ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

sloshing water sounds ... ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-10, 04:50 PM
mtnman82
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sloshing water sounds ... ?

I saw one other post on this which came to no conclusion...

I hear what sounds like water sloshing around coming from the firewall area behind the dash just after I start the car sometimes ('96 ES300). Just wondering if anyone else has heard this and if it is a normal thing? Or if the one other person who posted and I are the only ones who've heard this?
Old 02-24-10, 06:19 PM
HamBurglar
Driver

I've owned 2 2nd Gen ES300's and both had made that sound on occasions from a cold start. I had no idea myself, I always thought it fuel going where it needs to go? Ha!
Old 02-25-10, 11:14 AM
ES3_Ray
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

possibly water in your door, check by removing the door panel.

the only problem i know of with the 97+ es300's is that theres water that gets into the trunk area, but thats at the other end of the car.
Old 02-25-10, 11:42 AM
buci
Driver

Air in the cooling system maybe,check the coolant level.
Old 02-25-10, 12:44 PM
GoodRevs
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

I know the sound you're referring to, we had it on our '96 Blazer. Does it sound like a gurgle at times, especially when accelerating? For us it was an issue with the A/C, if I remember correctly the compressor. I'd check that first.
Old 02-25-10, 05:01 PM
HamBurglar
Driver

When ever I've heard that sloshing sound in either of my ES300's it was always on a cold start after the car had sat over night.
Only heard it right maybe 3 seconds after I started the car while still in park, a quick sound but very noticeable.
Sounds like someone was tipping a big 5 gallon jug of water from one side to another or pouring water into a large container or something.
Didn't happen very often and didn't seem to affect the functionality of anything so I always just ignored it.
Still am very curious to what it could be.

Buci- My A/C never had any problem, but that's a good start. I'll have to check that out.

ES3 Ray- I've noticed water in my trunk before but only in the area on the far right side where the jack, tools, etc go. Just curious how does that occur?

Good Revs- I don't know about the OP but the only time I've heard this was right after the key was turned, still in park?
Old 02-25-10, 06:07 PM
mtnman82
Rookie

We've only had the car for a few weeks - haven't driven it that much... But the only times I've heard it is right after a cold start - a few seconds after as HamBurglar noted. Yup, sounds like a big 5 gallon container that is partially full and someone is sloshing the water back and forth. Car seems to run fine, passed smog check with absurdly low emmissions, no over heating, etc. Mostly curious if this was a warning about something wrong/going wrong, or if this was just a 'normal' noise and not to be concerned. The cooling system seems full (overflow tank is full and hasn't lost any water), but that doesn't necessarily mean there isn't any air in the system. I guess it could be the A/C too - guess I'll be checking both...

Good to know I'm not 'hearing things'.
Old 02-25-10, 07:16 PM
QuachmanES
Lead Lap

I'm also curious as to how water gets into the trunk area.

I've checked under my trunk mats on several occasions after washing my car, and there would be water underneath. There was some in the side pocket for the jack, and a decent amount in the well for the spare tire. I couldn't find any visible leaks, and the top carpet was completely dry, yet under the carpet and the mat, there was a lot of built up moisture.

Luckily, there was a small rubber seal in the bottom that you can pop out to drain the water.
Old 02-26-10, 01:29 AM
llcoolpass
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

this is a common noise on cars , its the gas tank
Old 02-26-10, 07:52 AM
ES3_Ray
Lead Lap

it occurs through the tail light. the corner piece, the seal they use isnt good enough, to remedy it, i didnt improve the seal, i just removed the rubber stopper at the bottom of that part.
Old 02-26-10, 09:15 AM
QuachmanES
Lead Lap

Really? I popped off the plastic cover inside the trunk to access the tail light bulbs, and didn't see any water leaking in.

I popped off the rubber stop to drain the water, but didn't want to leave it out. Thanks.
Old 02-26-10, 10:15 AM
amcdonal86
Pole Position

I had a '92 Camry V6 wagon that made the same exact sound you describe. I think it was related to the cooling system. Check your coolant.

My Camry soon overheated and was ruined. lol
Old 02-26-10, 07:02 PM
HamBurglar
Driver

Originally Posted by llcoolpass
this is a common noise on cars , its the gas tank
That makes the most sense.
Old 02-26-10, 07:07 PM
HamBurglar
Driver

Originally Posted by ES3_Ray
it occurs through the tail light. the corner piece, the seal they use isnt good enough, to remedy it, i didnt improve the seal, i just removed the rubber stopper at the bottom of that part.
Good to know. Next time I remove the tails I'll be sure to look out for it.
Any thoughts on how to fix/improve the seal?
My water situation was never really bad, just occasionally a little water near the jack but not on it (no rusty jack). Only my lug nut lock and that lexus wrench got a little rusty
Old 03-24-10, 01:07 AM
krb90
Driver School Candidate

New to the forum here, lookig through some threads. I know this ones a little old, but the sound of water rushing behind the dash as first described is air pockets in the coolant system. The sound is the water rushing through the heater core, and you hear it during acceleration as the water pump speed increases.

Solution is to "burp" the system. When adding coolant, make sure the the radiator cap inlet is at the highest point of the whole system. Park on a hill, or jack up the front of the car. Add coolant till full, and in a second or two air bubbles will escape and the level will drop slightly. Repeat till air is gone.

hope this helps.

Quick Reply: sloshing water sounds ... ?