ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

restored my headlights - 93 es300

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-08, 04:45 AM
Krazzyyo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb restored my headlights - 93 es300

I just purchased an es300 and the original paint is in good condition. So are the wheels. Even with a clean car, foggy/hazy headlights pretty much kill everything. So i decided to restore my headlights. Well i already purchased a pair in great condition before i came up with an idea. I've tried restoring tailights and head lights on previous cars. I used the sandpaper route only on badly pitted lens and followed up with rubbing compound. I also used various clear plastic polishes too. On the heavier oxidized lens, the polish would not remove the heavier oxidation. The results were good initially, but what happens is it will get foggy again in a few weeks or more. I also read that using abrasives strip away some of the UV protectant layer the lens are coated with. I never knew that..so now i wont use sandpaper. Some people spay a layer of clear coat on the lens that might work to prevent the fogginess to come back after using abrasives. I've seen products that restore lens by just cleaning away the oxidation and will not strip away the protective layer. The prices range from $20 to $100 or more for a small bottle. I havent heard from anyne using the expensive brands, but the cheaper brands did not work too well. So i had an idea and tried the meguiars Paint Cleaner Step One. The description of the cleans states that it cleans haze, oxidation, and surface contamination from your cars paint. It mentions it contains no abrasives. The meguiars plastic polish/cleaner contains "micro abrasive technology" so i didnt use it this time. Well i spent less than 5 mins per headlight. All I can say is this stuff works and it works very well. I dont have pictures up, but , but very clear lens. I was stupid and didnt take a before picture...you can just imagine lens so cloudy that you can barely see the 2 projectors inside..i'm sure you guy know how cloudy the lens can get. The oxidation was so heavy, i thought it would take a while , but the paint cleaner really cut through and cleaned up the haze. I will take a picture whe I ahve the chance of what they look like..just imagine new head lights with normal pitts and small chips from pebbles...no haze left. Also the oxidation made the headlights look yellowish...now its clear..the yellowish tint is all gone. So before i can say how good this really works i will wait a few weeks and see if it gets cloudy again or not since it didnt take too long to the restored lens to fog up again using the techniques i used to. Just thought I might share something to help you guys out.
Old 05-17-08, 11:20 AM
eyezack87
Camry ConeKiller

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great tip man, I've always used ScratchX before I got my porter cable
Old 05-18-08, 12:02 AM
eroc75
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So far, on my 94, scotch brite and a tiny bit of goo gone.. followed by some windex. Clear as I could hope for. Put the Silverstars in it... along with those factory yellow fogs, coolest thing bout my ride are the front lights. HAHa.. lame. Gotta lower and get some Toyota 17s or 18s../
Old 05-18-08, 01:24 PM
madmax98
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

So, is there something that we can use to protect the headlights froom the sun, a UV protectant, especially after using all the stuff you mentioned, sandpapers, abrasives.......etc
Old 05-18-08, 06:38 PM
eyezack87
Camry ConeKiller

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use NXT 2.0 to protect it. So far so good and no yellowing but I don't go too aggressive anyway so yeah