ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

3ES: My 99 ES300 facelift about to start

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-09, 07:27 AM
gawillet
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3ES: My 99 ES300 facelift about to start

Hello everyone,
I have a 99 ES300 with only 80k miles on it. The engine and transmission run like a dream. However the suspension needs to be totally replaced. After lot of searching and reading here, I’m now ready to buy parts. But before I do, I’m looking for advice or opinions on the parts I should buy. I want the ride to stay close to stock, but I want to lower it 1” with H&R springs. Can I buy OEM suspension parts and just use the H&R springs or will I blow the shocks?

I’ve looked at tirerack.com and they offer KYB shocks and strut. I’m also updated the strut/shock mounts. I’ve read good and bad reviews, but most bad reviews came from people running 18-20” rims. I’m buying 17x7.5 or 17 x7 rims with 215/50/17 tires. Anyone else have an opinion on KYB.
http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/S...lar=&brand=all

For rims and tires, I’m looking at one of the following rims:
First choice:
http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Wheel...wheelModel=I04
Second choice:
http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Wheel...wheelModel=DV5

What should I be using for offset and backspacing. It looks like most people with the 2ES use +40, does that hold true for the 3ES?
Tires: Goodyear Assurance TripleTred (All-Season). I have these on the stock 15’s and they are a great year-round tire.

As soon as the suspension and wheels/tires are on I’m getting a new paint job! Someone rubbed the passenger door in a parking lot pretty good and the paint itself is showing its age. Nothing too fancy, just a nice gloss black all around.

Other little areas need fixing, like the clock above the radio doesn’t work, the steering wheel squeaks when turning, the leather above the glove box is lifting up. After reading this forum I’ve found solutions to most of these issues already.

Sorry for the long post, any help or opinions you guys/gals have would be greatly appreciated. I’ll be posting before and after pictures as the build continues.
Old 09-08-09, 05:38 PM
gawillet
Driver School Candidate

Well I put my order in at tirerack.com for the wheels and tires. The wheels are back ordered until 9/16/09. I hope it doesn't turn into a back order nightmare.

I'll be ordering the suspension parts this week. Advanced auto parts is looking into the same parts as tirerack to see if they can beat the price and provide free shipping.

The Paint job isn't going so hot. I was hoping for a price around $3k, but the lowest i've found out of three places is between $5-6k. What should I expect to play for paint job?

I've done a few photo shops (very rough) to show the look i'm going for. I'm too lazy to photoshop a 1" lower, you get the idea.

As it sits right now:

The new wheels and tires:

New Paint job:
Old 09-08-09, 08:20 PM
ES3_Ray
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just a quick photoshop lol.

mine is a 98, on eibach pro-kit springs w/ monroe sens-a-traks

(It's usually much cleaner and it now has FX projectors in it)
Old 09-08-09, 08:35 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

ET 40 wheels will be fine.

I ran ET40 ion 18x8's and this year, 17x7's with ET40, and zero issues.

I would suggest getting a more performance orientated tire as opposed to ****ty all season. Since they are not the best. That size in particular gets pricey, i found that out last week when i had to get new tires. And the brands that make them are not the best [performance wise]. So i went ahead and opted for some 225/45R17's. It is literally 2.8% difference between the stock 16's, so nothing to cry over and it is not extreme. I figured for the price of being 'super close' to stock, i would lose a grippy tire, more $$ and all round not be happy. GL!

Oh and if you will end up keeping your stock ones, turn those into a winter set!
Old 09-09-09, 01:26 PM
onslaught

I say go with 18s. How much is a new paint job?!
Old 09-09-09, 04:20 PM
gawillet
Driver School Candidate

I didn't want to go with 18's because I thought the ride would be too rough. I figured the springs would stiffen the ride so I’ll keep more rubber on the wheel with 215/50/17. I've switched my tire choice to General Altimax HP. They had better reviews and a better rating with quiet and comfort. I have the Good year triple tread and they are a little too loud for me.

Everything is ordered now, wheels, tires, suspension parts (KYB Struts and H&R springs) and the paint job is scheduled for the last week in September. I'm getting the entire car painted gloss black, every fender, bumper, door handle, and so on, will be removed and painted. The out the door price is $3,000 even.

I'll post pictures as the progress continues.

Last edited by gawillet; 09-10-09 at 05:27 AM.
Old 09-11-09, 11:59 AM
gawillet
Driver School Candidate

WOO HOOO! Everything arrived today.

TireRack is awesome. I ordered everything on Wednesday evening and it was delivered this afternoon, Friday. That’s less than 48 hours to my door, wow!

I can't wait to get this all installed. I also moved up my time to start the paint to next week, so that should be done by the end of next week.

Here are the pictures:

I'll post pictures after the suspension and wheels are on Monday night.
Old 09-11-09, 12:36 PM
DixonPai
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Very nice, are you installing everything your self?
Old 09-11-09, 12:47 PM
ktranne
Rookie

subscribed to this thread......
Old 09-11-09, 12:51 PM
gawillet
Driver School Candidate

I was going to install everything this weekend, but the shop I use for alignments said they could install everything for $300 including the alignment. They are good people and it frees up my weekend and saves me from renting a spring compressor, so I’ll let them do it.
Old 09-11-09, 03:09 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

300 for install plus alignment seems fair. Installation alone is normally 200-250 anyways. Good luck on your project
Old 09-13-09, 01:45 PM
onslaught

$3000? Hmmmm....thats alot. You sure you want to spend that much on a car that's 10 years old? I mean whatever makes your heart content

You try Maaco? I got my last car repainted there for $990....pretty decent job.
Old 09-14-09, 05:34 AM
gawillet
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by onslaught
$3000? Hmmmm....thats alot. You sure you want to spend that much on a car that's 10 years old? .
The simple answer...yes

Originally Posted by onslaught
You try Maaco? I got my last car repainted there for $990....pretty decent job.
I would run away from anyone who said they could paint any car for under $1,000
Old 09-14-09, 06:28 AM
onslaught

Well I mean it was for the same color though. Changing the color of the car would probably cost a little bit more.

But if you're going to do all this work to it, I'd at least change the front bumper to the 00-01 and get the fogs/corners/tails of the 00-01 too.
Old 09-15-09, 11:20 AM
gawillet
Driver School Candidate

Well step one is done! The suspension and wheels are on. I also had them machine the rotors and replace the brake pads front and rear. I also had them replace the two engine belts that were making noise.

This car drives fantastic! It is stiffer, but a lot better than bouncing all over the road like it was. On normal driving conditions with the usual bump, crack or man-hole cover the car just glides over them with ease, larger bumps like potholes it's harsh but the car doesn't lose any control like it use to. The best thing is the steering and handling. The car is soooo much more responsive and solid, I love it! The car lowered 1" front and 1.125" rear

Step two: It is going in tonight to get painted black. That will take about a week to complete so check back soon to see more pictures.

Oh yeah, I also painted the calipers black with some G2 paint.

Quick Reply: 3ES: My 99 ES300 facelift about to start