ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Starter clicks , good battery and starter .. 97 es300

Old 09-14-13, 09:21 PM
Swanny
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter clicks , good battery and starter .. 97 es300

97 es300..... Currently my car does a bunch of clicks when turning the ignition starting . Symptoms Sound like the battery would be bad. Tried jumping it and still clicks, battery is good. Sometimes it will turn a revolution then starts the sequence of clicks, Starter seems to be good. It seems to act up like this when the ignition sits on the on position for awhile, before I've disconnected the battery and it will start right up, that is not currently working. Battery terminals are clean and grounds look good

I Started tearing out the aftermarket alarm system that the previous owner had installed because I would disconnect the battery and reconnect it and the alarm would go off and try remote starting itself leading me to believe it was a short in the electrical system, after disconnecting the car still acts the same and will not turn the starter without the sirus satellite box connected.

also the oil is at low level somehow which makes me wonder if they have a cutoff for low oil levels and if that's what it would do if that's the case.

Things to try
....top off oil
.....try different battery?

Any suggestions?
Old 09-16-13, 06:52 AM
msekanha
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Get the starter tested. I had the same symptoms when mine failed.
Old 09-16-13, 11:09 AM
RadWillie
Driver School Candidate

Check your battery's terminals to make sure they are not corroded or loose. Try moving them and see if that works.
Old 09-16-13, 11:11 AM
milirx450h
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you absolutely sure your battery is good? After having a similar problem with my starter I went thru the motions of taking it out to have it tested because I thought (incorrectly) that my battery was good. After having the starter tested at my local auto parts store, which tested out fine, I changed the battery and the car started right up. My lesson was that its a whole lot easier to pull the battery than the starter. Good luck.
Old 09-16-13, 05:57 PM
mdbrown
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Assuming the battery can pass a load test and the starter bench tests good then you have a loose connection or a bad cable somewhere between the battery and starter. Start with the simplest, check battery cables for looseness. If they are tight and not corroded then have the battery load tested, most auto parts chain stores will do this free. If that passes then next would be to check all the cable/wire connections. If they check out okay then remove the starter and have it bench tested.
Old 09-18-13, 06:00 AM
RadWillie
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Swanny
97 es300..... Currently my car does a bunch of clicks when turning the ignition starting . Symptoms Sound like the battery would be bad. Tried jumping it and still clicks, battery is good. Sometimes it will turn a revolution then starts the sequence of clicks, Starter seems to be good. It seems to act up like this when the ignition sits on the on position for awhile, before I've disconnected the battery and it will start right up, that is not currently working. Battery terminals are clean and grounds look good

I Started tearing out the aftermarket alarm system that the previous owner had installed because I would disconnect the battery and reconnect it and the alarm would go off and try remote starting itself leading me to believe it was a short in the electrical system, after disconnecting the car still acts the same and will not turn the starter without the sirus satellite box connected.

also the oil is at low level somehow which makes me wonder if they have a cutoff for low oil levels and if that's what it would do if that's the case.

Things to try
....top off oil
.....try different battery?

Any suggestions?
Were you able to identify the problem??