ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

1997 - 2001 ES300 Oil Change (Detailed with Plenty of Pics)

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-15, 06:38 AM
KLF
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Decent write-up, everybody has their own methods. Things I do differently:

* Those tow hooks are not intended as jacking points. The jacking points are under the rockers, where you have the jack stands. There is supposed to be a "saddle" at the jack point so you don't eventually fold over the fragile sheet metal seam. I made a saddle out of a piece of hard oak for my floor jack. A better solution is to drive the car up on ramps.

* I don't re-install the drain plug until after the oil filter is removed and replaced.

* I always remove the plastic splash cover that runs across the front of the car. Much easier to clean up and you can check other things out while you're under there.

* After removing the drain plug, I let the car sit and drain overnight. This allows the oil filter to completely empty, so you don't get a huge mess when you spin it off. Yes, I know there's an "anti-drain back valve" in the filter. But honestly it doesn't really work that well, eventually the filter does drain. Try it.

* While you're waiting for the engine to drain, spray some lube on all the door hinges and smear a dab of grease on the door stoppers (the strap thingy that keeps the door from opening too far).

* After the job is done, I always rotate my tires, check the air pressures, and also check the spare for proper inflation. Also check out the cabin air filter, and the engine air filter.

* Don't forget to log all maintenance on the Lexus Drivers website. Your next owner will thank you.
Old 09-10-15, 01:43 PM
IkswrobeZ
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great write up and great photos... i wish i could find one like this for brakes
Old 10-13-15, 04:30 AM
pfodetail
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thank you very much
Old 10-13-15, 06:12 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by KLF
Decent write-up, everybody has their own methods. Things I do differently:

* Those tow hooks are not intended as jacking points. The jacking points are under the rockers, where you have the jack stands. There is supposed to be a "saddle" at the jack point so you don't eventually fold over the fragile sheet metal seam. I made a saddle out of a piece of hard oak for my floor jack. A better solution is to drive the car up on ramps.

* I don't re-install the drain plug until after the oil filter is removed and replaced.

* I always remove the plastic splash cover that runs across the front of the car. Much easier to clean up and you can check other things out while you're under there.

* After removing the drain plug, I let the car sit and drain overnight. This allows the oil filter to completely empty, so you don't get a huge mess when you spin it off. Yes, I know there's an "anti-drain back valve" in the filter. But honestly it doesn't really work that well, eventually the filter does drain. Try it.

* While you're waiting for the engine to drain, spray some lube on all the door hinges and smear a dab of grease on the door stoppers (the strap thingy that keeps the door from opening too far).

* After the job is done, I always rotate my tires, check the air pressures, and also check the spare for proper inflation. Also check out the cabin air filter, and the engine air filter.

* Don't forget to log all maintenance on the Lexus Drivers website. Your next owner will thank you.
That is dedication right there. . I may just try it when I have some extra time.

I usually spray the engine down with a bottle of brake cleaner and/or hose it down with some Simple Green degreaser.
Old 10-13-15, 06:24 PM
JetsonES
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is a great idea! Pull the plug on a Friday night, get up Saturday moning, plug it and fill.

My method for polishing up the engine bay is engine brite foam, some brushes for the heavier deposits followed by tire shine foam everywhere and a 15 minute drive to bake it in. The gloss really makes it pop.