ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Newbie looking for an 05-06 ES....Potential problems?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-11, 07:44 AM
KLF
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I do agree that Lexus really dropped the ball on this transmission. I still really like my car, but the way the trans shifts is inexcusable for a car of this caliber. Our Highlander has the same engine, not sure if the trans is the same configuration with the AWD, but the shift hesitation is worse. Fortunately I don't drive it often.

You can bet that when it comes time to upgrade the Highlander to an RX that I will be insisting on taking the car for an extended full day test drive. I didn't notice the issue on the short test drive, plus I was shopping on a snowy day at night. I'll never do that again.

Martin: I'm curious about the new Pioneer head unit you have. My car is very similar to yours, just a nice green color. The map DVD in mine has never been upgraded (2004), plus I can't interface my iPod/DroidX to listen to tunes, plus Bluetooth, and I'd really like satellite radio. Seems like by the time I got the new map DVD ($200), added a DICE ($300), and a Sat radio unit (???), I would be better off just getting a whole new head unit that has these features built in, plus a new GPS engine that will probably work and look better. How do you like yours? Do you know if it plugged directly into the ML amps?
Old 02-23-11, 08:26 AM
gulleyman
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey guys, ran across this post digging for potential flaws in an '02 ES300 that I am considering purchasing. I have owned a nav system in a previous vehicle that you may find appealing. I paid $650 for mine when they first came out, looks like they went up to almost $2200 and now they aren't selling them. I loved mine, maybe there are some used ones floating around out there? check out this link:

http://store.mp3car.com/MP3Car_G4_po..._p/sdk-014.htm
Old 02-23-11, 02:24 PM
Jontay
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

On another separate thread that I posted about "gas pedal hesitation", someone had replied to me that I should disconnect the battery for at least 10 minutes and let everything "reset" and that possibly the tranny problem will go away (?). Anyway, I did that this morning and will drive it for a few days and see what happens.

On a separate issue, while driving yesterday, The VSC, TRAC OFF and engine CHECK idiot lights came on (speedometer cluster). They have turned off since disconnect/re-connecting the battery. HHHHmmmmmmmmm.........
Old 02-23-11, 02:36 PM
snowmaker
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know the tranny on my 06v works 10X better using Amsoil ATF. It is not a plug on Amsoil but rather the t4 fluid at 50K miles was grey...That god I drained it...Did not smell great either.

The battery deal works on most cars since they need to "re-learn" things.
Old 02-24-11, 04:33 PM
smm3
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by KLF
I do agree that Lexus really dropped the ball on this transmission. I still really like my car, but the way the trans shifts is inexcusable for a car of this caliber. Our Highlander has the same engine, not sure if the trans is the same configuration with the AWD, but the shift hesitation is worse. Fortunately I don't drive it often.

You can bet that when it comes time to upgrade the Highlander to an RX that I will be insisting on taking the car for an extended full day test drive. I didn't notice the issue on the short test drive, plus I was shopping on a snowy day at night. I'll never do that again.

Martin: I'm curious about the new Pioneer head unit you have. My car is very similar to yours, just a nice green color. The map DVD in mine has never been upgraded (2004), plus I can't interface my iPod/DroidX to listen to tunes, plus Bluetooth, and I'd really like satellite radio. Seems like by the time I got the new map DVD ($200), added a DICE ($300), and a Sat radio unit (???), I would be better off just getting a whole new head unit that has these features built in, plus a new GPS engine that will probably work and look better. How do you like yours? Do you know if it plugged directly into the ML amps?
The short test drive didn't reveal the hesitation either. My 11 year old Land Cruiser with 166K miles shifts smoother than the ES with 77K miles. Otherwise, it is a great car though. My independent shop said they noticed the shifting a couple of times. They did the battery trick and said that may help. Other than that, nothing really can be done about it....

As far as the navi goes, I really like it. I have the Pioneer Premier unit in my LC that has a lot more features and power. I am used to how that one functions and this one is almost identical. Its tough to beat an all in one unit. Another good feature is that the map upgrades are less than 100 dollars. I don't know if it plugged directly into the ML amps. I would venture to say yes though.

Now the new head units can access Pandora through your phone. I would go that route. It came out right after I installed the Premier unit in the LC. I bought my Premier unit from a fellow Mud member for 500. Spent another 100 to get it installed.

When looking for an ES, I wanted one with the factory Navi so it would be easier to convert to an aftermarket unit. Got lucky and found this one with the aftermarket one installed. Lucky me...except for the **** tranny!!
Old 02-24-11, 04:36 PM
smm3
Driver

Originally Posted by snowmaker
I know the tranny on my 06v works 10X better using Amsoil ATF. It is not a plug on Amsoil but rather the t4 fluid at 50K miles was grey...That god I drained it...Did not smell great either.

The battery deal works on most cars since they need to "re-learn" things.
Thanks for the heads up on the Amsoil. I may go that route when I do the 90K service. Do you think it is Amsoil specifically or any synthetic?
Old 02-24-11, 04:37 PM
smm3
Driver

Originally Posted by Jontay
On another separate thread that I posted about "gas pedal hesitation", someone had replied to me that I should disconnect the battery for at least 10 minutes and let everything "reset" and that possibly the tranny problem will go away (?). Anyway, I did that this morning and will drive it for a few days and see what happens.

