ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

3ES: My 99 ES300 facelift about to start

Old 09-15-09, 01:35 PM
Kusay76
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats on the 1st step, the car looks great. Who did the install? I need to do mine but don't know any decent shops.
Old 09-15-09, 01:48 PM
gawillet
Driver School Candidate

I used Quality Transmission & Auto repair in Midland, MI.
I drove around to just about every auto repair shop in the area and asked them a lot of questions. This shop had a mature work staff that answered all my questions and notice when I threw in a BS question that didn't make any sense. They went above and beyond what I asked them to do and only charged me for what they quoted.
Old 09-15-09, 02:42 PM
DixonPai
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Very nice looking es, keep up the good work
Old 09-15-09, 05:06 PM
Kusay76
Driver School Candidate

Midland is a little far for me, I hoped I would get lucky. I found one in Ann Arbor I wanna check out, hopefully they aren't too expensive. Running out of time before winter and i'm getting sick of looking at these boxes.
Old 09-17-09, 03:15 PM
gawillet
Driver School Candidate

The car is almost done being painted! The last batch was baking as I left. It looks awesome! tomorrow they are going to wet sand it and buff it all out. I'll be picking it up after work.

Old 09-19-09, 09:07 AM
gawillet
Driver School Candidate

The car is done for the moment. The Paint looks great! They still want me to bring the car back and do a couple little touchup areas. I'll take better pictures with my DSLR after the car gets detailed next week. Other small updates will be complete next week as well. New Lexus black carpet floor mats have already shipped and the windows will be tinted front, back and rear. I'm looking for new front headlights. Anyone have any recommendations with pictures?

Last edited by gawillet; 09-19-09 at 08:09 PM.
Old 09-19-09, 09:41 AM
onslaught

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks clean! Wish you had thrown on the 00-01 front bumper and grille though....would've looks insane!
Old 09-19-09, 12:25 PM
DixonPai
Instructor

Very Nice, the paint look nice, monotone black is so nice and its black on black even better.
Old 09-19-09, 12:53 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Props to you for coming through with it all!

By the way, why are you waxing as early as next week? You should let the paint cure properly for min. of 30 days before you should start washing it, let alone waxing the car...

Regardless, this is one nice ES300.

Originally Posted by onslaught
Looks clean! Wish you had thrown on the 00-01 front bumper and grille though....would've looks insane!
Agreed, the grill you could get away with, but the 00-01 bumper/fogs FTW! *and tail lights

Originally Posted by DixonPai
Very Nice, the paint look nice, monotone black is so nice and its black on black even better.
Ummm, i see a grey interior...
Old 09-19-09, 08:03 PM
Rollin'ES3
Lexus Test Driver

WOW NICE!!!! I love the solid black on the 3ES

Looks stealth!!
Old 09-19-09, 08:32 PM
gawillet
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the comments.

Sorry, I shouldn't have said wax, it’s a non-wax or non-silicone type polish/glaze that doesn't stop the curing process of the paint. It takes out any swirl marks and makes the black look even richer. It also removes any compound used by the paint shop that was missed

I was debating getting a new 01 bumper because the current one had a crack in it. They patched it up so the crack is gone but they warned me that over time the crack might reappear. The paint shop said they will only charge me $100 to paint a new bumper and install it if I decide to go that route.

With black paint the headlights look very yellow. Anyone have opinions on headlights?

I’m also trying to figure out the interior lighting with LED thread. The result is awesome but the thread is kind of confusing. I don’t know exactly what I need to buy.
Old 09-20-09, 12:25 AM
DixonPai
Instructor

Originally Posted by 01LEXPL

Ummm, i see a grey interior...

was on laptop didn't see that ahahah still nice though
Old 09-20-09, 10:18 AM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by gawillet
Thanks for the comments.

Sorry, I shouldn't have said wax, it’s a non-wax or non-silicone type polish/glaze that doesn't stop the curing process of the paint. It takes out any swirl marks and makes the black look even richer. It also removes any compound used by the paint shop that was missed

I was debating getting a new 01 bumper because the current one had a crack in it. They patched it up so the crack is gone but they warned me that over time the crack might reappear. The paint shop said they will only charge me $100 to paint a new bumper and install it if I decide to go that route.

With black paint the headlights look very yellow. Anyone have opinions on headlights?

I’m also trying to figure out the interior lighting with LED thread. The result is awesome but the thread is kind of confusing. I don’t know exactly what I need to buy.
click the link in my signature...

My little project!
Old 09-21-09, 04:27 AM
onslaught

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The headlights look pretty clear in the pics. But pics can be deceiving. Use wet sand paper to sand off the yellowness on the headlights, then use scratchx to remove the scratches made from the sand paper, and then plastx to polish off the lens...

Should look solid after that process, I did it to mine, and then look damn near brand new!
Old 09-21-09, 09:10 AM
Pyroibw
Pole Position

paintjob looks great. how much did it run you?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 3ES: My 99 ES300 facelift about to start