ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

1st Serious Mod Time - Suspension Rennovation

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-07, 10:56 PM
92ES5sp
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

Very nice!! Congratulations!!

Its about time for me to do my struts and RSB. The KYB GR2s seem like a good (or only) choice. Gonna keep the springs though. My summer project!!
Old 09-18-07, 05:13 PM
Slooooooow
Regional Officer - NTL

Cool Updated pics - Post-wheel and post-suspension install

Click the thumbnails below for updated pictures. The full-res pics seem to do it (and the layers of Zaino) full justice.

Now on to the next project(s)?
Old 09-19-07, 01:20 AM
13loody
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very clean! Great job Slooooooow!
Old 09-19-07, 07:23 AM
Slooooooow
Regional Officer - NTL

Originally Posted by 13loody
Very clean! Great job Slooooooow!
Many thanks, 13loody!
Old 09-19-07, 09:11 AM
powerwave
Lead Lap

wow- so zaino makes the white pop too my only experience with it personally is on black but that looks NICE.
Old 09-19-07, 01:34 PM
Slooooooow
Regional Officer - NTL

Originally Posted by powerwave
wow- so zaino makes the white pop too my only experience with it personally is on black but that looks NICE.
I've got one picture of my show truck (Zaino'd) garaged next one of my other cars (Zaino'd) and the reflectivity bouncing back and forth off of them makes one of those infinite reflection shots. Zaino is the stuff, man. I'm pretty sure it cures cancer too.

I just noticed...ye flipping gods..the exhaust IS SO LOW on these things...check it:

Old 09-19-07, 05:38 PM
powerwave
Lead Lap

i put a few coats of z2 and z5 on the black prius twice a year- if you add a layer of caranuba on top it really deepens the shine on darker paints. i don't know how much it'll help on white. i'm less familiar with lighter paint jobs but i understand they're not quite as much work :lol:

[btw, have you gotten my PMs re: the es250?]
Old 03-24-08, 07:44 PM
Avidstarr
Rookie

Slow, thanks for posting your experience with your suspension upgrade. Im most likely going to go your route with the kybs and h&r springs. those new pics you added are of your car with the springs settled? definitely love how it sits.
Old 03-24-08, 07:51 PM
Slooooooow
Regional Officer - NTL

Cool

Originally Posted by Avidstarr
Slow, thanks for posting your experience with your suspension upgrade. Im most likely going to go your route with the kybs and h&r springs. those new pics you added are of your car with the springs settled? definitely love how it sits.
Affirmative! Settled in nicely.
Thanks, I love how she sits too; even more I love how she handles the twisties. Right now she's more sporty than my stock SC.

Are there times when I wish I had the OEM cushy ride? Sure. Maybe 10-20% of the time. But that leaves 80-90% of the time where I'm thrilling to the aesthetics, the stance, the handling, etc. with a HUGE grin on my face.

I wish all my ES bros and sisses were close by so I could offer a drive, just so you can see how this thing goes now.
Old 03-24-08, 08:03 PM
Avidstarr
Rookie

i know the feeling... especially taking the bends on on ramps... some what dangerous but very fun... of course i cant do it currently on my ride... she would start to skid T-T

*makes plans to order*
Old 08-26-08, 09:50 AM
"Lexappeal
Driver

car looks sweet man, love the stance......
Old 08-26-08, 09:57 AM
Smitty
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice pics bro. Wanna come Zaino my ride?

-Smitty
Old 08-26-08, 10:20 AM
Slooooooow
Regional Officer - NTL

Cool

Originally Posted by "Lexappeal
car looks sweet man, love the stance......
Thank you! I'm thinking the stance will be enhanced with the spacers I'm investigating now. (Check that thread out too). I know you'll be joining me soon with the same stance.
Originally Posted by Smitty
Nice pics bro. Wanna come Zaino my ride? -Smitty
Thank you, Smitty! It's a shame you're not down here. I'd LOVE to see what Zaino and I could do with that black paint. I'm pretty sure we'd get it so mirror-like, the authorities would force you to get it off the road because it's a safety hazard for other drivers alongside you.

I'm tempted to take the whole plunge into K-Sports at the least (cons - imminent rebuilds, reported "crashing" over rough parts in the roads) or air bags/hybrid at the most (cons - $$$$$$).I only mention this because I'm reminded every time I see your ES beauty, how aesthetically appealing the stance of the coilovers are. Are you finding that the slightly rougher ride is exposing squeaks and rattles that might not have shown themselves with the floaty, pillowy stock ride?
Old 08-26-08, 11:16 AM
Smitty
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Slooooooow
Thank you, Smitty! It's a shame you're not down here. I'd LOVE to see what Zaino and I could do with that black paint. I'm pretty sure we'd get it so mirror-like, the authorities would force you to get it off the road because it's a safety hazard for other drivers alongside you.

I'm tempted to take the whole plunge into K-Sports at the least (cons - imminent rebuilds, reported "crashing" over rough parts in the roads) or air bags/hybrid at the most (cons - $$$$$$).I only mention this because I'm reminded every time I see your ES beauty, how aesthetically appealing the stance of the coilovers are. Are you finding that the slightly rougher ride is exposing squeaks and rattles that might not have shown themselves with the floaty, pillowy stock ride?

I may order some Zaino today when I get home. I've been using the Meguiars stuff for a while and it may be time to try something different.

As for the Ksports my personal opinion is just go Tein or JIC. I so wish I'd went that route. I'd trade my coils with cash for some Teins or JIC right now. I want to go with a hybrid air setup but I definitely dont wanna do it on KSports coils. The ride quality isnt good at all and I cant go as low as I want to because I dont wanna bottom out and mess something up. I dont get any squeaks or rattles but ride is pretty rough. Holla at me later and I'll tell you all about it.

-Smitty
Old 08-26-08, 01:29 PM
Slooooooow
Regional Officer - NTL

Cool

Originally Posted by Smitty
As for the Ksports my personal opinion is just go Tein or JIC. I so wish I'd went that route. I'd trade my coils with cash for some Teins or JIC right now. I want to go with a hybrid air setup but I definitely dont wanna do it on KSports coils. The ride quality isnt good at all and I cant go as low as I want to because I dont wanna bottom out and mess something up. I dont get any squeaks or rattles but ride is pretty rough. Holla at me later and I'll tell you all about it.-Smitty
The loss of ride quality is exactly what I feared with the K-Sports. That and the periodic rebuilds. I know 3rdElement BLEW his rear shocks just bumpin' over some of the rough Colorado roads. That's *no pun* shocking. No thanks.

We 2nd gen ESs don't get JIC or Tein as a coilover choice. K-Sports are IT.

So I guess it's 1) enjoy your stock, pillowy ride [nuthin' wrong with that], 2) go struts and springs for lowering/handling, or 3) spring the big dollars for air. How disappointing is that?

Count on the holla.

Quick Reply: 1st Serious Mod Time - Suspension Rennovation