On a separate issue, while driving yesterday, The VSC, TRAC OFF and engine CHECK idiot lights came on (speedometer cluster). They have turned off since disconnect/re-connecting the battery. HHHHmmmmmmmmm.........
I spoke with my independent shop that performed the same service. he told me that once you reset everything, you need to drive it for 10 miles. Gives the computer systems time to "re-learn" FYI
Old 02-24-11, 04:46 PM
smm3
Driver

Originally Posted by KLF
I just bought my '05 in October, did a bunch of research. The only issue that I am aware of is with the shifting of the transmissions. There is another thread in here with a lot of posts. I do have to say that I do notice the issues that others talk about, but I'm aware of it and I drive accordingly. I still don't like the flare in the 1-2 shift.

I bought my car on eBay, it was in Houston TX, and had it shipped. I couldn't find one around here with the equipment I wanted, with low enough miles. I also didn't want black (inside or out) so that eliminated a lot of the candidates.

I assume you mean IH8MUD.com. I'm also more of a Cruiser nut, although I don't currently own one, I sold my FJ62 a few years ago. I'm much more into the mini-trucks.
I finally got around to getting my lift installed. I went the OME 1.5 route with Bilsteins. I also removed the fender flares. Here is how she sits now.
Attached Thumbnails Newbie looking for an 05-06 ES....Potential problems?-2011-02-18-header-install-027.jpg  
Old 02-25-11, 02:00 PM
Megafast13
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

TC:

Didn't have time to read any of the replies, but there are really no issues with the ES.

Please message me anytime or get on AIM and we can chat about any questions you have about upgrades, maintenance, etc.

As for the dreaded, overused transmission issues. Simply disconnect your battery and reconnect it, it will relearn YOUR driving style.

megafast13@hotmail.com

AIM: Megafast13
Old 02-25-11, 05:32 PM
snowmaker
Driver

Originally Posted by smm3
Thanks for the heads up on the Amsoil. I may go that route when I do the 90K service. Do you think it is Amsoil specifically or any synthetic?
I would do it now..Mine at 50K miles was crap in my eyes...I have another older ES and with over 200K miles, the fluid is ALWAYS read and smells great.....I have done over 60K miles drains.

The only synthetic ATF are Amsoil, Redline and maybe valvoline...I like Amsoil since, for me, the history is great..I can run the car for over 2 hours and drain the ATF and it is not hot!!!

PS. Toyota T4 is NOT a synthetic..There new WS but NOT the T4.
Old 02-25-11, 05:35 PM
snowmaker
Driver

Originally Posted by Megafast13
TC:

Didn't have time to read any of the replies, but there are really no issues with the ES.

Please message me anytime or get on AIM and we can chat about any questions you have about upgrades, maintenance, etc.

As for the dreaded, overused transmission issues. Simply disconnect your battery and reconnect it, it will relearn YOUR driving style.

megafast13@hotmail.com

If it is a "learning" thing as I noted the other day, that will work..If it is software issue on the ECM, this will do ZERO...I will try it and report back just to see.
Old 03-02-11, 10:11 AM
smm3
Driver

Originally Posted by Megafast13
TC:

megafast13@hotmail.com

Thanks for the reply. Will get with you in the future about upgrades. In the immediate future, thinking about front and rear sway bars.
Old 03-02-11, 10:12 AM
smm3
Driver

Originally Posted by snowmaker
I would do it now..Mine at 50K miles was crap in my eyes...I have another older ES and with over 200K miles, the fluid is ALWAYS read and smells great.....I have done over 60K miles drains.

The only synthetic ATF are Amsoil, Redline and maybe valvoline...I like Amsoil since, for me, the history is great..I can run the car for over 2 hours and drain the ATF and it is not hot!!!

PS. Toyota T4 is NOT a synthetic..There new WS but NOT the T4.
Good to know. Will add this to my list of PM to get done sooner than later.
Old 03-02-11, 10:57 AM
yeldogt
Lead Lap

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Do a search on the Mobil site regarding ATF 3309 -- it will give you some quick information.

I'm not sure what people think -- That the Toyota power-train group designs transmission and then installs substandard fluid.

Not that they did a great job on the electronic on the 05 -- but really ...... do you think if they thought some other fluid was better that they would say to use the IV - or install in OE?
Old 03-02-11, 12:41 PM
snowmaker
Driver

Originally Posted by yeldogt
Do a search on the Mobil site regarding ATF 3309 -- it will give you some quick information.

I'm not sure what people think -- That the Toyota power-train group designs transmission and then installs substandard fluid.

Not that they did a great job on the electronic on the 05 -- but really ...... do you think if they thought some other fluid was better that they would say to use the IV - or install in OE?

I think you only can buy Mobil in case lots. Amsoil is a better deal.YMMV...I think there design and fluid are sub-par since my Amsoil ,example will come out at 50K miles red and smell like the day it was installed. T4 fluid was grey and smelled "off"..

nevermind the endless issues with the crappy response from a stop...Then toyo had the TSB on software..

I love Lexus but they need to go back to there grassroots to gain many people back...Based on readings, they DID on the 08 and above models.

Quick Reply: Newbie looking for an 05-06 ES....Potential problems?