ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Adding Floorwell Lighting

Old 06-28-10, 12:15 PM
GoodRevs
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Adding Floorwell Lighting

I was curious if anyone has added floorwell lights to their 3rd Gen ES. I'm thinking I could catch the wires that run to the front doors to power and turn on/off the step courtesy lights, and just run some wire from a crimp onto those to power and turn on/off some floorwell lights for underneath the front dash on the driver and passenger side. Maybe even eventually run some more wire to underneath the front seats to give floorwell lighting to the back seats, but right now just focusing on floorwell lighting for the front. Any input or anyone done this yet?
Old 06-28-10, 06:48 PM
eyezack87
Camry ConeKiller

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Easy to do. Just got to figure out which power wire and ground wires to use that connect to your center dome light. I did it to my ex's 2007 Camry and I took the wires from under the door sill things
Old 06-28-10, 09:19 PM
GoodRevs
Instructor

Yeah, I just need to find out which wire to tap into. Anyone know which wire and the closest/most convenient location to catch them at under the passanger and driver dash?

I'm thinking two white 2.4inch (6 led) strips;

http://www.oznium.com/led-flex-strips
Old 06-28-10, 10:08 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

I'd tap into the gear selector wiring.

This way it is only on in two of the three modes on the light switch. [off on 'off'] However, it wouldn't fade on/off with the interior lights at that point.
Old 06-28-10, 11:00 PM
GoodRevs
Instructor

Originally Posted by 01LEXPL
I'd tap into the gear selector wiring.

This way it is only on in two of the three modes on the light switch. [off on 'off'] However, it wouldn't fade on/off with the interior lights at that point.
Yeah I thought about linking it with other controls such as you mentioned and the dome light. But I really only want the floorwell lights to go on when the door (for each respective side) is opened. Also it seems easier, more convenient and a shorter distance to just tap into the wire that runs into the door (gotta be a foot or less total).

Any idea which wire is the one controlling the door courtesy lights? I may get out there and see if I can find it tomorrow.
Old 06-28-10, 11:31 PM
eyezack87
Camry ConeKiller

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.oznium.com/flexible-tri-chip-ribbon-leds
These are much brighter if you want it to light up. I have 2 of them in cool white if you are interested. I put one in my trunk and this is how bright it is when I open it:

Otherwise, in my experience, you need the wiring schematics on the car. Some manuals tell you exactly which wire goes to what. I had to do trial and error on my ex's car at the time so it took a little while...
Old 06-29-10, 07:08 AM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by GoodRevs
Yeah I thought about linking it with other controls such as you mentioned and the dome light. But I really only want the floorwell lights to go on when the door (for each respective side) is opened. Also it seems easier, more convenient and a shorter distance to just tap into the wire that runs into the door (gotta be a foot or less total).

Any idea which wire is the one controlling the door courtesy lights? I may get out there and see if I can find it tomorrow.
If you are asking about the wires for the door panel lights.

The wires are Green & Red.

I had to take apart my door panel when fixing my mirror the other week...
Old 06-29-10, 12:01 PM
GoodRevs
Instructor

Originally Posted by 01LEXPL
If you are asking about the wires for the door panel lights.

The wires are Green & Red.
Yes, the wires that power the door courtesy lights that are located on the underside of the front doors.

So on the drivers side door its which color, red or green and vice versa for passenger? You think I can catch it somewhere under the dash?

eyezack, that's very impressive. I already ordered some LED's to outfit the current bulbs. I'm gonna see how bright the one's I already bought are and decide from there whether I need something brighter.

EDIT: O1EXPL is correct, According to Haynes the wire running to the front door courtesy lights are red and green for both sides. It's not clear whether that means a red wire and green wire, or a wire that is red and green. I'm assuming the later but I'll check asap.

EDIT 2: Two wires, one red and one green with a black stripe. I ought to be able to catch the drivers side right next to the e-brake pedal. I didn't check the passanger side since there's a plastic cover there. I think this'll be very easy. Any idea which is positive and which is ground?

Last edited by GoodRevs; 06-29-10 at 05:53 PM.