ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

es300 struts/suspension/ NOISE! please help

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-13, 05:14 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

I just had this diagnosed FINALLY, a few weeks back with my mechanic after hours. We took bungee cords, tie downs, etc to various components in the back end to see what is making the loose sound. To me it almost sounded like a loose sway bar smacking against the under body.

Turns out it's the parking brakes... I'll be gutting mine in a few weeks time when its time to switch over to winter tires. I don't use them, and the noise they make pisses me off.

I've never serviced them nor will I.

If you want to determine whether its the parking brakes, I suggest going down a road that's a little worse with bumps/potholes and as you're driving over some bumps, you should hear the noise, and once you engage the brake ever so slightly, you'll fin the noise goes away going over the same bumps.

I couldn't believe it when my mech. showed me [I was in the car].
The following users liked this post:
94ES300BY (06-28-17)
Old 11-13-13, 08:23 AM
Avory
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pretty cool to have that diagnosis...would never have considered that! Must remember....
Old 11-15-13, 05:36 PM
Quang12345
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Suspension noise found.

Same noise. Replaced mount (Kgy?) and it was fixed a week later I hear the noise again. I new it has to do with the mount. Before I installed the assembly together I marked where the strut go on to the mount and after I tight the big nut I mark it as well. so what I did after hearing the noise again. I looked at the nut and strud it was still lined up where it was before. Open the hood and I push on top of the mount of the strut and let it bounce it up and down. I can hear the little clap. So tight it a little more and the little clap was gone. Tested drive for the whole week no more noise. I guess the way mount design you can not tight it to tight, or the rubber deformed or tear off. Next time if it loose again I will use thread lock, but I also concern the rubber mount may deformed and loose again. i may not be able to tight up. Sorry for my English.
Old 11-15-13, 07:14 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by Quang12345
Same noise. Replaced mount (Kgy?) and it was fixed a week later I hear the noise again. I new it has to do with the mount. Before I installed the assembly together I marked where the strut go on to the mount and after I tight the big nut I mark it as well. so what I did after hearing the noise again. I looked at the nut and strud it was still lined up where it was before. Open the hood and I push on top of the mount of the strut and let it bounce it up and down. I can hear the little clap. So tight it a little more and the little clap was gone. Tested drive for the whole week no more noise. I guess the way mount design you can not tight it to tight, or the rubber deformed or tear off. Next time if it loose again I will use thread lock, but I also concern the rubber mount may deformed and loose again. i may not be able to tight up. Sorry for my English.
That is the best paragraph I've ever read on the internet. No offense, but what is your native tongue?
Old 01-09-14, 06:52 AM
Soasnavas
Driver School Candidate

I have been told that not using the OEM strut mounts are the problem. I have replaced every single suspension part on the car front and rear. KYB struts , KYB mounts, sway bar links , sway bar bushings, all arms on rear 6 all together! 4 horizontal and 2 lateral. I also replaced the trailing arm bushing on the rear knuckle which solved my rear clunking! Start with this its cheap and cake to replace. The issue was that with this bushing being worn , it caused play on the rear vertical trailing arm. Even if it doesn't look worn replace it ! It did wonders for noise in the rear. Of course I only discovered this after throwing thousands into car! I am still not happy with the ride in the front and will try the OEM toyota mounts and report back. Car is still way to stiff on bumps and does not feel right. No absorption on bumps at high speeds. No clunks however feels like car is going to blow up when I hit bump. Way too stiff! Any suggestions?? I have done everything but heard toyota redesigned mounts for this issue.I also replaced the ball joints and the outer tie rods! What is left??

Last edited by Soasnavas; 01-09-14 at 06:58 AM.
Old 05-14-15, 12:44 PM
Jeepero13
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up Useful info thx

Originally Posted by kakarot
This is to everyone here hope this will help alot of Lexus owner I'm having the same issue as everyone here I did my rear strut and still having the same noise, I'm in MN and it freaking cold so I could not fix my issue due to cold weather. I will fix it in the spring according to this PDF file so if someone fixed it using this method please let us know if it fixed your problem.
Thanks for your help , this noise was driving me crazy
Old 08-05-15, 10:55 AM
westopill
Intermediate

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Here is a noise diagnosis list that I got printed off at an auto parts store to help people out.

Old 06-28-17, 11:51 AM
94ES300BY
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 01LEXPL
I just had this diagnosed FINALLY, a few weeks back with my mechanic after hours. We took bungee cords, tie downs, etc to various components in the back end to see what is making the loose sound. To me it almost sounded like a loose sway bar smacking against the under body.

Turns out it's the parking brakes... I'll be gutting mine in a few weeks time when its time to switch over to winter tires. I don't use them, and the noise they make pisses me off.

I've never serviced them nor will I.

If you want to determine whether its the parking brakes, I suggest going down a road that's a little worse with bumps/potholes and as you're driving over some bumps, you should hear the noise, and once you engage the brake ever so slightly, you'll fin the noise goes away going over the same bumps.

I couldn't believe it when my mech. showed me [I was in the car].
Just wonder if you resolved the noise issues after fixing the parking brakes and how you fixed the parking brakes.

My 94 ES300 recently makes annoying clunking noises from the rear passenger wheel area, and as you described the noises would be down or gone when I brake. The noises are also worse in the cold morning and less in the hot afternoon. It also gets quieter when driving along curved ramps onto freeways, especially on right turn curves.

Thank you for your time.
Old 07-29-17, 09:54 PM
94ES300BY
Driver School Candidate

Default Replaced the strut assembly

Originally Posted by 94ES300BY
Just wonder if you resolved the noise issues after fixing the parking brakes and how you fixed the parking brakes.

My 94 ES300 recently makes annoying clunking noises from the rear passenger wheel area, and as you described the noises would be down or gone when I brake. The noises are also worse in the cold morning and less in the hot afternoon. It also gets quieter when driving along curved ramps onto freeways, especially on right turn curves.

Thank you for your time.

Bought a complete set on eBay less than $55 and spent a few hours replacing the old one. Noises sounded gone and it seemed nothing to do with the brakes.