ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

2002 ES Tune Up questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-10, 05:48 PM
funcrusher
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
Default ...............

Last edited by funcrusher; 12-05-15 at 01:07 PM.
Old 06-15-10, 07:50 AM
JSM1284
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Most people run Synthetic oil. Oil Pan?? Do you mean Filter?? I use Wix. Spark plugs only use NGK or Denso plugs. You HAVE to use unleaded gas, just like every other car on the road. Oil change every 3k is ok, Lexus actually calls for 5k oil changes, rotations every 5k is ok.
Old 06-15-10, 03:17 PM
JSM1284
Lexus Test Driver

I use Mobil one oil, Wix filters, NGK Spark Plugs, And regular gas. All that will keep you running good.
Old 06-15-10, 06:45 PM
PlatES300
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by funcrusher
I've heard using regular gas can be bad for the car...? Any truth to that?
nope. I've had my car for 245,000 miles and have been using regular oil and regular gas with no problems at all.
Old 06-15-10, 08:24 PM
Megafast13
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by funcrusher

I read somewhere on here about the transmission issue with 02-05 ES'. The previous owner never had this resolved at the dealership but I think its to late for me to have it done free. Were there any other recalls or issues with 02 ES?
There are absolutely NO issues with the actual transmission. The slight issue is, is how the automatic tran's computer is programmed. Sometimes the Chip will tell the engine to shift at odd times, such as deceleration, etc. It is not very noticable, but you can take it to the dealer for a quick update of the software.

Anyways, I change my oil every 3k Miles and use Semi Syn. Blend. I can't afford full syn, but I don't change the oil myself.

Oil filters I have always used FRAM and Denso does make good spark plugs. I suggest replacing the cabin filter as well.

Also may want to check the AC fluids, Engine Belts, etc.

I usually get the Lower grade of gasoline, but I frequently will add Gas Treatments, Octane Boosters, Fuel Treatments, that basically make up for the low grade and they boost performance. When I don't buy those, or gas is cheap, I always go with the highest grade.

It's an amazing car, I hope you love yours.
Old 06-15-10, 09:36 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

^ DON'T ADD gas treatments.

*sigh* They're literally the biggest & dumbest cash grab i've ever seen. lol

Read the manual, it states 'USE 87 OCTANE'.

You don't have a turbo car; so no need for higher grades.
You don't have a high compression motor; no need for higher grades.
You won't GAIN MPG; so no need for higher grades.
You won't increase the life of the car; no need for higher grades.

Run regular oil, regular gas, STAY ON TOP OF SCHEDULED/MILEAGE based MAINTENANCE.

Out of that list, i'd only consider looking over the timing belt, if it has not been done i'd do it asap, and of course get the transmission fluid changed. [DON'T DO A FLUSH] Just a drain & fill, and be on your way.
Old 06-18-10, 11:57 AM
Megafast13
Instructor

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by 01LEXPL
^ DON'T ADD gas treatments.

*sigh* They're literally the biggest & dumbest cash grab i've ever seen. lol

Read the manual, it states 'USE 87 OCTANE'.

Run regular oil, regular gas, STAY ON TOP OF SCHEDULED/MILEAGE based MAINTENANCE.

Out of that list, i'd only consider looking over the timing belt, if it has not been done i'd do it asap, and of course get the transmission fluid changed. [DON'T DO A FLUSH] Just a drain & fill, and be on your way.
So you are saying to use low grade as and standard oil?

Are you crazy. I can physically see my Gas Needle move less with better oil and treatments, better yet anyone can feel the acceleration differences. I completely disagree.
Old 06-18-10, 04:19 PM
PlatES300
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Megafast13

Are you crazy. I can physically see my Gas Needle move less with better oil and treatments, better yet anyone can feel the acceleration differences. I completely disagree.
if the manual says 87 octance then I see no reason to use anything higher. same goes for oil - if it doesn't say specifically to use synthetic, then regular oil should be fine. everything is subjective, whether you can feel the acceleration or not from using regular gas/oil.
Old 06-18-10, 08:08 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Yeah i do. And i think you are crazy for spending more money on a car made to run & work with regular gas/oil. Neither will 'boost' performance or 'rob' you of any. As ling as you change it on time.

i think you should read up on www.bobistheoilguy.com a little more

did i mention regular gas & oil AS PER MY MANUAL, for the last 115k miles? OMG NO WAI! I'm doing it wrong though, right?

Btw, I'm not saying it, Lexus is... you know, the engineers that made your car?

Originally Posted by PlatES300
if the manual says 87 octance then I see no reason to use anything higher. same goes for oil - if it doesn't say specifically to use synthetic, then regular oil should be fine. everything is subjective, whether you can feel the acceleration or not from using regular gas/oil.
thank you, another sane person, that has common sense.
Old 06-18-10, 08:25 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

I change oil ever 4k miles using Toyota engine oil and Toyota oil filter.

Toyota Type T-IV for transmission fluid every 8k miles.

Toyota brake fluid and Toyota Long life coolant every 30k.

I run on 87 octane fuel. Throw in a bottle of Redline fuel injector cleaner once every 20k miles to clean out the injectors. Contrary to how people feel about gas treatment, my gas gauge says good thing about it
Old 06-18-10, 08:32 PM
PlatES300
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 01LEXPL
Yeah i do. And i think you are crazy for spending more money on a car made to run & work with regular gas/oil. Neither will 'boost' performance or 'rob' you of any. As ling as you change it on time.

i think you should read up on www.bobistheoilguy.com a little more

did i mention regular gas & oil AS PER MY MANUAL, for the last 115k miles? OMG NO WAI! I'm doing it wrong though, right?

