-09-13, 12:56 PM
Tjfaz
Driver School Candidate

I have a 99 ES300. My car threw six codes including bank one and 2. My car has been running like ****, shaking and idling out of control. Was the symptoms to your car similar?
Old 03-09-13, 06:51 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by Tjfaz
I have a 99 ES300. My car threw six codes including bank one and 2. My car has been running like ****, shaking and idling out of control. Was the symptoms to your car similar?
Try cleaning your Idle Air Control Valve. It can cause all sorts of idling issue when it gets gummed up. I've had to do it twice in the past year and a half, and it worked wonders every time.
Old 03-10-13, 11:14 AM
mitmaks
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Use plenty of PB blaster and breaker bar-it will come loose. Don't forget to put anti-seize compound on it
234-4622 is the part number for that O2 sensor, you can get it on ebay for ~$50
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DENSO-Oxygen...15c2f1&vxp=mtr
Old 04-18-13, 07:45 PM
RITlexus96
Driver School Candidate

i used torch to heat up the oxygen sensor then easily removed it...is torch okay, especialy the sensor was bad so...
one qq, where is the idle air control valve located? i got a 96....
Old 03-18-22, 08:06 AM
13LEXUSGS
Driver School Candidate

Question 2013 Lexus GS 350 AWD O2 Sensor help

Hello there
I'm getting ready to change my O2 sensor, however the code is coming up "bank one, sensor 2" after research I have determined that the sensor is after the catalytic converter, however I'm just having some difficulty determining bank one and bank 2, does anyone have any comments concerning as far as which is cylinder 1 and which is cylinder 2? My preliminary work seems to think that cylinder one is on the passenger side which would mean that the O2 sensor is on the passenger side any help would be greatly appreciated
Cheers!

Last edited by 13LEXUSGS; 03-18-22 at 08:07 AM. Reason: to put the year of my car in the post
Old 04-15-22, 07:36 AM
Jrb2u
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AndyG
About a week or so ago my check engine light come on in the 1995 Lexus ES300 and when it was scanned, the bank 1 sensor 1 O2 sensor came back as bad. I decided to look up the part on Amazon and came up with this for a low $70:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000C5SGA4

The Bank 1 Sensor 1 O2 Sensor on this model Lexus is the one behind the engine, nearly against the firewall. It's not the front-most one and it's not the one past the catalytic converter under the vehicle on the exhaust. It's the toughest one to get to compared to those.

Knowing this, I thought about taking the car to someone and having them put it on but decided to do the work myself and learn something while saving a buckazoid or two.

The sensor came in today from Amazon and I went to my local parts shop and they happened to have O2 sensor sockets on sale for about $8 - not a bad start! I also bought a can of Blaster to help loosen the old sensor:

http://www.amazon.com/Blaster-16-PB-.../dp/B000I2079E

Here's the type of tool I bought to remove the sensor which worked great as it's flat and fits very, very easily into tight spaces:

http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CDsQ8gIwBA#

With these items in hand and the Lexus in the garage nice and cooled off, I got to work. Here's some pics.

Here's the tools and new sensor

The new O2 sensor came with some Locktite type compound (I hope that's what it was!)

Closeup of the tool used to remove the old sensor and tighten the new one

Ok.. Where is that B1S1 sensor? Let's start on the drivers side of the engine. Notice I placed my light there so it shines down on it while allowing me access on this side of the engine bay.

Creeping back behind the engine a bit now..

Look right behind the engine and in front of the firewall and thar she be. I've sprayed the Blaster stuff on it so it's shiny.

Up close and zoomed in.

Old one out, compared to the new one. I must say.. This was actually quite easy to remove. I simply slid the tool/socket over the old O2 sensor, attached a ratchet to it and with one tug, it broke loose. I then pulled the tool/ratchet out, unplugged the harness cable (just press the ribbed clip and pull apart), and then hand-loosened the old sensor the rest of the way until it was out. When I got it out I did a small "YEAAHHHH!!" celebration while shaking it and staring at it with crazy eyes and then went back to work.

Dirty as heck. I bet this is the original sensor from 1995.

I put the locktite paste on the new sensor threads, carefully, slowly lowered the new sensor through the cavity there behind the engine and into the hole it belonged and then hand tightened it into place. Reattached the cable harness and then used the tool/ratchet to make sure it was all tight and was done.

Overall, despite it being in a fairly rough place to get to, it was a very easy replacement. Couldn't have gone smoother and I think it took me 20 minutes tops to handle it all. It took me longer to make this post.

That went so easily, I'm wanting to change out the front O2 sensor just for the fun of it. Thanks for reading and I hope this helps someone in some way.
I know it's been a long time but I wish the pics that were posted were still available...