ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

New Key Wont Start!

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-07, 10:18 PM
rhwest2008
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Key Wont Start!

I have 1995 ES300- The key opens doors and turns ignition but wont start. The 2 front doors will not open? but will unlock. I have to open door from the inside. I got key from recomended web site. Any suggestions?
Old 08-13-07, 10:44 PM
esucaris1
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like you may have more than 1 problem if your doors open from the inside you may have popped the rod off the outer door handle... as far as starting can you be more specific does it turn over but not start??? I have read here somwhere how to program a new key if i find it I will post a link...
Old 08-13-07, 10:49 PM
esucaris1
Lead Lap

Remote Keyless Entry Programming Procedure
(Customer Program Method)

1. Sit in the driver's seat and lock all the doors.
2. Unlock and open the driver's door.
3. Insert the key into the ignition and remove it (don't turn it...just remove it).
4. Using the MANUAL lock switch on the driver's door, lock and unlock the door 5 times.
5. Close the door.
6. Open the door.
7. Lock and unlock the driver's door 5 times (with the power switch).
8. Insert the key into the ignition and turn it to the "ON" position.
9. Remove the key.
10.The driver's door will now lock and unlock itself one time.
11.Press and hold the "LOCK" button on the key fob for at least 1 second.
12.Close the driver's door.
13.Open the driver's door.
14.Press and hold the "LOCK" button on the key fob for at least one second.
15.Close the driver's door.
16.Press and hold the "LOCK" button on the key fob. The door will lock.
17.Press and hold the "LOCK" button on the key fob again. The door will unlock.
Old 08-14-07, 05:03 AM
LEX ES300
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by rhwest2008
I have 1995 ES300- The key opens doors and turns ignition but wont start. The 2 front doors will not open? but will unlock. I have to open door from the inside. I got key from recomended web site. Any suggestions?
Hi,

I have a 97 Es300 and I'm not sure if it's the same on your year, but I have a factory security chip embedded in the actual key - it is totally sealed in the key head and you can't even tell its there. This is in addition to the remote control) When the factory key is put in the ignition the chip then sends a coded signal to the engine imobiliser and allows the engine to start. On my model, if you just get a key cut from anywhere then sure, it will open the door and fit in the ignition but the engine won't start because there is no chip in the key!!! I have a flashing red security light near the ignition key hole. When the original key with the chip is put into the ignition the red security light goes out signalling that you can start the car.

As I said, I'm not sure if it's the same for the '95's but this could be why you can't start the car.

LEX ES 300
Old 08-14-07, 11:21 AM
rg_gibson
Driver

Originally Posted by LEX ES300
Hi,

I have a 97 Es300 and I'm not sure if it's the same on your year, but I have a factory security chip embedded in the actual key - it is totally sealed in the key head and you can't even tell its there. This is in addition to the remote control) When the factory key is put in the ignition the chip then sends a coded signal to the engine imobiliser and allows the engine to start. On my model, if you just get a key cut from anywhere then sure, it will open the door and fit in the ignition but the engine won't start because there is no chip in the key!!! I have a flashing red security light near the ignition key hole. When the original key with the chip is put into the ignition the red security light goes out signalling that you can start the car.

As I said, I'm not sure if it's the same for the '95's but this could be why you can't start the car.

LEX ES 300
No, it's not the same for the 95 because Lexus didn't start to use chips inside the key heads until the 3rd generation ES. So your ignition problem is definitely not because of a chip inside your key. Where did you get your key cut?
Old 08-14-07, 12:16 PM
rhwest2008
Driver School Candidate

The key for this year does not have a chip in it- the key turns ignition but does not start- I am able to turn on lights open windows ect. Today I put in a new battery and still does not start?
Old 08-14-07, 09:28 PM
esucaris1
Lead Lap

Sounds to me like he is saying that the engine isn't turning over? therfore not starting
Old 08-14-07, 09:34 PM
Choas
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wait i have a 97 and my fob is separate and I don't think I have a chip
Old 08-15-07, 02:04 AM
LEX ES300
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by rhwest2008
The key for this year does not have a chip in it- the key turns ignition but does not start- I am able to turn on lights open windows ect. Today I put in a new battery and still does not start?
You said originally that you have bought a new key. Do you still have an old key that starts the engine? (I'm guessing that you don't).

If you can't start it with the original key or the new key, then I would be getting a mechanic to look at the engine/ mechanical side of things rather than the key itself or the factory security system.

Hope this helps.

LEX ES300
Old 08-16-07, 06:13 PM
rg_gibson
Driver

Originally Posted by LEX ES300
You said originally that you have bought a new key. Do you still have an old key that starts the engine? (I'm guessing that you don't).

If you can't start it with the original key or the new key, then I would be getting a mechanic to look at the engine/ mechanical side of things rather than the key itself or the factory security system.

Hope this helps.

LEX ES300
Yeah, it definitely sounds like something mechanical to me also