ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

What controls how fast the turn signal?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-08, 08:24 PM
ahabion
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What controls how fast the turn signal?

Just like the topic... what determines how fast the turn signal/blinker goes off and on???

My problem is, when I indicate right, it blinks very fast... about every half second... when turning left, it indicates as normall... very moderate, monotone pace... So again, my question is, what determines the speed of the turn signal? is it the module on the steering column? or is it the cpu?
Old 01-29-08, 08:30 PM
justfixit
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You probably have a burnt bulb causing rapid flash. Most likely the front turn signal bulb.
Old 01-29-08, 08:55 PM
esucaris1
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by justfixit
You probably have a burnt bulb causing rapid flash. Most likely the front turn signal bulb.
Ditto, burnt bulb front or rear
Old 02-01-08, 11:14 AM
llcoolpass
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To answer your question, the relay
Old 02-01-08, 02:28 PM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ahabion
Just like the topic... what determines how fast the turn signal/blinker goes off and on???

My problem is, when I indicate right, it blinks very fast... about every half second... when turning left, it indicates as normall... very moderate, monotone pace... So again, my question is, what determines the speed of the turn signal? is it the module on the steering column? or is it the cpu?
The flasher on/off frequency is determined by the electrical resistance in the circuit. If this resistance is more than designed, the flasher will blink slower. A burned out bulb causes a lower resistance, therefore the flasher will blink faster. Also, sometimes an added resistance is caused by oxidation in the bulb sockets. Make sure the proper type bulbs are used in all the sockets.
Old 02-01-08, 03:23 PM
JSM1284
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by amf1932
The flasher on/off frequency is determined by the electrical resistance in the circuit. If this resistance is more than designed, the flasher will blink slower. A burned out bulb causes a lower resistance, therefore the flasher will blink faster. Also, sometimes an added resistance is caused by oxidation in the bulb sockets. Make sure the proper type bulbs are used in all the sockets.

Actually, You have that backwards. In the case of a burnt out bulb, the resistance is increased, Thus causing the other light to blink faster. The Flasher is basically a thermal relay, When it is engaged, the resistance causes heat, with bends the contact in the relay, thus turning off the light, once it cools down, it bends back to close the circuit and turn the light on. This happens over and over causing the light to blink.
Old 02-01-08, 06:54 PM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by JSM1284
Actually, You have that backwards. In the case of a burnt out bulb, the resistance is increased, Thus causing the other light to blink faster. The Flasher is basically a thermal relay, When it is engaged, the resistance causes heat, with bends the contact in the relay, thus turning off the light, once it cools down, it bends back to close the circuit and turn the light on. This happens over and over causing the light to blink.
Doesn't the filament in each bulb have a certain degree of resistance? If a bulb is burned out than there is less resistance in the circuit, and thus the flasher works faster. So that's why you have it backwards!
Try taking a bulb out and you'll see the flasher now works at a much faster speed.
Old 02-02-08, 01:23 PM
onepointon
Intermediate

Received 150 Likes on 49 Posts

No, JSM1284 is correct. When you have a burnt out bulb, you have increased resistance. That part of the parallel circut is 'open' because the filament is gone (high resistance) which causes other bulb to get all of the power. Because of this, the remaining circut has more current in it, thus causing the thermal relay to work faster since it heats up faster.

The bulb does have resistance, but you have confused the way it goes. If you were to jump the wires across the terminals of the bulb so that you bypass the bulb, the light will go out and you have less resistance in that circut. Since the bulb is burnt out, it has created an open in the circut, which means high resistance. Its essentially just the same as removing the bulb from the circut all together. You could remove the bulb in your ES350 and try your turn signals and you will get the same effect.

Open = high resistance.
Short = Low resistance.

Its been awhile, I had to think about that one.

Last edited by onepointon; 02-02-08 at 01:29 PM.
Old 02-02-08, 03:57 PM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Read this, maybe it'll explain it better> http://www.knology.net/~rkmason/flashers.htm
Old 02-02-08, 06:18 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

just replace the bulb problem fixed
Old 02-02-08, 07:19 PM
AlleyKat
Pole Position

^ yup end of story
Old 02-02-08, 07:34 PM
CUMan
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It may in fact be a bad bulb causing the rapid blinking, but this same issue has been discussed numerous times in this forum; and, more often than not, the problem has proven to be corrosion in the bulb socket and not a bad bulb.

I have gone through this problem several times with my 94 ES. I have replaced bulbs, and the fast blinking continued. The solution was to remove the front bulb holders, clean the contact points on the perimeter of the bulb socket (sandpaper, perhaps), clean the contact points on the car body that the bulb socket fits into, and replace the bulb socket. This has always fixed the problem.

When you remove the bulb socket from the car body, you will note that the connection to the car's electrical system is a printed circuit. I think this is where the problem lies. This circuit is open to moisture and dirt. Corrosion eventually forms and changes the resistance in the circuit.

This corrosion problem only happens in the front. The rear bulbs are connected with wired bulbholders.
Old 02-02-08, 08:26 PM
llcoolpass
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

CUMan is definetely right, my drivers side headlight assmebly had to be removed by me 10 times until magically it was just right and it would work proper.it would either be corener light ok or the blinker would be ok, it took a magic touch to make them both work when all was reassembled.
thats why its not right to just say light bulb when really its the circuit-- could be light relay or something in between, cu man you are right on, im glad im not saying this by myself since i get such fierce argument from people
i didn't know it was common on these cars though! that makes me feel better : >
Old 02-03-08, 10:03 AM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by JSM1284
You guys that said this were correct, and I was wrong. I assumed that this was a series circuit.
Old 07-26-12, 01:20 PM
lostLAOguy
Driver School Candidate

Now if i want it to blink faster withoit removing the bulb....how do i go abouts doing that?

Quick Reply: What controls how fast the turn signal?