ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

LED Needle fix for 92-96 es300

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-06, 07:49 PM
Lexucan
Lexucanafer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by trukn1
Man, both of you are like mad scientists. Very inspirational with the modding and Lexucan, I have to say that your dash looks totally different with just the tips lit like that. I can' t decide which one I like better. Guys keep up the good work and maybe yall might start taking orders for other installs. Different color needles would definately set off my LS. Guys keep up the great work.
Welcome to my laboratory !!!!!!
Thanks for the comments. At night, I think the new cluster looks downright awesome .....and the price was right....$30 for parts for the backlighting and the needles and 3 or 4 hours of my time on the weekend. AND - I charged myself a very reasonable price for labor - 2 beers per hour! Let's see Lexus Service top that deal! No wonder the last photo I took after getting the cluster back into the dash was a little blurry!

Last edited by Lexucan; 02-24-07 at 11:01 PM.
Old 05-16-06, 09:51 AM
stallion50
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you send out detailed instructions on how to do it?
Old 05-16-06, 12:03 PM
Lexucan
Lexucanafer

Originally Posted by stallion50
Can you send out detailed instructions on how to do it?
As far as removing the instrument cluster from the car is concerned - that topic has already been covered in the forums. I suggest doing a topic search.
The same goes for the replacement of the backlight bullbs.
As for the needle fix - I'd be happy to post a more detailed explanation of the procedure I used.
It will be done soon as an addition to this thread.
Old 05-16-06, 06:54 PM
stallion50
Rookie

Originally Posted by Lexucan
As far as removing the instrument cluster from the car is concerned - that topic has already been covered in the forums. I suggest doing a topic search.
The same goes for the replacement of the backlight bullbs.
As for the needle fix - I'd be happy to post a more detailed explanation of the procedure I used.
It will be done soon as an addition to this thread.
The needle fix is what I meant, but thanks.
Old 05-18-06, 08:00 AM
Lexucan
Lexucanafer

Due to the length of the post, I decided to start a new thread for the needle fix.

It's titled: LOW BUDGET DIY SOLUTION FOR BURNT OUT NEEDLES

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=217411

I hope it is all pretty well self-explanatory. If not feel free to ask questions

Last edited by Lexucan; 05-18-06 at 09:42 PM.
Old 08-11-06, 09:34 AM
lexriider
Driver School Candidate

Default result

Hi i was wondering if the 10 x White LEDs - Ultra Bright - 286 - 5mm Wedge Base you ordered from ebay were any good send pics of how they look
thanks

Originally Posted by Lexucan
Great fix idea dj ! I'm def going to try it myself. I work in an electronics shop so have access to all the tools.
What value resistor did you use on the needles?
If your new 3mm white LED makes the needle look yellow, what color were the original LED strips that made the needles look orange? Were the old LEDs red in color maybe?
Would sure like to see some new pics of your work....some that are maybe in focus? (j/k)
Great write-up !

If you are looking for LEDs for your cluster backlighting, check this out:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...PCN_BIX_Stores

They will plug right in to your sockets on your cluster so no soldering necessary. I just bought a set for my '93 ES and they are arriving tomorrow

Good luck with the rest of your project !!

...and thanks!
Old 09-24-06, 10:02 AM
draikonz
Driver

hey djdoughboy, can you give me the link to the place you bought the 3mm LED's? because I'm having trouble finding them
Old 02-12-07, 11:55 AM
E-Z ES300
Lead Lap

OH MAN AM I IN TROUBLE, and i HOPEE you guys can help me!!... so yesterday im trying to do the fix on my needles because my speedometer and tach were almost all out, i bought a few 3mm LEDs and a couple micro lamps which are already 12volts so i thought hey better for me no resistor needed. Turns out that, no problem the micro lamps are not so bright its ok. Bigger problems start here i also decided to take off all of the little blueish "condoms" from the lights in the back of the speedometer and tach, after my installation none of those lights are working and my airbag light is on. Also did you guys have a VERY difficult time trying to balance out the needles after replacing the strip? Did any of you have the airbag light on aftre? what could have caused it and what to do now?... PLEASE AND THANK YOU!!
Old 02-12-07, 01:20 PM
swifty562
Lead Lap

Firstly, For your back light, if its LED. the polarity could be reverse and try switching them around.
Secondly, The 3mm LED puts weight on the needle... if you look closely on your needle.. the base of it have a metal piece which is for weight. also if weight is too much. there can be problems telling speeds,rpms,gas etc.

ex. alot of weight at base of needle can make the needle higher then it suppose to be.your in Park but the needles says 10mph or 100mph! depending on the weight of it.

lastly, the air bag light? Im guessing you started your car without the guage cluster plugged in? or place the key at ON postion.

fix: try reseting the ecu.
how? take off battery terminal for 15mins.
or? take off fuse. IBU Fuse I think. located in your fuse box. under the hood and also under your dash.

***correct me if i'm wrong anyone.***
Old 02-12-07, 04:29 PM
E-Z ES300
Lead Lap

alright to update you guys. My dads friend has a mechanic shop and i took it to him to check it out for me after work and he told me that all of my light bulbs behind the speedo and tach were burned out so he replaced them and it all works fine now, NO CHARGE!!

only my speedometer needle needs to be re-balanced because i was parked and it was at 10mph, not a problem though. i guess its a simple fix and i need to change the lights inside my needle because the "micro-lamps" that i used are NOT bright at all.

he reset my airbag light and told me the same thing swifty did i turned on the car with my gauge cluster removed.

he also gave me 3 different codes i had for my check engine light which were... insufficient egr flow sensor... vehicle speed sensor... and output speed sensor... what can you guys tell me about the check engine codes?

Thanks again for you reply swifty and also thanks in advance if any of you guys can help me out still...
Old 01-31-13, 02:20 PM
slikjik
Driver School Candidate

Can someone please provide a link to an ebay item/s on what I need to get my needle working? I plan on doing the yellow needle mod. There are too many on ebay to choose from and what voltage, or resisters I need.