ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Replaced exhaust car doesn't start

Old 04-26-09, 03:32 AM
mogalapr
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GEORGE_JET
Check the connector at the ECM for power,on both incomming power leads. You need to establish communication with the ecm. Or you could just start replacing parts, but that gets expensive
There is power to the ECM but the two meters I tried pop an error message communication failed / operating system not responding.
Old 04-26-09, 06:17 AM
llcoolpass
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well why would takingf the exhaust off do that?

the exhaust is grounded by ground cable on some cars, maybe some weird grond issue.

such a shame mogalaprn..... this is an oddball maybe some kind of discharge of static occured into the O-2 sensor harness. static on people can hang around 5000 volts. and cars more.

maybe a rat ate your harness
Old 04-26-09, 08:11 AM
mogalapr
Driver School Candidate

Took out the ECU. Nothing looks burnt. Ordered used one from a junk yard. Is it simple plug and play or is there an installation procedure? Didn't find any reference.
Old 04-26-09, 11:35 AM
GEORGE_JET
Lead Lap

[QUOTE=mogalapr;4469637]
Originally Posted by GEORGE_JET

The igniter is not receiving any voltage (checked all pins). Should I look at replacing the ECM? What do I need to do - any recalibration?
Ok,,, CHECK voltages! you state there is no voltage on any pin, there should be 12 volts on one of them. You also need to check both voltage supply pins to the ECM. Sounds like there is nothing wrong with the ECM to me. Do you have a schematic?

Last edited by GEORGE_JET; 04-26-09 at 11:41 AM.
Old 04-26-09, 11:46 AM
96Schwarz
Driver School Candidate

There is a fusible link from the EFI relay to the battery. The o2 sensor gets its power from that relay. If the o2 casing shorted the wires, it could very well have blown that fusible link. I have had it happen to me on another vehicle, disconnecting the o2 sensor and replacing the link should get it started.
Old 04-26-09, 11:49 AM
96Schwarz
Driver School Candidate

Check the EFI and MAIN fuses in the drivers side engine compartment fuse block.
Old 04-26-09, 12:09 PM
GEORGE_JET
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 96Schwarz
There is a fusible link from the EFI relay to the battery. The o2 sensor gets its power from that relay. If the o2 casing shorted the wires, it could very well have blown that fusible link. I have had it happen to me on another vehicle, disconnecting the o2 sensor and replacing the link should get it started.
Yes exactly, I have suggested checking voltages, but instead they have ohmed fuses. Not the same thing. We know now that there is no voltage on the ignitor, something is blown, (such as these links).
Old 04-26-09, 01:48 PM
BoostedE21
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mogalapr
There is no arc. The igniter is not receiving any feedback.
Sorry man, I was a little out of it last night, so I missed that you'd already said that. I'll keep thinking and see what I can come up with. I know you're supposed to disconnect the battery before welding on a car, but I've seen exhaust shops regularly weld on cars with the key in the "on" position and the radio playing - so I don't think that's your problem.
Old 04-26-09, 02:08 PM
GEORGE_JET
Lead Lap

I think the key here is that there is no power to the ignitor. The ignitor gets it's power from the same source as the O2 sensor heater. He had problems removing the sensor and now there is no power to the ignitor. So chances are a fuse link supplying this power is blown.
Old 04-26-09, 04:25 PM
mogalapr
Driver School Candidate

Appreciate all of your help so far. I will post some pictures with what I am doing shortly. Is there a place I can find schematics? I don't have any schematics.

George - where can I find that fuse link? I will also check for voltages.

Some other things I noticed if it helps:
Like I said there is no communication to the ECU for error codes using the OBD II meter. Does this connect to our theory of the blown fuse link?

When I turn on the ignition all lights turn "ON" momentarily as a test except the "Check Engine Light". I could almost swear that the "Check Engine Light" turned on momentarily previously to indicate it is working and once the car is running it would go off.

Does these two symptoms provide any additional hints or adding more confusion?
Old 04-26-09, 06:57 PM
llcoolpass
Lexus Champion

fuse is in the box under the hood, check that fuse, that's likely the issue and also might end up checking one more thing after that.

the ecu should be plug 'n play on these cars. someone might know better than I though so look for someone else to back that up.
unlike the little bastard chrysler lh's
probably smart to keep to one thing like federal versus california emissions
Old 04-28-09, 04:13 PM
96Schwarz
Driver School Candidate

How you making out? Update please, at least for the people who take pride in knowing they can diag. cars properly, not only in person but over the computer as well...
Old 04-29-09, 07:56 AM
mogalapr
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 96Schwarz
How you making out? Update please, at least for the people who take pride in knowing they can diag. cars properly, not only in person but over the computer as well...
I couldn't get any thing done yesterday because the person who is lending me support went out of town. I will get on it today again and post and update hopefully with a few pics.

Hopefully I can find this fuse under the hood and that is the problem. I did order an ECU though to be on the safe side. Not planning on installing it without letting you guys know.
Old 04-29-09, 07:58 AM
mogalapr
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by llcoolpass
fuse is in the box under the hood, check that fuse, that's likely the issue and also might end up checking one more thing after that.

the ecu should be plug 'n play on these cars. someone might know better than I though so look for someone else to back that up.
unlike the little bastard chrysler lh's
probably smart to keep to one thing like federal versus california emissions
I know this is pushing but any pics of this fuse so I know I am looking at the right thing.
Old 04-29-09, 10:02 AM
llcoolpass
Lexus Champion

there's a picture on the damned thing lol

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Replaced exhaust car doesn't start