ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

What is HID....

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-07, 07:07 PM
jonb91101
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What is HID....

I got some kind of blue "xeon" head lights for my es but i keep seeing this HID stuff... and i was looking through some threads and also read that you will have to cut ....blah blah bla... to make the HID to fit so i was wondering if it is like a special kind of light kit or something because i have no idea... .. thanks
Old 06-13-07, 11:31 PM
LXMN
Lexus Test Driver

"HID" is an acronym for "High Intensity Discharge".
Old 06-14-07, 03:30 AM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

HID light sources (Xenon and Bi-Xenon)

HID stands for high-intensity discharge, the technical term for the electric arc that produces the light. Automotive HID lamps are commonly called 'xenon headlamps', because of the xenon gas used in the lamps. The xenon gas allows the lamps to produce minimally adequate amounts of light immediately upon startup and speed the warmup time. If argon were used instead, as is commonly done in street and other stationary HID lamps, it would take several minutes for the lamps to reach their full output. HID headlamps use a small, purpose-designed metal halide lamp which produces more light than ordinary tungsten and tungsten-halogen bulbs. The light from HID headlamps has a distinct bluish tint when compared with tungsten-filament headlamps. The high intensity of the arc comes from metallic salts that are vapourised within the arc chamber.
HID headlamp bulbs produce between 2,800 and 3,000 lumens from 42 watts of electrical power, while halogen filament headlamp bulbs produce between 700 and 2,100 lumens from between 40 and 65 watts. Because of the increased amounts of light available from HID bulbs, HID headlamps producing a given beam pattern can be made smaller than halogen headlamps producing a comparable beam pattern. Alternatively, the larger size can be retained, in which case the Xenon headlamp can produce a more robust beam pattern.
HID headlamp bulbs do not run on low-voltage DC current, so they require a ballast with either an internal or external ignitor. The ballast controls the current to the bulb. When the headlamps are switched on, the ignitor provides rapidly pulsed current at several thousand volts to initiate the arc between the electrodes within the bulb. Once the arc is started, its heat begins to vapourise the metallic salts within the arc chamber, and the ballast gradually transitions from startup operation to arc-maintenance operation. Once the arc is completely stabilised, the ballast provides 85v in conventional D1 and D2 systems, or 42v with Mercury-free D3 and D4 systems.
Despite marketing claims to the contrary, HID headlamps' light output is not similar to daylight. The spectral power distribution (SPD) of an automotive HID headlamp is discontinuous, while the SPD of a filament lamp, like that of the sun, is a continuous curve.
The arc within an HID headlamp bulb generates considerable short-wave ultraviolet (UV) light, but none of it escapes the bulb. A UV-absorbing hard glass shield is incorporated around the bulb's arc tube. This is important to prevent degradation of UV-sensitive components and materials in headlamps, such as polycarbonate lenses and reflector hardcoats. The lamps do emit considerable near-UV light.
European vehicles equipped with HID headlamps are required by ECE regulation 48 also to be equipped with headlamp lens cleaning systems and automatic beam levelling control. Both of these measures are intended to reduce the tendency for high-output headlamps to cause high levels of glare to other road users.
HID headlamp bulb types D1R, D1S, D2R, D2S and 9500 contain the toxic heavy metal mercury. The disposal of mercury-containing vehicle parts is increasingly regulated throughout the world, for example under US EPA regulations. Newer HID bulb designs D3R, D3S, D4R, and D4S contain no mercury, but are not electrically or physically compatible with headlamps designed for previous bulb types.
The arc light source in an HID headlamp is fundamentally different from the filament light source used in tungsten/halogen headlamps. For that reason, HID-specific optics are used to collect and distribute the light. Installing HID bulbs in headlamps designed to take filament bulbs results in improperly-focused beam patterns and excessive glare, and is therefore illegal in almost all countries.
Old 06-14-07, 09:49 AM
jonb91101
Driver School Candidate

WOW.... thanks a bunch.... that clears up a lot... so if i understand correctly... you can't put HID lamps into like my stock ES300 headlights?.. and if i do then they are illegal and i could potentially let "UV" rays out or something... or will it melt the plastic... i am sorry for sounding like such a noob....
Old 06-14-07, 11:29 AM
Slooooooow
Regional Officer - NTL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb

There are examples of HID "retrofits" in this ES forum. Using the search feature for "HID retrofit"
  • I found one where LXMN put TSX HIDs in his 2nd gen ES.
  • I found one where ChrisES put E46s in his 3rd gen ES.
  • Swifty has a wealth of HID goodness going on here
In addition to liberal use of the forum's search feature, THE place to go to learn EVERYTHING about HID application for automobiles is here in the HIDPlanet.com forums. All the guys on our board who've excelled in HID implementation started here and recommend it.

There is also a lighting forum on ClubLexus here.

Welcome to the site!

Originally Posted by jonb91101
WOW.... thanks a bunch.... that clears up a lot... so if i understand correctly... you can't put HID lamps into like my stock ES300 headlights?.. and if i do then they are illegal and i could potentially let "UV" rays out or something... or will it melt the plastic... i am sorry for sounding like such a noob....