ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Clutch Accumulator - bypass it or not?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-09, 10:25 AM
llcoolpass
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Clutch Accumulator - bypass it or not?

Anyone ever bypass the Accumulator? Results?
Old 05-06-09, 01:12 PM
GEORGE_JET
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Accumulator? I looked up in Alldata, and they have a brief mention of it, but no explaination of where it was hooked up, or what the function is??

I know from installing shift kits in auto trannies you can modify how accumulators respond. Adding a stiffer spring behind the piston will firm up the response. Or adding washers will limit the travel of the piston. Both stratagies are used with auto trans to change the response of the hydralic circuit.

I have never personally seen the acummulator on a manual lexus, and don't even know if it is possible to open it up, ie welded closed or something else. Most vehicles with hydralic clutches do not have a accumulator, removing it will speed up engagement, disengagement of the clutch (more performance oriented). So my quess would be remove it, but that is only a quess.
Old 05-06-09, 07:51 PM
llcoolpass
Lexus Champion

Well, I know many vehicles have them, but I would guess, due to it's function, that mostly nicer cars in general will have them compared to not so nice cars , especially cars with a lot of torque. The 3vz-fe definitely has low RPM torque, and a tall first gear [on all but camry SE, those rare-things that don't seem to exist but on the internet], so my feeling on it is that they tend to put these things on cars with lots of torque so that the driver doesn't hurt the drivetrain, but it's kind of just a basic feel I have, I don't know a ton about them myself other than basic purpose and tendencies in applications.
scale:
Geo Metro .....................Porsche 997
NOT likely ......................Definitely does have it

I was thinking it might make engagement more sporty or predictable or something to remove it, so you clearly see where I was going.

I will show you, this thing is located right before the slave cylidner, radiator side of transmission, to the right [drivers side] of the slave cylinder.

Old 05-06-09, 08:19 PM
GEORGE_JET
Lead Lap

I agree, I think that removing it would give you a better feel (from performance view) of clutch engagement, release. Most of the vehicles that I have worked on did not have them, or I did not notice them. I know if I had a stick that thing would be gone!
Old 05-06-09, 08:26 PM
GEORGE_JET
Lead Lap

ps, where did you find the writeup on this. I still cannot find anything more than a brief mention of this in alldata.
Old 05-06-09, 09:37 PM
Gerson
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldnt even mess unless it fails (never even seen one fail yet) but its a try to see how different it feels w/o it.
Old 05-07-09, 01:29 AM
llcoolpass
Lexus Champion

I think it kind of compensates for certain things so that the parts last longer and the drive feels less irregularities from fingers, bearing roughness, clutch / outputshaft ossillation, so forth. it might be also there to deal with bad driver's [as a sortof safety] shocking the clutch with hard launch or something. or a combo.

you know, I have read so many reviews where people complained of feeling a vibration from the clutch pedal on the VQ35DE cars , e.g. G35 . I'm now compelled to load up my .... dead/non-existant..... uncle's.... copy of the 2005 g35 FSM that I think he downloaded by accident. let you know if it has a accumulator.

I know porshe have it. I know BMW have and that it causes problem for people.

so ive been wondering if it would help on the toy/lex to get rid of it.... but found NNNOOO info no matter how or what I searched.

the picture above is of the 1993 Lexus ES 300 factory service manual.
Old 05-07-09, 11:15 AM
llcoolpass
Lexus Champion

As it turns out, the first gen '03 '04 '05 '06 (V35) infiniti G35 does not have accumulator.