ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

did a tune up, car is still shaking & cylinder #2 misfire.

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-11, 06:58 PM
ayroman
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink did a tune up, car is still shaking & cylinder #2 misfire.

I have changed all 6 spark plugs and wires on my e300 1998. The car started running as new, a week later -my car starts to shake again, and an engine light pops up and reads "cylinder 2 misfire." My mechanic recommends to change the ignition coil on cylinder #2.
i am a student and try to save $$ on everything.
Is this the most probable cause? if so, how hard is it if i tried to change the coil by myself? where is cylinder #2?
thx you very much.
Old 02-06-11, 02:02 AM
Parker Gen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your mechanic is going through the cheapest options for you already. Do a ignition coil change after you check your distributor rotor cap, and distributor button. If non of this is the problem, turn your car on, when it starts shaking the engine, push the accelerator down and get someone to look at your exhaust. If any white smoke is coming out, you probably need to do a head-gasket change.
Old 02-06-11, 03:48 AM
MikeLex
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Parker Gen
Your mechanic is going through the cheapest options for you already. Do a ignition coil change after you check your distributor rotor cap, and distributor button. If non of this is the problem, turn your car on, when it starts shaking the engine, push the accelerator down and get someone to look at your exhaust. If any white smoke is coming out, you probably need to do a head-gasket change.
Distributor rotor cap, distributor button? The 98 ES engine is a distributorless system.

Here is the cylinder (coils) numbering:

F I R E W A L L

(Bank 1) 1 3 5

(Bank 2) 2 4 6

R A D I A T O R

Replacing # 2, 4, 6 coils (or plugs) is a very easy DIY work. Go ahead!
Old 02-06-11, 07:24 PM
ayroman
Driver School Candidate

th for your response. I forgot to mention that alot of white gas is coming out of my exhaust when i start up my car, but i did not pay attention to it since i thought it was due to the engine cleaning liquid that i poured into my gas tank. So should i change my head-gasket, do i still have to change coil#2?
Old 02-06-11, 08:23 PM
DRACO A5OG
Lead Lap

It is not the coil.

To test the coil unplug the connector and start the car, you should see sparks. No worries it will not blow up

It is most likely the Fuel Pressure Regulator.

When I did my "tune up" It ran great when I started her immediately and ran great then the same symptoms as you, pulled bunch of mis-fires.

I retardedly listened to the freaken wrench and replaced all the front coils and rear plugs too boot. NADA!!! Boy was that expensive guess.

I replaced the valve cover gaskets and my helper noticed the Fuel Pressure Regulator was leaking. went to Autozone, BINGO, Started right up , idled smooth and all CEL was gone and never came back.

$90, I know it is not cheap, look around see if you can get it cheaper. The autozone one had the vacuum smaller nipple on the wrong side but no problem I picked up a longer vacuum hose, issue solved.
Old 02-06-11, 08:40 PM
DRACO A5OG
Lead Lap

Found this on EvilBay if you can wait http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FUEL-...Q5fAccessories or you can take a chance and buy a used one for $20
Old 02-07-11, 04:51 AM
GEORGE_JET
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ayroman
th for your response. I forgot to mention that alot of white gas is coming out of my exhaust when i start up my car, but i did not pay attention to it since i thought it was due to the engine cleaning liquid that i poured into my gas tank. So should i change my head-gasket, do i still have to change coil#2?
The smoke is your most significant symptom. What does it smell like? Also since you know what cylinder is miss firing, why not swap the coil with the one next to it? See if the miss-fire moves. You also did not mention if your mechanic measured the resistance of the coil. If not that would be be a good idea.

Also if the smoke smells like gas, check your injectors. A simple mechanics stethoscope will tell you if the injector is sticking

Last edited by GEORGE_JET; 02-07-11 at 04:56 AM.
Old 02-07-11, 11:03 PM
DRACO A5OG
Lead Lap

Fuel Starvation or Flood will cause electronic mis-fires on the coils ergo Fuel Pressure Regulator

+1 on check the resistance on the coils with a DVM or move as suggested to rule it out.