ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

HID Lights

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-10, 12:23 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts
Question HID Lights

Hi, just making sure, i am installing hid's on my 2001 es300, is everything here http://www.hidextra.com/HID+Conversi...rsion+Kit.html
all i need?
Old 07-16-10, 12:28 PM
GoodRevs
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

Ballasts, bulbs, wires...check, check, check. Looks good to me. A proper set of HID assemblies would go along nicely too.
Old 07-16-10, 12:31 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

I will be able to afford proper assemblies after the summer is over, but i need to get new tires first, i also just put 500 into this car last week, so little by little, do i need a relay? Also, 6000k won't look to ricey will it?
Old 07-16-10, 12:32 PM
JTS06Z06
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I dont recommend installing HID's in a halogen housing but if you want to do it no ones gonna stop you. Yes it looks like everything is there however a custom wire harness is always a good thing unless the non-HID ES's have the same wiring as the HID equipped cars then you should be fine.
Also, keep in mind those cheaper plug and play kits are just that -CHEAP. For $75.00 I can assure you those bulbs are going to not ignite everytime, they will likely not match in color output, and will probably only last 1 year give or take. I hate to be all negative here but I have a lot of experience with HID's im only speaking from experience.

However, for $75 bucks buy it and if they work to your satisfaction then great and if not I guess its not that big of a loss. Good choice on the 6,000K though as anything above that is just stupid. Those should give you a fairly close color to OEM HID's.

Hope this helps.

James
Old 07-16-10, 12:35 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Well is from a vendor on the forums, so i am assuming his product is good considering his reviews are good, there is also a 2 year warrantee. No need to worry about the negativity, its good to see all the possible things that could happen and i will buy the assemblies, for now the non-hid housing will have to do.
Old 07-16-10, 12:44 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Should i get this as well? its only 16 bucks http://www.hidextra.com/HID+Relay+Ha...y+Harness.html
Old 07-16-10, 01:17 PM
GoodRevs
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

What year is your ES? My theory (and it's purely a theory) is that the wire rating for the HID vs non-HID was the same for 2000 and 2001. I used a relay harness in mine for a few months and it was fine. I got rid of it when I installed the HID assemblies for a cleaner look and they perform the same with almost no flickering on igniting. However, If i turn them on/off several times one or the other side may not light up. Having said that, I use a relay in my Cadillac and I'd have no argument if you decided to use a relay in your ES.
Old 07-16-10, 01:19 PM
PlatES300
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by CHI2BFLO
Should i get this as well? its only 16 bucks http://www.hidextra.com/HID+Relay+Ha...y+Harness.html
I've had HID's on my car for close to 5 years and never had the need for a harness. I personally went with 5000k as I don't like any kind of blue light and the 5000k gave me pure white. I didn't want to put a plug and play kit into halogen housings but retrofits were just too much and the oem HID housing was just as expensive. Just make sure you aim your lights lower. I have yet to be high-beamed by oncoming traffic for the past 5 years. good luck.
Old 07-16-10, 01:28 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

I won't buy the relay then is what you guys are saying? I have a 2001 es300, same as both of you. Will not having a relay damage any of my electrical stuff though?
Old 07-16-10, 02:53 PM
angmedic91
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a 98 ES300 non HID housing and I put in 8K HID's for the low beam and 6K for the fog lights. I did not use a relay, just what came with the kit, plug and play and have had no problems what so ever. I got my HID's from http://www.ddmtuning.com/products/102/

Also remember, your halogen lowbeam, high beams and fog lights are all 55 watt bulbs. The kits I installed are 35 watts, so consume less power, but the light output because they are HID's are 2-3x brighter. Because of the low wattage, there was no need to use a relay, the OEM wires are rated for a 55 watt bulbs. No chance of frying your wires. They do make 55 watt HID's, but was told they are way to bright and wash out any color, if thats what you want also. Hope this info helps out.
Old 07-16-10, 03:42 PM
SPKV6
Driver

i got my HIDs from that site. im satisfied with it, i recommend them.
Old 07-16-10, 04:34 PM
QuachmanES
Lead Lap

I also have 2 sets of HID's from them. 5000K low beams and 3000K fogs. I'm also using their relay harnesses. I've never had any of the four bulbs not ignite, lights up every time.

