ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

coil pack resistance?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-09, 08:52 AM
mr2gq
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default coil pack resistance?

Doews anyone know the coil pack resistance for testing the coil on a 2000 es300 vvti motor?
Old 03-23-09, 08:33 PM
llcoolpass
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Primary Resistance: 0.2 - 0.8 ohms
Secondary Resistance: around 10 Kohms

I dont have the exact figures[range] for this car, though.

Why are you asking, got a code or something?

Last edited by llcoolpass; 03-23-09 at 08:51 PM.
Old 03-24-09, 12:13 PM
mr2gq
Driver School Candidate

Im pretty sure its not the coil cause they all do the samething but I just did a custom v6 vvti swap to my 1991 mr2 turbo. And when I go to start it if i just turn it over and hold it it wont spark or crank but if I turn it over in short spurts like cranking it overfor like 2 sec turn it off and then back on again it will spark and run for like 2 sec loose the spark and die. Also the spark is orange. But the only codes its giving me is the obvious auto tranny codes for it not being there. It gave me a cam sensor code once and then I swap cam sensor banks to see if the code comes back but on the other side and it didnt. Of course im not sure if im cranking it enough to get all the codes cause the last time i FINALLY got the cam sensor code i had been tryn to crank it all day testing things right before the battery died. Which i have not cranked it that manytimes again. I went ahead and ordered new crank and cam sensors from toyota but also wanted to test figure out the test for the coiles incase of a freaking fluk all 6 are bad which i HIGHLY doubt. Anyway when testing the coil how do you go about doing this is it probing one pin and then touching hte other prob to the spring inside the boot? Cause if it is mine was reading 100 ohms. Thanks for the reply!

Oh heres a vid of what its doing. bare with it the vid clreas up twards the middle
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0I-iIn5T_j8

Last edited by mr2gq; 03-24-09 at 12:21 PM.
Old 03-24-09, 12:23 PM
llcoolpass
Lexus Champion

Maybe the computer is starting using the crank sensor and then once running using the cam sensor.... and then the cam sensor not working out for the computer ....... your post is written very confusing for me. i'm going to have to reread it a few times

EDIT:

OK, I read what you said. believe it or not, I recommended what i just said before reading the rest[after the part about orange spark]. so, it seems even more likely to me that your cam sensor or that area of performance is having an issue. check plug, sensor, ecu plug for signal and if possible see if there is a code for the cam sensor. I dont remember if this engine does, but many v6 use a crank sensor for starting and a cam sensor after he engine starts.... and a few can use the crank sensor in an emergency way if the cam sensor circuit is malfunction[whether due to bad sensor, plug, wire issue, etc].
if the cops were bad, you would have misfire codes or codes indicative otherwise ....usually...

The coils all being bad is possible. maybe the previous owner of the v6 engine you put in your 4cyl mr2 didn't take care of it?

Anyway, one thing at a time. it makes it easier to diagnose and help you .....

you should be able to pull the cop out and ohm it out using two of the terminals... which are which you need manual for ... duh! lol try it out in different combos and see what resistance you get... i could figure it out if i were doing it so just check them all out. one would be nothing [the secondary and primary terminals' ohm reading], and the primary should be around .5 ohms and the secondary should be somewhere around 10,000 ohms [10 Kohms]. the temperature affects the reading, hence why there is an acceptable range.

Last edited by llcoolpass; 03-24-09 at 12:35 PM.
Old 03-24-09, 12:43 PM
mr2gq
Driver School Candidate

Yes the spark plug had a wire tied around it and bolted to teh chassis for a ground. But as you can see the car cranks up right when the plug starts to fire. And they are all brand new plugs. Ive herd the cam sensor will also make it not spark but i really dont know. The motor I got from a junk yard with only 90K miles on it and it looked so clean like it almost come off the assymbaly line lol. I probed to the coil backs while turning hte car over and they are hold a constant 11Volts to the coil packs so the power to them is not cutting off and on. But yeha if i had a book on it i wouldnt be on here asking what the resistance spec is supposed to be lol
Old 03-24-09, 07:02 PM
llcoolpass
Lexus Champion

dude you make it sound like your video is super clear... that's one of the worst quality videos I have ever seen.

did you check for codes and did you check out the cam and crank sensors yet? let me know....
Old 03-25-09, 04:21 AM
mr2gq
Driver School Candidate

damn dude are you even reading my post? I said it gave me the usual codes for not having the auto tranny hooked up. It gave me a CAM sensor code . So I swaped the cam sensor from each bank around to see if the code would switch sides and it has not come back
Old 03-25-09, 09:37 AM
llcoolpass
Lexus Champion

that's good. weird that the sensor worked just fine on a different bank.... seems like you might have dirty connector