ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

LS400 front calipers on ES300?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-11, 04:03 PM
toyotero
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS400 front calipers on ES300?

Does anyone know if the LS calipers will fit the ES? If so what modifications have to be done to accomplish this? Thanks
Old 02-01-11, 04:46 PM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

The LS is a much heavier car than the ES. Trying to fit the callipers from an LS to an ES is not safe. Bad idea
Old 02-01-11, 04:53 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

not really...its a OEM big brake upgrade. it would help a lot with braking.
Old 02-01-11, 04:56 PM
toyotero
Rookie

Originally Posted by PFB
The LS is a much heavier car than the ES. Trying to fit the callipers from an LS to an ES is not safe. Bad idea

I ask because I own a GS and have a set of LS calipers for sale. I have a potential buyer who owns a ES and he wants to know.
Old 02-01-11, 04:56 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by PFB
What are you talking about man?
How does the weight of the LS have ANYTHING to do with the question posted here?

Big brake kits are nothing new....you could fit a 8 piston caliper on a Mini cooper if you had the money and resources..... which would be a caliper twice the size of an LS400 caliper on a car that probably weight a third of the LS.....

Has nothing to do with weight.

But this is a nice question, I wouldn't mind running the LS bbk on my 01 ES3 if it was possible, you would for sure need to fabricate custom brackets and install wheels that clear the calipers.
Old 02-01-11, 05:10 PM
KLF
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are the LS calipers floating style?

Take them to a parts store, have them pull a set off the shelf for an ES, hold them side-by-side.
Old 02-01-11, 07:47 PM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
What are you talking about man?
How does the weight of the LS have ANYTHING to do with the question posted here?

Big brake kits are nothing new....you could fit a 8 piston caliper on a Mini cooper if you had the money and resources..... which would be a caliper twice the size of an LS400 caliper on a car that probably weight a third of the LS.....

Has nothing to do with weight.

But this is a nice question, I wouldn't mind running the LS bbk on my 01 ES3 if it was possible, you would for sure need to fabricate custom brackets and install wheels that clear the calipers.
The ES brake callipers, were designed by Lexus for the specific weight and optimal breaking characteristics of an ES, while the LS were specifically designed for the Optimal characteristics of an LS. the characteristics of these two cars ARE NOT the same.

Another example is the ABS system. The ABS system is calibrated differently for each of these individual cars. The calibration assumes that the car has its originally specified (or an equivalent aftermarket) braking system. The same comment applies to the calibration of the rear/front break proportioning valve,

There are several other examples that I can point out, but suffice it to say that trying to adapt callipers from a different car, could adversely effect a cars braking characteristics, especially during an emergency breaking situation.

Last edited by PFB; 02-01-11 at 07:54 PM.
Old 02-01-11, 08:20 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,703 Likes on 2,288 Posts

Originally Posted by PFB
Another example is the ABS system. The ABS system is calibrated differently for each of these individual cars.
Are you sure about that? All the ABS is there to do is prevent wheel lock, it does that by modulating pressure to the calipers. The only way changing to a different caliper would cause problems with the system is if the caliper required more pressure to activate properly than the system could provide, which I don't see happening. It's not like you are putting a radically larger caliper onto the car. I bet the ABS software between the models is essentially the same.

I know of people that have put LS400 parts on a Camry and the system worked great, it's not a problem at all.
Old 02-01-11, 08:45 PM
radiokilla
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just make sure the offset of your wheels clear the bigger calipers. ES's have a fairly high offset so I don't think you will have a big problem with that.
Old 02-01-11, 08:51 PM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
Are you sure about that? All the ABS is there to do is prevent wheel lock, it does that by modulating pressure to the calipers. The only way changing to a different caliper would cause problems with the system is if the caliper required more pressure to activate properly than the system could provide, which I don't see happening. It's not like you are putting a radically larger caliper onto the car. I bet the ABS software between the models is essentially the same.

I know of people that have put LS400 parts on a Camry and the system worked great, it's not a problem at all.
Lexus2000, you brought up a valid point re the ABS system. I will re-think my original reply.

Thanks,

Phil
Old 02-01-11, 09:55 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

I'm just wondering if upgrading the calipers would actually stop the car in a significantly shorter distance. The brakes can already bring the tires easily to the limits of adhesion and the ABS activates aggressively (I know I did a panic stop on dry pavement a few months back). If you put uber brakes on your car, you're going to need tires with better grip or the extra grabbing power will do nothing for you.

So unless you drive hard and fast all the time, I don't see the point. But it's an interesting project just the same.
Old 02-01-11, 10:01 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by PFB
Lexus2000, you brought up a valid point re the ABS system. I will re-think my original reply.

Thanks,

Phil
You did bring up a good point though, it's about balance. A gigantic caliper with a tiny rotor is useless for example. I don't feel the ES300 has an under-sized braking system. Also you're post got me thinking, what if the larger caliper puts a strain on the master cylinder long term? I don't know if it will, but it might. Something to think about.

I look at it this way, Lexus tested the components and they work as intended. You start mixing and matching parts and your daily drive has become your own little proving ground. Will you have problems? Probably not, but long term you might end up with unexpected consequences.
Old 02-01-11, 10:04 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by radiokilla
Just make sure the offset of your wheels clear the bigger calipers. ES's have a fairly high offset so I don't think you will have a big problem with that.
It's actually the spoke design that dictates whether or not the calipers will clear the wheels. You can have zero offset wheels and still not be able to clear the calipers
Old 02-01-11, 11:00 PM
nine3es
Lead Lap

i just yanked a set of 96 LS400 calipers today, and i have a 93 ES300. What i know for a fact is, the LS400 calipers were only a cooter hair from hitting the inside of the factory 16"s on the LS. Unless the ES rotor is drastically smaller, you would definitely need larger diameter wheel to clear. if these dont sell by the weekend, i may pull a tire and check it out.
Old 02-02-11, 06:38 AM
ASG14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can't mount either the LS or Supra calipers tot he ES/Camry, as the offset of the caliper bracket bolts do not allow for an adapter brackett o be made. There IS a cheap (but good) BBK to run the stock caliper (best to use the 94-96 Twin Piston) with a supra TT Rotor. Let me tell you, I have a car guy with an SL550 a ride, and slammed the brakes at 80, and I'm pretty sure I could outbrake his car by the reaction he gave, lol.

I'll post pictures later. I'm at work and photobucket is blocked.

Quick Reply: LS400 front calipers on ES300?