ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

DEAD EASY! Changing Foglights 97-99 + More!

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-08, 08:53 PM
Infin1ty
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LEX ES300
Hi Infin1ty,

Glad you could use the DIY's. Unfortunately I don't have a DIY on the rubber weather stripping pieces around the doors/pillars. As with yours, my drivers side one is looking a bit tired and I haven't tried to replace it yet. I have found that sometimes the best way is to fix something is to buy the part (which you need anyway) and then look at it to see how it would fit on. If that fails at least you have the part already, and if it looks too hard you can always just take it to the mechanics!

Everyone, don't keep the info to yourself - submit those DIY's!

LEX ES300
Thanks for the update man. I'll trying picking up the parts here asap, and see if I can do my own DIY for it . Then we wont have this problem anymore!
Old 05-28-09, 06:27 AM
fju2112
Driver

this is great, going to be using this in the next few weeks.

I'm assuming the high and low beam bulbs are just as easy to get to once you have the fog lamp and side marker housings taken out? They seem a bit tough to reach when reaching under the hood...?
Old 05-28-09, 02:19 PM
QuachmanES
Lead Lap

You don't need to take out the housings out to access the high/low beams. They might be a bit of a reach, but you don't need to take anything out to replace those. Should be a simple 5 minute job.
Old 05-28-09, 02:24 PM
fju2112
Driver

Maybe it's my big hands but there's not a lot of room to move around - and while I have the housing out to replace the fogs and directionals, I may as well replace the low and high beams. So if someone has used that method pls post?
Old 05-28-09, 03:59 PM
DixonPai
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

yea big hands mean no good for the battery side its so hard for me, I don't really have bid hands either but they are fat hands ahahah but the high beams should be ease of reach
Old 05-29-09, 04:56 AM
MrGalione9
Rookie

Default Splash Guard

[QUOTE=LEX ES300;3152530]Hi everyone,

Finally, I am going to share with you my ULTIMATE SECRET for changing fog light globes/bulbs on a 97-99 ES. IT IS DEAD EASY!! I have seen many members on the site become frustrated at changing the globes in their fog lights but it is so easy I want everyone to know how to do it. YOU DON'T HAVE TO MESS AROUND JACKING THE CAR UP, GETTING UNDER THE CAR OR REMOVING PARTS UNDERNEATH!

I have spent a lot of time on this write-up to help others, so comments are welcome!!

Before we start PLEASE NOTE:

This is for 97-99 ES models. It may work on other ES years but I'm not sure as I only own a 97 model. Also, I have an Australian Spec ES, but I'm pretty sure this will work on ES's of the same year.

I accept no responsibility for any loss, damage or injury you may cause if you try this. This is how I change the globes and it works like magic for me. This is my information only.

First of all, pop the bonnet/hood and you will see the black plastic splash guard on top of the headlights and signal lights. You need to remove the Guard (or at least the first end section of it): WE WILL BE ACCESSING THE FOG LIGHTS FROM THE TOP.

The guard is held in by a series of small plastic plugs that you need to remove.

It’s important to note that while the plugs look like one complete piece they are in fact TWO pieces. YOU NEED TO REMOVE THE TOP PIECE FIRST. This can be quite difficult the first time, but once you know that they are two pieces it’s easy. You need to prise the pieces apart by prising from the top section NOT at the bottom. Don’t try to use screwdriver it is too thick. You need something fine to find the join. I use a sharp blade, but it works just as well by using some fine thread or fishing line to floss around and find the join. If you chose to use a blade - BE VERY CAREFUL. You will see in this next pic

NOTE! I’m not actually cutting anything, just using the blade to find the join.

Separate and remove the top cap piece. – You can see how fine the cap is and how it would look like one piece when pressed together.

QUOTE]

your spalsh guard, is it on the 97 3rd gen or only on the 2000+ es300??
Old 09-27-09, 09:38 PM
4rings
Driver School Candidate

do the 2000-01 ES Xenon headlights have manual adjusters? cause if i put them in my 97 es they wont have autolevel... thanks!
Old 10-06-09, 04:36 AM
LEX ES300
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

QUOTE]

your spalsh guard, is it on the 97 3rd gen or only on the 2000+ es300??

Hi Mr Glaione

Mine is a 97 3rd Gen.

LEX ES 300
Old 10-06-09, 06:50 AM
abobiznow
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

since i saw this bumped might as well thank the threadmaker. i'm pretty clueless when it comes to hands on stuff but this DIY and another one completely aided me when trying to install my HIDsetup.

thank you so much. i was worried i was oging to have lift the car and change the foglight from underneath. thanks again.
Old 10-07-09, 05:09 AM
LEX ES300
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by abobiznow
since i saw this bumped might as well thank the threadmaker. i'm pretty clueless when it comes to hands on stuff but this DIY and another one completely aided me when trying to install my HIDsetup.

thank you so much. i was worried i was oging to have lift the car and change the foglight from underneath. thanks again.
Hi abobiznow,

Thanks for taking the time to leave some feedback! It's great to hear that my DIY write up was able to help you.

CL members, if you have your own DIY, don't hide it, grab a camera and take some pics and let's keep helping each other out! The more we DIY, the more $$$ we can save!

LEX ES300
Old 01-19-11, 06:41 AM
download
Rookie

Thanks LEX ES300,

Just join here with 98 ES300,
From the day I got it, both foglight had no light come out.
After taking out the foglight as your post, both bulbs are still OK!?
Just no power go into the foglight. Checking all fuse are ok too.
Any hints what the problems will be?
Thanks

Last edited by download; 01-19-11 at 06:44 AM.
Old 01-19-11, 08:00 AM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

^^ did you check the stalk to see if the foglights are in the 'on' position?

Also, the fogs only work in mode '3' on the stalk, so your lowbeams, corners and well, fogs should be on with the tails.

Position one - is drl - nothing else
position two - is drl, corners & rear.
position three -above.
Old 01-20-11, 06:43 AM
download
Rookie

Thanks 01LEXPL,
Did not check with the stalk.
All the fogs work ok now.
Old 01-20-11, 08:46 PM
yeskay
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

abobiznow:
can you share the link to the HID diy. do you happen to have the part number. i have a 99 es. can i just change the bulb alone.
Old 01-21-11, 01:13 AM
xsh0tya
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great write up!!! This is going to be a HUGE help to me when I change my fogs once the weather gets a lil warmer. Thanks again your awesome!

Quick Reply: DEAD EASY! Changing Foglights 97-99 + More!