ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Low Budget DIY Solution for Burnt Out Needles

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-07, 01:44 PM
BadViper22
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well in the needle there are no resistors first of all. Its a long strip of smd leds. And with making your own led strip theres two problems. Lack of space, and whatever you make has to be EXTREMELY light weight otherwise the needle wont function properly. But yes, pictures would be very nice and good luck!
Old 08-04-07, 02:11 PM
glynnkjk
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BadViper22
Well in the needle there are no resistors first of all
I'm sorry but there has to be some type of resistor..even if they are built into the led itself, which I doubt because of the size and the year they were built. The resistor adjusts the amount of current that flows through the led. Without it the inrush of current would blow the led so fast that you would not even see it light...the led will draw as much current as possible, that is why the resistor is put into the circuit.

Yes I will provide pics of the whole manufacturing and install process...
Old 08-04-07, 02:33 PM
BadViper22
Lexus Test Driver

lol, you are right, if there wasn't a resistor the leds would be crispy brown in 2 seconds. But i swear i couldn't see em, pretty odd.

But if you can get this to work i really wanna see it
Old 08-09-07, 07:50 PM
huerdo623
Pole Position

I just found mine in a junk yard only paid the $2 admission fee tee hee
Old 08-16-07, 08:45 AM
bz93es
Driver School Candidate

Great DIY Lexucan. and excellent write up. I recently acquired a 93ES with 168k. Of course, 3/4 needles were burned.
I followed thru and i have the needles at night.
One questions (problem) I hope that you can give me some pointers.
The needles seem to work. but the speedometer needle seems stuck around 30mph area. Ie. it wouldn't go pass 30mph even when i'm driving 50mph. I have to tap (hard) the dash then it will swing up to the proper speed.
there is something that's stuck there. I felt it when i move the needle with my finger. The funny thing is, when i flip the cluster upside down, the needle would move freely. I couldn't feel the same 'click'.
any idea of how to get that 'dust' out of the motor??

I'm thinking of getting a replacement cluster with working needles...it is worth it, because the needles would burn out too.
Old 08-16-07, 09:36 AM
BadViper22
Lexus Test Driver

Seems like the needle is rubbing up against the back of the cluster, thats a tough one.
Old 08-16-07, 12:31 PM
Lexucan
Lexucanafer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BadViper22
Seems like the needle is rubbing up against the back of the cluster, thats a tough one.
That's what I figure is the problem too. You might try adjusting the needle on the gauge so it doesn't touch.
Old 08-16-07, 01:00 PM
bz93es
Driver School Candidate

Thank for the quick reply.
It felt more like the 'spring' is somehow stuck.
The needle is not touching / rubbing on the face of the cluster. otherwise, it'll have scrape mark as the needle turns. There is about 1mm of room between the needle and the face.
I sprayed (a little) wd40 toward the motor from the pin, thinking (hoping) that it'll blow out the dust.
Old 08-16-07, 01:24 PM
esucaris1
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mine did the exact same thing so i pulled the needle back about a rch (don't ask) and it worked fine
Old 08-19-07, 06:00 PM
money0030
Driver School Candidate

what if i want my backlighting a different color? can i do that, and what if i want white on white as in white needles with white backlighting how would i do the white needles?
Old 08-19-07, 06:17 PM
Lexucan
Lexucanafer

Originally Posted by money0030
what if i want my backlighting a different color? can i do that, and what if i want white on white as in white needles with white backlighting how would i do the white needles?
If you are replacing the OEM backlighting bulbs with LEDs, you have the option of using different colors, but keep in mind that some colors might not illuminate the face of the gauge cluster as well as others.
White needles are not possible since the center strip (the part of the needle that the LED light shows through) is not clear but an amber color. No LED will look white behind the amber strip.
Old 08-21-07, 08:33 AM
bz93es
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by money0030

you can def. do it... I replaced the OEM backlighting to Blue LEDs.
To be honest, this red (needles) on blue background doesn't look that appealing to me.
The 'redline' doesn't show thru. i think i might as well change it to white bg (how lexucan did it)

As for my problem... i dont think it's the needle because even w/out the needle, i still feel the 'click' when i move the 'pins'. It is not smooth like the tach motor or the other motors.
Old 09-13-07, 10:58 AM
Elite
Driver School Candidate

has anyone tried doing the whole needle and not just the tip? or another color and had success?
Old 09-14-07, 08:30 AM
retiredva
Driver School Candidate

Default Burnt out needles

OK, here's where you all slap yourselves on the head and say, "now he's a real dope!" I think I read all I can find on this issue and am 100% convinced it's way beyond my tiny abilities. Don't know which end of a screwdriver to hold. Asked my mechanic and he shook his head and said, "man you're talking some money for me to try that." Have a 95 ES with 192K and I'm getting things fixed one at a time. Probably a stupid question, but does anyone have any ideas where I could go to get the cluster looking real good again, stock or otherwise? I know it'll cost $$, but I just want it right again.
Old 09-14-07, 08:37 AM
Lexucan
Lexucanafer

Originally Posted by retiredva
OK, here's where you all slap yourselves on the head and say, "now he's a real dope!" I think I read all I can find on this issue and am 100% convinced it's way beyond my tiny abilities. Don't know which end of a screwdriver to hold. Asked my mechanic and he shook his head and said, "man you're talking some money for me to try that." Have a 95 ES with 192K and I'm getting things fixed one at a time. Probably a stupid question, but does anyone have any ideas where I could go to get the cluster looking real good again, stock or otherwise? I know it'll cost $$, but I just want it right again.

Well, there is always www.lextech.org if you want to spend bucks.

Quick Reply: Low Budget DIY Solution for Burnt Out Needles