ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

The Best & Only Intake That Works. $25-40usd

Old 09-30-06, 08:50 PM
Pheonix
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cool

In retrospect, I would do it like terra's.
Old 10-02-06, 06:05 AM
TruPlaya26
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by FwC
And I'm not trying to blast anyone. I'm just trying to repeat what DaveGS4 said to Truplaya, "Please help keep this thread on topic". To me, this thread is about a modified intake that works.

Dave said that to me because i was asking about spark plugs on here instead of making a new post, theres nothing wrong with talking about faster times because of weight reduction. yes the thread is about the intake, but the intake is supposed to make your car a little faster at the track, and people are jus adding extra insight on ways to make your car even a little faster at the track by reducing weight, i dont see anything wrong with that at all.
Old 10-02-06, 09:30 AM
sricenbaw
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My thoughts exactly.. but actually this doesnt have to do with the post.. maybe i should start a new thread?
-Scott
Old 10-02-06, 03:27 PM
LexOnDubz
Rookie

Originally Posted by BumpinLex
Hey I love the post, been looking for an intake for a long time, unfortunatly there are none made, so I wound up putting a k&n in the stock intake box and drilled a bunch of holes in it, very ghetto, but desperate, and it does actually sound kinda cool. I would however like to try your type of intake, only prob is mine is a 99 and a lot different. Just woundering if u knew nething about the 99's.....coming off the intake are dual pipes going into a box, then into a single pipe where the mass air flow sensor is, then to the intake box...
Did you extend your battery terminals to install this red top? I have 2 red tops sitting in the garage and I wasnt able to install them on my 2001 es. Let me know
Old 10-02-06, 05:00 PM
Pheonix
Lexus Champion

Cool

I'm sure some of them do. Just... Not any of them that have been sold to date. I've never seen a single dyno showing a gain. Just several that have shown minor losses of low/midrange power, only gaining abck to stock numbers. :\

Intakes do so little for power anyways... Stock is already breathing through a 2 3/4 - 2 1/2" piping. There really i very little in the stock systems to restrict it.

If you don't believe that, build yourself a manometer for afew dollars. (They're nothing more than a U shaped tube filled with water.) Check the pressure differances starting from the start of the intake probing back after every major step all the way to the throttlebody.
Remember, it takes a 27.68 inches of water change on your manometer jsut to equal a 1psi differance.
Old 10-03-06, 12:39 AM
FwC
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I'm a copycat.

Figured I should do this since it seemed most cost-effective. In addition my big rubber tube was surrounded by duct tape due to vacuum leaks. Here it is. Thanks pheonix! But I had to also use a 1/2" barb and about 14 inches of 1/2" rubber hose that leads somewhere into the front bank of the engine.
Attached Thumbnails The Best & Only Intake That Works. -40usd-cimg0065.jpg  
Old 10-03-06, 07:20 AM
TruPlaya26
Lexus Champion

Where is the MAF sensor, did you take it off, or is it hidden in there somewhere? i put a weapon R intake but i left the sensor on, afraid if i take it off it wont work right. heres a pic:
Attached Thumbnails The Best & Only Intake That Works. -40usd-intake.jpg  
Old 10-03-06, 07:22 AM
TruPlaya26
Lexus Champion

If i just disconnect the MAF sensor will the car still run the same?
Old 10-03-06, 08:09 AM
Pheonix
Lexus Champion

Cool

No. It won't know how much air is entering the engine, so it goes into limp mode & calculates it based off of an RPM * TPS sensor table. Which... Basically means it's taking a wild guess about the process & you can only run a few thousand RPM before it cuts off.
Old 10-03-06, 02:07 PM
FwC
Rookie

My MAF sensor is the rectangular thing attached to the right side of the AFM directly behind that red power wire. And during installation I was scared to remove the sensor, so I did all work with it on.
Old 10-03-06, 02:51 PM
sricenbaw
Driver

doesnt seem like yours is anything like the one orignally posted.. just seems like a aftermarked intake pipe/filter..?
-Scott
Old 10-03-06, 05:11 PM
TwiztidLex
Rookie

I found a company that makes a short ram intake for the 4th gen ES300. I was just curious if anybody has heard of them. The company is called Cosmo Racing. I was thinking about ordering the intake (only $70.50 on their website) to see if it worth anything. If anybody knows where I can get the car on a dyno in San Diego after the install I will post the results.

Here is what it looks like…
Old 10-03-06, 05:43 PM
maniax
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by FwC
Figured I should do this since it seemed most cost-effective. In addition my big rubber tube was surrounded by duct tape due to vacuum leaks. Here it is. Thanks pheonix! But I had to also use a 1/2" barb and about 14 inches of 1/2" rubber hose that leads somewhere into the front bank of the engine.
how did u connect/seal the barb into the sillicone coupler?

mine was a failed mission. i drilled the hole and stuffed it in there and used automotive goop to seal it. but it had too many air leaks. so i gave up and just bought a custom cold air from someone on TN.

Old 10-03-06, 10:17 PM
FwC
Rookie

Reason mine doesn't look like original is because I didn't drill into the AFM. The original one apparently only needed 1, 5/8" hose attached to the inlet pipe. Looking at mine, I needed an additional 1/2" hose attached. Goto page 2 of this thread and you will see a pic of another silicone coupler that is drilled into on both sides (I call it "terras' coupler"). This is similar to how I made mine.

When it came to the barbs, I searched ebay and found this ebay store, http://stores.ebay.com/TANKS-MORE, and I purchased 1/2" x 1/2" insert barb and another 1/2" x 5/8" insert barb. Once these came in, I went to lowe's and bought a pipe cap that fit the threading well and sawed off the cap part. To drill into the silicone was difficult with a drill, so we used the white tool in the picture below and manually spun/cut/drilled the holes into the silicone coupler. The barbs fit so tight that I had to twist them in with the threads. Didn't need the silicone adhesive but used it as a precautionary thing. I used the sawed pipe caps and tightened the barbs from the inside of the coupler. Altogether, I spent maybe $50 total. You think you got what you paid for with that CAI maniax?
Attached Thumbnails The Best & Only Intake That Works. -40usd-cimg0064.jpg  
Old 10-03-06, 11:15 PM
ES BL155
Pole Position

Originally Posted by TwiztidLex
I found a company that makes a short ram intake for the 4th gen ES300. I was just curious if anybody has heard of them. The company is called Cosmo Racing. I was thinking about ordering the intake (only $70.50 on their website) to see if it worth anything. If anybody knows where I can get the car on a dyno in San Diego after the install I will post the results.

Here is what it looks like…
Becareful about buying those kind of intakes. I bought an ebay intake that looks very similar to that one only it was all black. I ended up not being able to use it because it threw a cel. From what i've read, the cheapo ebay intakes don't have the MAF in the right spot and the piping is too big (3"). But who knows, this one might be different.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The Best & Only Intake That Works. $25-40usd