ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

LED light bulb sizes.

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-11, 11:26 PM
SPKV6
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LED light bulb sizes.

Okay, I might be a noob at this but this is my first car and dnt know much about it. Still learning as I drive it. But I jst wanted to know the light bulb sizes to the side door lights, the dome light, and the license plate lights. Anything would help. Thanks,
Old 01-02-11, 11:16 AM
QuachmanES
Lead Lap

The courtesy (side door) lights and the license plate lights are a 194 LED bulb, and the dome light is a 31MM festoon type bulb.
Old 01-02-11, 12:05 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

What year of car would be good to mention...
Old 01-02-11, 06:59 PM
SPKV6
Driver

i have a 96 es. would you guys recommend ebay leds or should i get em on a online website?
Old 01-06-11, 10:38 AM
dcapo
Driver

Originally Posted by SPKV6
i have a 96 es. would you guys recommend ebay leds or should i get em on a online website?
only the single led wedge type are good and will last (installed in side door 1+ years), smd led (hella of lot brighter) panel for dome off ebay from china wears off and starts to blink and lose leds (-2 months), might need to add a resistor tho
Old 01-06-11, 10:54 AM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by SPKV6
They're both online... i'm not going into the debate again since i've already done so, but do whats cheaper IMO.

Originally Posted by dcapo
only the single led wedge type are good and will last (installed in side door 1+ years), smd led (hella of lot brighter) panel for dome off ebay from china wears off and starts to blink and lose leds (-2 months), might need to add a resistor tho
Yes, SMD's are 'best'. Standard LED's aren't as bright, but depending on the bulb may be as effective. Like my license plate light bulbs are the perfect color and brightness.

The panel for the dome, like i used depends on who you get it from and how much you paid.

I bought a couple of the <3$ ones and yes, they got ****ed right up during the summer where the rows of LED's would flicker. I bought some 10$ panels and the 48-led, dome light i use is perfect. I've been using it since the summer and its still good now in the cold winter.
Old 01-06-11, 11:31 AM
dcapo
Driver

Originally Posted by 01LEXPL
They're both online... i'm not going into the debate again since i've already done so, but do whats cheaper IMO.

Yes, SMD's are 'best'. Standard LED's aren't as bright, but depending on the bulb may be as effective. Like my license plate light bulbs are the perfect color and brightness.

The panel for the dome, like i used depends on who you get it from and how much you paid.

I bought a couple of the <3$ ones and yes, they got ****ed right up during the summer where the rows of LED's would flicker. I bought some 10$ panels and the 48-led, dome light i use is perfect. I've been using it since the summer and its still good now in the cold winter.
so where u say u got the 48 led panel at? link?
so what about flux, luxeon? have u had any experience with them?
i know luxeon is used for flashlights but pretty sure u can mod them for 12v acc.

im using a 12" white led strip for my map light, which looks kinda ghetto or ricey how u put it but very effective and bright

i will agree with u on that u get what u paid for, bro

Last edited by dcapo; 01-06-11 at 11:36 AM. Reason: added
Old 07-19-15, 01:20 PM
AlpinWhin
Driver School Candidate

Default map light

I just changed my dome light successfully thanks to this forum and am working on other things. The one thing I cannot find on here is what size LED bulb to use for my Map light (the one that's in with the moon roof controls). I have a 1996 es300, and the bulb is sort of a "push and turn" deal to connect. I've looked in a lot of stores and auto shops and can find bulbs that are similar, but the bases are way to big.

Can anyone help?
Old 07-19-15, 05:48 PM
Chocolate
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by AlpinWhin
I just changed my dome light successfully thanks to this forum and am working on other things. The one thing I cannot find on here is what size LED bulb to use for my Map light (the one that's in with the moon roof controls). I have a 1996 es300, and the bulb is sort of a "push and turn" deal to connect. I've looked in a lot of stores and auto shops and can find bulbs that are similar, but the bases are way to big.

Can anyone help?
http://www.sylvania.com/en-us/applic...s/lrgmain.aspx
Old 07-19-15, 06:30 PM
808mcv20l
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've bought a lot of LEDs in the past, ebay no name china ones and brand name jdm ones.

The early jdm ones were built nicely but were dim as hell, and cost way too much.

Been using china ebay bulbs for a while but it's hard to say what you are going to get. most of the time, the china bulbs will flicker after a while, the 5050smd leds were the most popular and gave out the most output for a while.

I then switched to Cree and 5630 samsung smd bulbs, I found that even with those, without a proper heatsink if you use them in areas of long run times, i.e. license plate, or parking lights they will burn our flicker due to the heat.

My last batch of samsung 5630 leds w/ heatsinks are still going strong and good output in my Honda Fit and 99 Camry before I got the ES300.

This time around I'm going to stick with only brand name leds, I have some sylvania/osram, philips on order, should be here next week.

For the Lexus I'm gonna try avoid cheap ebay china no name leds.
Old 07-19-15, 07:49 PM
funcrusher
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts

I just put some Phillips LEDs a few weeks ago in my dome light front doors and love them haha. Its not crazy, blinding bright like a lot of aftermarket ones but is very clean and OEm looking. I tried to take pictures at night but my phone wont snap good ones.