ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

cam shaft seals

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-08, 06:07 PM
aaron30
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cam shaft seals

Anyone ever replace their cam shaft seals, do you need to remove the valve cover ? are there any special tools needed?

Thanks
Old 02-17-08, 03:19 PM
Preppy1
Driver School Candidate

I have the exact same question, I need to replace My Cam shaft Seals behind the cam gears. Does anyone one have a file, or diagram they could post to help us out?
Old 02-17-08, 05:07 PM
llcoolpass
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm pretty sure you remove the valve cover. And while you're at it, you replace any and all valve cover gaskets unless it/they are VERY new. Replace the spark plug hole gasket things if you have them. By doing all, you will prevent oil leaks.

Old 02-22-08, 02:09 PM
msa13623
Driver School Candidate

I was in the dealer today asking about valve cover gasket replacement, and figured I'd do the cam seals at the same time. He said they typically do those as part of a timing belt/waterpump workup. I just had my timing belt done 10k miles ago and if I'd have known my valve cover gaskets were so bad I'd have had them done at the same time.
Old 02-22-08, 08:42 PM
lxgs4
Driver

you don't need to remove the valve covers to replace the cam seals. All you need to do is remove the cam gears and the backing plate to get to them. While you are at it and haven't replaced your water pump it should be a good time since you have everything out already.
Old 03-16-08, 12:25 PM
Trucker06
Driver School Candidate

Default Yes you do remove valve cover

The valve cover has to come off to get to the seals. May have to take the timing cover off too so you have more access to it. I just got done doing all this stuff. You'll probably want to get both new valve cover gaskets, some high temp RTV is used with the gaskets on 6 points on the head. Make sure you get the caps torqued to specs too! I think its 29 ft pounds but be sure to do your own research on that. May want to get a new end cap too. It's about $11 at the dealership. Put a little RTV around the end cap before you put the valve cover back on etc. It's pretty easy to do. Also the spark plug tube gasket/seals (3 on each valve cover) are a ***** to get off. Kind of have to dig a flat head screwdriver into the edge of the seal and slow bend it or cave it in. They come out easy that way. It will be a tight fit when putting the valve covers back on because the new spark plug tube seals are...new. Supposed to be a tight fit. Just get them started and use the screws to tighted pull the valve cover down till its on good and tight. Not too tight though but enough where the valve cover gasket is squeezed pretty damn tight. Tighten the bolts as uniformly as you can. The back valve cover is a ***** to get to and so are the spark plugs in the back so while you're doing this change the spark plugs too. It's a good opportunity to do so while you have the intake off and all. And no you don't need to take the cam gears off for god's sake. That would be alot of work you don't need to do. If I remember right cam pulleys might need to come off. Thats the only way to get the seal to go on the cam. But then that creates a whole hell of alot of work with the timing belt. Believe me don't mess up and forget where the teeth go on the cam. Mark the timing belt and everything so you know exactly how the belt was on. If you don't and the belts slips off and then manages to slip a tooth or so on the crank then it's a nightmare. just be careful when doing this. If you are not mechanically inclined don't attempt to replace the seal. It's almost better to just pay to have it done professionally. Compared to the work that could be involved and problems you might run into the cost of having it done will start to look good. Hope this helped

Last edited by Trucker06; 03-16-08 at 12:45 PM.
Old 03-18-08, 10:10 AM
llcoolpass
Lexus Champion

by caps are you referring to the camshaft bearing caps?