ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Help/Advice requested Re: '98 Lexus ES300 - HID & Fog lights.

Old 06-02-10, 11:35 PM
TAMEDV8
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Help/Advice requested Re: '98 Lexus ES300 - HID & Fog lights.

Hi folks,

Will greatly appreciate any input/help provided on this. I have a 1998 Lexus ES300, its stock and has all the original setup.

The headlights are regular stock lights with halogen bulbs, as are the fogs.

Now, what I'd like to do is install an aftermarket HID kit with slim ballasts - for the main lowbeam [I know I know, there will be glare etc... but I plan on aiming the lights a tad lower after the install]. I have already purchased a HID kit with H7 bulbs. And install yellow bulbs from Nokya into the fog lights.

Here is the issue: a) No clue how to install the HID in the lowbeam. [Any tutorial? walk through? anything?]
and b) how to access the fog light bulbs? I have looked under the car, on the sides, from the top... nada, nowhere to access the darn fog lights from behind to replace bulbs.

Please kindly provide any help you can... =)
Old 06-03-10, 09:02 AM
QuachmanES
Lead Lap

I'm in the process of installing HID's for my car as well. I haven't tried installing the fogs yet, but people have said you might need to drill a hole in the back of the foglight cover to feed the wires through.

Also, here's a very useful thread I've used before to access the fogs.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...7-99-more.html

Search is your friend, there are many useful threads regarding HID's, you can also try checking out the lighting forum we have.
Old 06-03-10, 09:24 AM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

how original
Old 06-03-10, 09:57 AM
TAMEDV8
Driver School Candidate

^Thank you Quach and EXPL for your input... Very grateful and much appreciated.

That link you posted for the fog lights quach, was immensely helpful! THANK YOUUUU!

Now my only hindrance remains about installing the HIDs in my main lowbeams. Anyone has a DIY tutorial? any input? should I even attempt it myself or?
Old 06-03-10, 12:28 PM
GoodRevs
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

It's really simple bud. First decide if you're gonna use a relay harness, which complicates it a little more but not by that much. I started off with a relay but switched to pnp because I figure since HID's were an option (for my year, not yours) the wiring rating was the same between HID and halogen.

Anyhow, find a spot to mount the ballasts. It's kinda hard with these ES's because there isn't much room in there, but I originally say mine up against the battery and near the collant tank. Then (assuming you're doing a plug-n-play) you plug the stock wiring in the cable that connects to the ballast. The other male port on the ballast will run to the bulb.

You may want to consider sourcing a set of the HID headlight assemblies for the 00-01 ES's. They are made specifically for HID's and present a much better beam pattern than the halogen's.

HID's in Halogen housings

HID assemblies
Old 06-03-10, 02:43 PM
TAMEDV8
Driver School Candidate

^Thank you Goodrevs. Appreciated...

NOW - anyone using HIDs in their ES's without the relay harness? Must it be used or?

Darn it, it keeps getting complicated.
Old 06-03-10, 04:11 PM
GoodRevs
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by TAMEDV8

NOW - anyone using HIDs in their ES's without the relay harness? Must it be used or?

Use the relay harness
Old 06-03-10, 04:32 PM
angmedic91
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a 98 ES300 and have HID's with halogen housing and I am not using a relay. I guess it would depend on the wattage used for the HID's. The standard lowbeam H7 halogen bulb uses 55 watts. The HID unit I am using is a 35watt H7 8000k bulb without any issues. It's very bright and bluish and I am also using HID's for my fogs / driiving lights, those are 35watt with a 6000k bulb, with no relay. I would suspect if your going to use a 55 watt or higher HID unit, then I might use the relay, so it draws power from the battery vs. going thru a wire loom and fuses. Good luck bro.
Old 06-03-10, 08:50 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by TAMEDV8

do not use a relay harness

its a waste of money. and your oem bulbs have more current flowing thru the wires than the hids will...
Old 06-03-10, 09:50 PM
TAMEDV8
Driver School Candidate

Thank you yet again all of you thus far, I am ever so grateful for members helping each other out.

Due to the help/info gathered from this site, I was able to install yellow bulbs in the fogs in just a matter of few minutes. THANK YOU!!!

Tried to tackle the HIDs by installing them today, however, stopped after the clip holding the lowbeam bulb wouldn't hold the xenon bulb securely. Arrgh. What did you guys do? Modify the same clip or some home made remedy?

I am going to follow the advice shared in this thread and NOT use the relays.
Old 06-03-10, 10:21 PM
QuachmanES
Lead Lap

I haven't had a chance to install my fogs yet, so I'm going to turn around and ask you.

Did you drill a hole into the cap in the back of the fog light housing? Or do it some other way?
Old 06-03-10, 10:53 PM
TAMEDV8
Driver School Candidate

^Haha, glad to help it ANY way I can ... afterall, it was due to your post that I was able to get to the difficult fogs in the first place.

I simply replaced my stock bulbs with yellow Nokya ones. No HIDs in the fogs, not yet atleast.

Sorry, I wish I could be of more help.
Old 06-03-10, 11:15 PM
QuachmanES
Lead Lap

Ohh, alright. How are the Nokya bulbs btw? I have yellow 2500K Luminics in my foglights and love them, but I'm upgrading to HID's soon.
Old 06-04-10, 11:53 AM
TAMEDV8
Driver School Candidate

The Nokya bulbs are amazing... it was a toss up between Nokya or Luminics, and I ended up picking up the former.

So far so good [then again its only been two days! ]

Yellows do make a huge difference though; I had no idea how wide the fog light beam was until I installed these Nokyas in there.

I'll post pictures as soon as I have the darn HID setup done.