ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

1st Serious Mod Time - Suspension Rennovation

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-09, 04:46 PM
Slooooooow
Regional Officer - NTL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

And now...I'm staring across the living room at a box full of Ksport coilovers.
And not just ANY coilovers. They're the coils that once resided on one of my benchmarks - 3rdelement's ES.

MWAHAHAHAHA!
  1. Gotta repair the rears with new struts.
  2. Then the install.
  3. I shall rid myself of any remaining forward rake
More to come...
Old 01-31-09, 08:03 PM
Matador
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When do you want to install?
Old 01-31-09, 08:09 PM
Slooooooow
Regional Officer - NTL

Talking

Immediately if not sooner.
Old 01-31-09, 09:20 PM
charley240
Lexus Test Driver

lol. have fun. youll need 2 17mm 2 22mm 14mm and a 10mm if i remember correctly. or you may or may not need the second set of 17 and 22mm if your knuckle bolts dont spin. use a breaker bar, and torque wrench.
gl
Charley
Old 02-12-09, 04:17 PM
3rdelement
Lexus Champion

bump. good luck. enjoy the drop

Old 02-12-09, 07:56 PM
Slooooooow
Regional Officer - NTL

Talking

Originally Posted by 3rdelement
bump. good luck. enjoy the drop

Thanks, bro! That picture is the goal for my stance! Gorgeous!
Old 02-15-09, 10:38 PM
Slooooooow
Regional Officer - NTL

Thumbs up

And.....installed.
(KSport COs, iRotor rotors, Goodridge stainless steel brake lines, brake system flush and bleed)

Old 02-16-09, 09:42 AM
3rdelement
Lexus Champion

post pictures please
Old 02-17-09, 11:29 AM
Slooooooow
Regional Officer - NTL

Cool

*lol* I definitely will.

But right now the height isn't where I want it, and, having just installed everything, the wheels are all catawumpus. The passenger rear has so much negative camber that it's rubbing the strut. The driver rear actually has positive camber. It's a mess at the moment, and I probably won't have time to mess with it again until the weekend.
Old 02-21-09, 06:44 PM
Jeremy-KY
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice, cant wait to see how it looks
Old 03-22-09, 09:31 PM
Slooooooow
Regional Officer - NTL

Talking

Heh heh heh... [teaser]

I've gotten around to FINALLY getting them all even this weekend as time comes available.

I had some low-frequency rubbing sound from the passenger rear that first night I had them on. I'm checking that corner now and will then try another test drive. Methinks there's so much negative camber on that corner that the tire is rubbing the strut. That's not going to make it a fun trip to NTB for the alignment.

Post-alignment, I'll put the CHMSL (with new bulbs), the rear deck and the back seat all back in.

Last edited by Slooooooow; 03-23-09 at 02:37 PM.
Old 03-22-09, 09:36 PM
Jeremy-KY
Pole Position

looking very nice and neat =)
Old 03-22-09, 11:08 PM
3rdelement
Lexus Champion

looks awesome.seems like my enkeis were that way but i was able to fix it. by looking at where the springs were in corelation to the tire. i think i had to move the spring adjustment up to compensate.

did you do what i recommended though and only adjust the bottom portion of the coilover to adjust your height? if so you should be sitting very nice(fyi. you can go lower on the front if you wanted) lol

if you used my car for inspiration. you should be very proud at accomplishing your goal. hmmm wonder who may want that gs300 led high mount tail light? shoot me your address again on PM and paypal $10 for shipping and its yours. you have definately earned it.
Old 03-23-09, 09:16 AM
Jeremy-KY
Pole Position

After seeing this I think I want to upgrade to coils eventually, maybe next year =)
Old 03-23-09, 09:57 AM
Slooooooow
Regional Officer - NTL

Cool

looks awesome.seems like my enkeis were that way but i was able to fix it. by looking at where the springs were in corelation to the tire. i think i had to move the spring adjustment up to compensate.
Yeah I noticed that the very bottom of the spring section is what's rubbing against the inner upper surface of the tire. It sucks because I know that the alignment will remedy this problem, but I don't want to risk shredding the tire or messing up the coilover to drive it to get the alignment. I'm in kind of a quandry.

I tried moving the spring section up, but without the leverage of the coilover wrenches (no dig @ the previous owner intended ), the hammer and tap method is not moving that upper ring one millimeter.

I'm also concerned a bit about adjustments on the collars affecting the spring. After much reading online on various car boards that inappropriate spring adjustment (via the upper collars) is the primary reason so many K-Sport coilovers fail, adding to their negative reviews on some forums. I'll emphasize that for anyone finding this thread while searching this topic: DO NOT go crazy using the upper collars for HEIGHT ADJUSTMENT with K-Sport coilovers!! Use the lower height-adjustment collar/ring.

Several K-Sport resellers have tried and failed to sell me replacement CO wrenches, so I'm going to contact them directly this week. I don't want to chew up the collars with continued hammer/tap percussion. [Edit: Just bought the wrenches from Element Motorsports - the same place I bought the rear coilover strut core replacements from. Nice folks and EASY to deal with on IM]

did you do what i recommended though and only adjust the bottom portion of the coilover to adjust your height? if so you should be sitting very nice(fyi. you can go lower on the front if you wanted) lol
HAHA! Yes; see the soapbox speech in the paragraph above. I can no longer get a finger, parallel to the ground, in between the tires and the fender edge at any corner. The new pictures could be misleading since I shot from the ground up on them. In fact it's so low, my wife walked out and asked, "Is there ANY WAY that doesn't scrape the fender wells while we drive around?!?" *LMAO* I showed her how stiff the COs are by attempting to bounce the car, but I kinda echo her concern since it's so low. If it doesn't rub when I drive it, I may very well attempt another half inch on the front. The rears are nicely, barely tucked now; I'll be leaving the Ichiba 15mm spacers OFF the ES now.

The lower side border of the car is now parallel with the ground now though, which is my primary goal with the COs. I want NO forward or rearward RAKE!
Check the rake that still existed even after H&R springs + KYB GR-2s in post #51 above!! *Grrrrrr!*
if you used my car for inspiration. you should be very proud at accomplishing your goal. hmmm wonder who may want that gs300 led high mount tail light? shoot me your address again on PM and paypal $10 for shipping and its yours. you have definately earned it.
I take it as high praise when the owner of one of my benchmarks gives me a thumbs-up! Thank you!!
$10?!? Oh YES! I'll take it! PM and Paypal forthcoming today!
[Edit: PayPal payment sent already with shipping information therein.]

Question for ya 3rdelement: Were your fenders rolled?

Last edited by Slooooooow; 03-23-09 at 10:57 AM.

Quick Reply: 1st Serious Mod Time - Suspension Rennovation