I'm also using them in the stock halogen housings and haven't had any problems; haven't been flashed by oncoming traffic yet.
Old 07-16-10, 05:33 PM
JTS06Z06
Pole Position

Originally Posted by angmedic91
I have a 98 ES300 non HID housing and I put in 8K HID's for the low beam and 6K for the fog lights. I did not use a relay, just what came with the kit, plug and play and have had no problems what so ever. I got my HID's from http://www.ddmtuning.com/products/102/

Also remember, your halogen lowbeam, high beams and fog lights are all 55 watt bulbs. The kits I installed are 35 watts, so consume less power, but the light output because they are HID's are 2-3x brighter. Because of the low wattage, there was no need to use a relay, the OEM wires are rated for a 55 watt bulbs. No chance of frying your wires. They do make 55 watt HID's, but was told they are way to bright and wash out any color, if thats what you want also. Hope this info helps out.
That is correct HID ballasts are 35watts but its the initial startup that will fry an electrical system not designed for HID. It takes a pretty good amount of power to get those HID's ignited but once they warm up you are correct they draw less power.
Old 07-16-10, 06:10 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by JTS06Z06
Well I dont recommend installing HID's in a halogen housing but if you want to do it no ones gonna stop you. Yes it looks like everything is there however a custom wire harness is always a good thing unless the non-HID ES's have the same wiring as the HID equipped cars then you should be fine.
Also, keep in mind those cheaper plug and play kits are just that -CHEAP. For $75.00 I can assure you those bulbs are going to not ignite everytime, they will likely not match in color output, and will probably only last 1 year give or take. I hate to be all negative here but I have a lot of experience with HID's im only speaking from experience.

However, for $75 bucks buy it and if they work to your satisfaction then great and if not I guess its not that big of a loss. Good choice on the 6,000K though as anything above that is just stupid. Those should give you a fairly close color to OEM HID's.

Hope this helps.

James
Negative.

My kit is now 3 years old, i have yet to have a 'flickering' upon start up in that time. Also it was on another car beforehand...

Regardless the relay is USELESS in this case, and I agree with the color.

The price is not an argument. The dummy that spends 300$ on the Phillips HID kit is getting similar/close to the 75$ kit. My HID's? They cost me 50$ shipped to my door, and came with a 2yr. warranty. Four of my friends' are running the same kit in multple cars with zero issues. Thus the 'quality' point is moot.

Everything is made in China nowadays, only some products are stamped 'phillips' and others 'made in china'.

DON'T GET A RELAY

Originally Posted by PlatES300
I've had HID's on my car for close to 5 years and never had the need for a harness. I personally went with 5000k as I don't like any kind of blue light and the 5000k gave me pure white. I didn't want to put a plug and play kit into halogen housings but retrofits were just too much and the oem HID housing was just as expensive. Just make sure you aim your lights lower. I have yet to be high-beamed by oncoming traffic for the past 5 years. good luck.
SAme here, only at 3 years though!

I won't buy the relay then is what you guys are saying? I have a 2001 es300, same as both of you. Will not having a relay damage any of my electrical stuff though?
Nope. None at all.

Originally Posted by JTS06Z06
That is correct HID ballasts are 35watts but its the initial startup that will fry an electrical system not designed for HID. It takes a pretty good amount of power to get those HID's ignited but once they warm up you are correct they draw less power.
Ugh, you do realize that the whole premise of the HID kit is that the Ballasts 'do the work', right?

Your battery has no strain nor does the wiring, since the wiring is made to handle the 12V system, and that is all it delivers to the ballasts, and that merely 'amplifies' the discharge to 20,000V upon startup and 85V respectively whilst warmed up and running.
Old 07-16-10, 06:36 PM
eyezack87
Camry ConeKiller

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The relay wouldn't hurt. If it doesn't start up when you flick the switch you'll probably need one but I usually run one regardless since the ones I buy generally have extra fuses built in. Better safe than sorry.

I had to run 2 in my ES (lows/fogs) and one for my Camry. But I'm using DDM Apexcone ballasts so its hella old technology. Then again I prefer analog ballasts vs digital ones anyway

Quick Reply: HID Lights