ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Just want to say hello and have a question about oil

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-09, 07:59 AM
schmoozer
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Just want to say hello and have a question about oil

Hi everyone!

I am an owner of a 97 ES300 and love it! Most reliable and comfortable car I've ever owned (as compared to a Z28 and Jeep wrangler lol). Have had it for about a year and a half and its been great.

I just have a quick question about oil. I'm due for an oil change and was thinking of making the switch over to synthetic and doing it myself. Now to my knowledge only generic stuff has been put into the car for its life (120K miles). I was wondering if there will be any issues with making a dramatic switch like that or if its even worth it for the extra money. The engine runs fine (knock on wood) and doesn't leak or anything, but i'd like to keep it running as long as possible and use the best stuff I can.

I'm also unsure of the weight to use. I'm sure I can look at the owners manual but wanted to first get some real world opinions. I live in Florida, so the temperatures can reach 100 and get down to sometimes the 40s even high 30s.

Thanks for your help!
Old 08-20-09, 08:24 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Thumbs up

If your car currently does not have any oil leaks (as you mentioned it did not) then you are good to go & make the switch to synthetic. Your in FLA so I would suggest a 10W 30 synthetic & a quality oil filter. Grab a case of 12 Toyota OE filters & some drain plug gaskets or switch to the Fumoto oil drain valve....which makes things less messy. You will be able to go 6 months or 5k miles easily between changes with synthetic & at the same time keep costs down.

More info here on the valve...

http://www.fumotousa.com/

The oil filter on our engines are a bugger because of their location....to avoid a mess on the manifold when you take it off.....it's been advised to cut out a 20oz soda bottle and put it over the filter when removing.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-20-09, 08:43 AM
schmoozer
Driver

Haha thanks for the recommendation of using a coke bottle to catch the filters oil. I would have definitely made a mess....

I was planning just to use a Mobile 1 filter, but are the Toyota ones better? Cheaper?

Also I thought I remember reading somewhere that Mobile one has a few brands of synthetic, like one with more additives or something. Do you know of any pros or cons of that.

Thanks!
Old 08-20-09, 09:57 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by schmoozer
Haha thanks for the recommendation of using a coke bottle to catch the filters oil. I would have definitely made a mess....

I was planning just to use a Mobile 1 filter, but are the Toyota ones better? Cheaper?

Also I thought I remember reading somewhere that Mobile one has a few brands of synthetic, like one with more additives or something. Do you know of any pros or cons of that.

Thanks!
Mobil 1 filters are definately good filters.....used them in the past. I use Amsoil for both the oil & filters now though & have for years.

Mobil 1 has an extended interval good for up to 15k miles if memory serves which has an enhanced additive package. Is it worth it compared to regular Mobil 1 synthetic...that would depend if you are comfortable leaving the oil in the car that long. Either way, stock up when the stuff is on sale.
Old 08-20-09, 10:13 AM
schmoozer
Driver

Originally Posted by Lexusfreak
Mobil 1 filters are definately good filters.....used them in the past. I use Amsoil for both the oil & filters now though & have for years.

Mobil 1 has an extended interval good for up to 15k miles if memory serves which has an enhanced additive package. Is it worth it compared to regular Mobil 1 synthetic...that would depend if you are comfortable leaving the oil in the car that long. Either way, stock up when the stuff is on sale.
Well in any case I will be changing it every 3000 miles still (I don't drive that much), so I'm just wondering if getting high mileage stuff is necessarily worth it or better than just the straight mobile one synthetic.
Old 08-20-09, 01:57 PM
Trexus

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Welcome to Club Lexus and the ES forum.

I would go with the Toyota oil filters. Some are made in the U.S or Thailand. The best ones are made in Japan. The oil filter 90915-20004 are probably the best and very hard to find. You can order these oil filters from Carson Toyota. Here's a link to the website or you can call them to order them and they should give you a Club Lexus discount.

http://www.l-tunedparts.com/product/?id=2217
Old 08-20-09, 03:12 PM
Motil10108
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lexusfreak and Trexus' suggestions are the way to go. Plus you end up saving yourself a couple of bucks from a dealership oil change (~$60) and know what kind of oil you're going to put in.
Welcome to the Club Lexus Family
Old 08-20-09, 03:22 PM
schmoozer
Driver

Thanks everyone!

I will be doing it after I eat something when its a little cooler tonight. Hopefully all goes well and I can get the filter off by hand!
Old 08-20-09, 04:15 PM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Welcome to CL, Costco runs the Mobil 1 on sale for 34.00, I always used the Toyota filters, sounds like you love your car, just like most CL members do !!
Old 08-20-09, 06:15 PM
schmoozer
Driver

Well I hope to enter the 300K club one day, and I'm hoping that Mobile 1 is the first step! haha

I finished the oil change tonight, and noticed a slight burning smell, kind of like a candle oddly enough. So we'll see what happens to the level and if there's anything on the ground tomorrow.

Wal Mart was sold out of it too. 5qt bottle for $22. It was the only oil on the shelf that was taken lol. Had to go with Advanced Auto Parts for $30
Old 08-20-09, 07:46 PM
EJC
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 61 Posts

Well I hope to enter the 300K club one day, and I'm hoping that Mobile 1 is the first step! haha

I finished the oil change tonight, and noticed a slight burning smell, kind of like a candle oddly enough. So we'll see what happens to the level and if there's anything on the ground tomorrow.

Wal Mart was sold out of it too. 5qt bottle for $22. It was the only oil on the shelf that was taken lol. Had to go with Advanced Auto Parts for $30
If you make the switch to Synthetic, you might want to do a 2nd oil change after 1000miles. The car has 120Kmiles on it and I believe there was a history of sludge on some Lexus vehicles around that time - probably related to owner maintenance or lack there of then the car. Since you bdon't know what type of build up is in the pan, head or block this might be a good idea to play it safe.