ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

What to look for with a high mileage ES

Old 12-29-09, 01:59 PM
BMWZ3
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to look for with a high mileage ES

I'm looking at a 2000 ES with 180k on it. It looks very clean, 2 owners, apparently highway miles. Anything I should look for? Thanks!
Old 12-29-09, 02:35 PM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

There are several important things that you should look for, but as far as I am concerned the top 2 are:

1) Remove the front valve cover and inspect for sludge.
2) Make sure that the timing belt was changed.

Some Others are:
3) Look for unusual smoke, especially Blue or white smoke
4) Check for Oil leaks, and find the cause (if any)
5) Check transmission fluid
6) Check the oil for any sign of coolant contamination
7) Check the coolant for any sign of oil contamination
8) Make sure that the check engine light is not ON. and if ON find the cause.
9) Test drive the car, preferably from a cold start, and see if all is normal.
10) Get the CARFAX report for your car.

Phil
Old 12-29-09, 02:40 PM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by PFB
There are several important things that you should look for, but as far as I am concerned the top 2 are:

1) Remove the front valve cover and inspect for sludge.
2) Make sure that the timing belt was changed.

Some Others are:
3) Look for unusual smoke, especially Blue or white smoke
4) Check for Oil leaks, and find the cause (if any)
5) Check transmission fluid
6) Check the oil for any sign of coolant contamination
7) Check the coolant for any sign of oil contamination
8) Make sure that the check engine light is not ON. and if ON find the cause.
9) Test drive the car, preferably from a cold start, and see if all is normal.
10) Get the CARFAX report for your car.

Phil
^^^^1, great checklist, only thing I would add is try to get the service history from a Lexus dealer
Old 12-29-09, 04:07 PM
BMWZ3
Driver School Candidate

Hmm..How do I remove the valve cover at this dealers place without looking odd? isnt there any other easier way to see? and how do i know if the timing belt was changed?
Old 12-29-09, 04:27 PM
angmedic91
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow, thats a good checklist, props. If the car is at the dealer, guess that would be hard to remove the valve cover. Ask the dealer for a service history and hope the two previous owners used a Lexus dealer to service the car. Here in Calif. Lexus has a central data base of service history for Lexus vehicles that have been serviced at any Lexus dealer in Calif. I can't speak for other states or if Lexus dealers at other states share that data, but when I bought my car in Calif, it showed where the car was serviced and what was done to it. If it has been serviced and oil changed as scheduled, then your chance of buying a car with sludge is slim to none. Good luck on your find.
Old 12-29-09, 05:46 PM
PFB
Lexus Champion

1) In reference to my point No 1. See if you can come to an agreement with the dealer that you will buy the car conditional upon you or your mechanic removing the FRONT valve cover gasket to inspect for sludge and that none exists. If you do subsequently buy the car, he should deduct the cost of removing the valve cover and the new gasket, from the price of the car. Or at leats split it with him half and half. Should not be more that $80 Total.

In reference to my point No 2. Try to obtain the name, and phone number of the previous owner. Call him and ask him about the car. At this point he has nothing to loose, since he sold it already. Hopefully he is a nice guy, and will cooperate. You will also learn from him things about the car, that you would not have know otherwise. If the timing belt was not done, than you are looking at an additional cost to you of $800 - $1,000. Maybe you can negotiate this, or at least a part of it, into the purchase price as well. Otherwise include this in your budget as a MUST DO as soon as Possible.

Good Luck,

Phil

Last edited by PFB; 12-29-09 at 05:55 PM.
Old 12-29-09, 06:31 PM
BMWZ3
Driver School Candidate

Jeez! i'm not looking to spend 800-1000. I'm fairly good at mechanics but, I'm just looking for a good commuter and something reliable. About when do the timing belts go bad on these?
Old 12-29-09, 07:01 PM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BMWZ3
Jeez! i'm not looking to spend 800-1000. I'm fairly good at mechanics but, I'm just looking for a good commuter and something reliable. About when do the timing belts go bad on these?
On my car at least, a 2001 ES300, (and should be the same for yours), Lexus specifies changing the timing belt every 90k Miles, or 72 Months. Hopefully, the first one was done already at around 90 K miles. Now you have to find out if it was done the second time. That's not something you want to take a chance with. Also consider that unless there were some extraneous circumstances, its unlikely that the previous owner would have gone to the expense of changing the timing belt, and then sell the car a short time later.

Sometimes, a good garage puts a sticker somewhere on the engine indicating when the timing belt was done. Maybe this car has one.

Last edited by PFB; 12-29-09 at 07:14 PM.
Old 12-29-09, 07:04 PM
llcoolpass
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well since the early 90s at least lexus has a nationwide computer system
Old 12-29-09, 08:06 PM
mmlex1987
Intermediate

I think everyone gave you great advice, especially with the timing belt. That is a must. I am pretty confident it has been replaced at least once and it would be nice to know the mileage it was replaced at to gauge when it should be done again. I know it is recommended at 90K, however, I was personally told under normal driving conditions(by a Lexus Technician) one can easily go to 120k. Would I go to 120K, probably not, but it may help you if you know when the first one was replaced.

By the way, how much are you paying for the vehicle?
Old 12-30-09, 09:00 AM
PFB
Lexus Champion

If its not practical to remove the valve cover before purchasing the car, than at least remove the PCV valve (1 Min Job to reach, remove and re-install,) and examine it to make sure it not blocked, and that is free of Junk. Its located at the rear Valve cover, is extremely accessible and easy to pull out by hand. 1 Min at the most. Also remove and examine the Oil Cap. Check for Blow-by at the same time.

This is better than nothing, but not by much.

The Timing belt remains a MAJOR concern.

Phil

Last edited by PFB; 12-30-09 at 11:51 AM.
Old 12-30-09, 11:06 AM
llcoolpass
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"What to look for with a high mileage ES"
depends on the year and the generation and the climate/other conditions the vehicle was used in previously
Old 01-01-10, 07:17 AM
BMWZ3
Driver School Candidate

I bought it. The dealer called up the old owner and he had said he had not done the second timing so thats something i'm going to have to look into doing myself. My brother in law is very good at that stuff so we will have a dandy time taking care of that i'm sure. It was kind of in the dark and freezing cold so I probably didn't spend enough time looking at it, so this morning im going to go out into th day light and see what I bought. 4k plus tax title license 4329. Edmunds says private party is 5100 so I think I got a good deal and I do have a little bit saved over if anything horrible does go wrong. But driving an ES again puts a smile on my face. A pleasant surprise was pulling up and seeing the chrome rings in the headlights that werent visible in the pics. HIDS! Seeing that I was kind of almost sold already, like it was meant to be. You all probably think i'm crazy but its the new year, i have high hopes!
Old 02-17-12, 02:42 PM
Gchutes
Rookie

Just take it to a mechanic before you buy. Simple as that.
Old 02-17-12, 03:32 PM
brucelee1
Racer

Received 87 Likes on 74 Posts

https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lex...-lexus/home.do

Go to this site, register and see if you new car has any service information.

Good luck

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What to look for with a high mileage ES