ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

1st Serious Mod Time - Suspension Rennovation

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-07, 08:58 PM
Slooooooow
Regional Officer - NTL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by maniax
i was very close to getting ksports too actually. What i hear is that their performance is amazing for the price, but after a year or so the struts blow out and are very expensive to replace. I believe the warranty is only for one year.

I've heard quite a few stories about this so i think while they may be great handling coilovers, the value really isnt that great considering the lifespan of the struts.
You don't know how good it is to read this. I just about weakened at the last minute and snapped up the K-sports (since those are the only coilovers available for the ES). But it was going to be about twice the cost (not including the price of the RSB and STB).
Old 03-10-07, 02:58 AM
FwC
Rookie

Where? Where did you hear this from?!?! These struts on these coilovers are sealed tight and with the spring, they still ride stiff...
Old 03-10-07, 08:18 AM
iDrive
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ended up choosing the B&G Suspension 1.6" drp... Ordered it like 2 days ago.
Old 03-10-07, 08:32 AM
Slooooooow
Regional Officer - NTL

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by iDrive
I ended up choosing the B&G Suspension 1.6" drp... Ordered it like 2 days ago.
Awesome!
We expect pictures! You'll have your parts, install them and snap pics before my Whiteline parts leave Australia I bet.

Give us some pics and a review once the deed is done.

(iDrive, would you mind posting where you got them and the price in the 2nd gen suspension sticky?)
Old 03-14-07, 07:06 AM
Slooooooow
Regional Officer - NTL

Exclamation

i was very close to getting ksports too actually. What i hear is that their performance is amazing for the price, but after a year or so the struts blow out and are very expensive to replace. I believe the warranty is only for one year.

I've heard quite a few stories about this so i think while they may be great handling coilovers, the value really isnt that great considering the lifespan of the struts.
It appears that your warning was a good one, Maniax! I just came across this on the forum for my other sedan, a Legacy GT:

Originally Posted by Ridgeracer
Hey all (Mainly to Ksport owners)
I have a set of Ksports that are about 2 years old and my left front strut started leaking strut fluid last weekend. Well I actually found it leaking last weekend when I changed the oil. I think it has about 30K on it by now. I bought them used. Anyways how long do you all think I can drive the car like this? I have to wait for Ksport to send me my replacement. Costed me about 130 shipped. BTW this is the second front strut I had to replace. First one developed some play between the shaft and body. It would cause a knock when I would stop or go.
Not trying to cause a dogpile on Ksports - far from it - but it can't be bad to share as much information as possible when we come across it.
Old 03-31-07, 02:06 PM
Slooooooow
Regional Officer - NTL

Unhappy

I'm beginning to think that jumping into the Group Buy on TN for Whiteline components was a bad idea, although the prices are awesome and the quality of Whiteline suspension pieces are unquestionable.

I'm just a bad fit for anything that takes 30-90 days to be delivered. This is driving me bonkers. And now that the new wheels/tires are on, I REALLY want my suspension on to eliminate the gap and improve the handling.

THIS WAIT IS DRIVING ME CRAZY!!!!

(Did anyone else on here order from that group buy? If so, how long did it take for your parts to get to you?)
Old 05-11-07, 02:31 PM
Slooooooow
Regional Officer - NTL

Officially 2 months and a day after the Whiteline suspension group buy order and no ETA on the Whiteline springs.

Just posting updates for folks who might be considering a similar purchase. I'm getting closer and closer to just asking for the parts they do have in stock (strut tower brace and rear sway bar) and going somewhere else for the springs.

Just considering down-the-road stuff: what if I had a warranty claim on these springs? what if I needed replacements? what if I waited this long and they send me the wrong parts? the thought that there might always be a 2+ month lag on the back-and-forth is really getting me down.
Old 05-13-07, 02:01 PM
Slooooooow
Regional Officer - NTL

Exclamation

According to my reseller, Whiteline refuses to give its retailers specific shipping information for each order placed. It might make it on the next boat; it might not. Oh well.

Whiteline lowering springs - CANCELED

H&R Sport Springs - ORDERED
Should be here by early next week.

So hopefully my in-stock Whiteline STB and RSB will be here within a week or so and I'll be only a couple of weeks from my install date.

Old 05-13-07, 03:38 PM
maniax
Lexus Test Driver

I had most of the bushings changed out for polyurethane bushings last week. Cost me $600 labor and $250parts(TN Groupbuy). Then they tell me i need 2 lower ball joints and a new trailing arm. Cost me another $300. So $1150 and 5 days later, the shop still told me i need a ****load of other things. 4 struts/springs, engine mounts, all 4 stabilizer links, timing belt, water pump, and Excessive oil leak (Cam seal), and new tires.

I'm broke and try to put off everything else for now. Then, the same night i picked up my car....i hit 2 of the biggest fkin pothole in a row. Pulled over at the gas station. Found 2 big bumps on my right front tire sidewall. Now i have no choice but to get new tires. These Pirellis Pzero Nero a/s only lasted me 1 year!!! Argh! Gotta love NYC potholed roads! lol

This ES is really turning into a big money pit.....i'm seriously thinking about selling it and financing a LGT!
Old 05-13-07, 06:30 PM
Slooooooow
Regional Officer - NTL

Cool

This ES is really turning into a big money pit.....i'm seriously thinking about selling it and financing a LGT!
It's more fun to have your cake and eat it too! You really should pick up an LGT and have fun here like we do here at ClubLexus.

This is what my next suspension purchases will center on. 'Cept I autocross this one, so it'll be getting a full coilover system.

That's why I'll be SO glad once this ES suspension is in and done with. I can start saving up for the LGT suspension and the ES exhaust.

The problem is, you'll eventually really miss the ES. It's hard to explain but the wife and I both get in moods to drive one car one day and the other the next day. The LGT fits the mood for moving through traffic like Neo moves through the Matrix - everyone else is in slow motion and you can dance around bullets. The ES fits the mood to lean back and cruise.

One of the car mags described the LGT's sunroof as "enormous," but the ES's is larger and gives a really nice open air motoring experience by contrast.

Maniax, the only comfort I can give you is that at least you won't have to replace those newly replaced parts for a loooong while. And most parts are cheaper than a year's worth of payments. Does that help?

Last edited by Slooooooow; 05-13-07 at 07:31 PM.
Old 05-22-07, 08:20 AM
Slooooooow
Regional Officer - NTL

Talking How to SLAM the rear of an ES by at least 2.5"!!!

Fill the trunk with all your new suspension pieces!

Off to the install bay I go!

Last edited by Slooooooow; 05-29-07 at 10:19 AM.
Old 05-22-07, 08:50 AM
Pheonix
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cool

Awesome! Now get at getting them on!!!
Old 05-22-07, 01:33 PM
13loody
Pole Position

Glad the wait is finally over for you Install and post plenty of pics!
Old 05-24-07, 08:11 AM
Slooooooow
Regional Officer - NTL

Talking

It is finished!

Old 05-24-07, 08:35 AM
Slooooooow
Regional Officer - NTL

Talking

Here are pictures from the installation process over at JP Importz' garage.
Take a look and then GO MODIFY YOUR ESs!!!!!!
It's so worth it!!!

(I get to modify my signature. The equipment that was "incoming" is now installed!!!)

Quick Reply: 1st Serious Mod Time - Suspension Rennovation