Btw, I'm not saying it, Lexus is... you know, the engineers that made your car?

thank you, another sane person, that has common sense.
I've had 3 ES300's in the past 6 years. My first one, a 2000 model, had 176k on it before it got totalled out. I ran regular gas, regular oil since the day I bought it and it still ran like it was brand new when it was totalled out. My second ES was a 97 and it's still running wit 245k miles on it. Regular oil/gas and it's still going like a champ - no leaks and still performs great and still gets 25mpg. My current ES, another 2000 model, has 110k on it running regular gas/oil since day 1. Still runs like it's brand new.

I don't see the need to pay the extra money for synthetic oil or premium gas when my car runs fine using regular. I have actually tried running synthetic and premium gas for about 20k miles and noticed almost no difference as far as performance and gas mileage is concerned. But hey, if it makes you feel better, then go with the synthetic and premium gas. I'm just stating what I've gone through with my three cars. so yes I agree -if the manual says regular, then I'll stick with it.
Old 06-19-10, 08:48 AM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

^^ I agree, and i will keep doing the same thing.

Like i said, i have gotten a good 40k out of this car using this method, and will keep doing it so long as it is drivable!

Also, as mentioned i fail to see [from the previous poster] any 'need' to run more money into the car, especially when it runs so well!
Old 06-19-10, 11:00 PM
Megafast13
Instructor

I am not saying you cannot use 87 octane or regular oil on your lexus, what I am saying is that I disagree with what he said:

As I said, Syn. Oil:

* Measurably better low and high temperature viscosity performance
* Better chemical & shear stability
* Decreased evaporative loss
* Resistance to oxidation, thermal breakdown and oil sludge problems
* Extended drain intervals with the environmental benefit of less oil waste.
* Improved fuel economy in certain engine configurations.
* Better lubrication on cold starts
* Longer engine life

And treatments with lower grade gas will do the same.

The few advantages with the high grade fuel are that depending on your car's compression ratios. Octane has to do with the rate of burn. The higher the octane, the slower the burn; the slower the burn, the more advanced timing you can run. The idea is to get more power by timing combustion closer to TDC (downstroke) at higher RPM's to get more travel out of the piston. If you're getting pinging, then higher octane gas burns slower allowing the piston to travel further before full combustion. Thus giving you better MPG &/or performance.

No need to argue, just try syn oil and high grade gas and report back with your results, you'll see a difference.
Old 06-19-10, 11:24 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

The few advantages with the high grade fuel are that depending on your car's compression ratios. Octane has to do with the rate of burn. The higher the octane, the slower the burn; the slower the burn, the more advanced timing you can run. The idea is to get more power by timing combustion closer to TDC (downstroke) at higher RPM's to get more travel out of the piston. If you're getting pinging, then higher octane gas burns slower allowing the piston to travel further before full combustion. Thus giving you better MPG &/or performance.

No need to argue, just try syn oil and high grade gas and report back with your results, you'll see a difference.
You should at least give credit to ej95cobra for this post. I remember seeing it on another forum about half a year ago.

In any case, he is right about getting more power with higher octane fuel IF (big if) you can get the timing to increase. The problem is that the ECU in the ES is not programmed to take advantage of 91 octane. If you give it higher octane, it's not going to advance timing so you're not going to see any benefit at all, except maybe weight reduction due to less money in your wallet

Synthetic oil and high octane fuel are 'feel good' mods because the equivalent Camry doesn't need all these things and they run like they should per Toyota spec. How well you maintain your car is far more important that what product you use.
Old 06-20-10, 03:13 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

I am not saying you cannot use 87 octane or regular oil on your lexus, what I am saying is that I disagree with what he said:

As I said, Syn. Oil:

* Measurably better low and high temperature viscosity performance
* Better chemical & shear stability
* Decreased evaporative loss
* Resistance to oxidation, thermal breakdown and oil sludge problems
* Extended drain intervals with the environmental benefit of less oil waste.
* Improved fuel economy in certain engine configurations.
* Better lubrication on cold starts
* Longer engine life

And treatments with lower grade gas will do the same.

Yeah, nice job numb nuts. That copy'n'paste agrees with my prior post that you are trying so hard to critique and disprove, but miserably failing since you cannot prove me wrong.

Did you get a tune on your car to run on higher octane? No.
Therefore = 91+ is useless as per above points

The oil debacle, i'm not gonna bother with that, since it too looks like a nice copy/paste from wikipedia.

There are some advantages and disadvantages to both dino & syn. oil.

My personal point, is that it is not needed in the ES300. WHy? Since it is not a high performance/ high compression motor.

There is a reason that Lexus just pours in regular dino oil in this model out of the factory.

Furthermore there is a reason that say, a Dodge Caliber SRT-4 calls for PURE synthetic from the factory.

Next time, read up and inform yourself on what you are trying to argue, since i'm willing to bet you aren't running pure synthetic either, but a mere blend, so half your oil-blend is what i am running.

I never bothered with synthetic blends, since i had an extended warranty on the car, so i had to mail/fax in a work order from my shop that it was done every 3 months. Second, i have a 3min. commute to work everyday, so a good half year would pass by the time i'd need to change the oil if i was running synthetic, and well, regardless of synthetic or not, it shouldn't be sitting around for 6+ months.

In terms of trying to run premium fuels, etc. I had done my research and 87 is best on this car.

The whole 'fuel' debate boils down to money. So you spend 1.40$ on 91, whereas i spend 1.25 on 87, you get a couple more miles out of tank [many times you will actually get LESS mileage since, octane in higher number burns faster ] and you are out more money then me!

-Mike

Last edited by 01LEXPL; 06-20-10 at 03:17 PM.