ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Totally Bored* *** Wanna try it?

Old 10-30-05, 05:39 PM
W. David
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Gato, it's been a while!!

good to see you still have your car dude, it would be a real shame to see it passed on!!

Now, I don't know how photoshop savy you are, but I'm not at all....But do me a favour, and throw my wheels on your car. Sorry for the angle, they just look best at night when the light hits the lip, so thats all I've got. Surely you've got a similar shot of your car though!

It still needs to be lowered, but with my winter wheels going on next weekend, that's going to be a next spring kinda thing.....as is a huge audio upgrade i think....indash flush screen I'm thinking...regardless, with lowering in mind, you've had both coil-over and springs. How much ride quality - if any - did you lose by going to the coil overs instead of springs/struts??? The coilovers make so much sense to me, as it would be great to have the option of raising it back up for the winter so I'm not providing a free snow plow service, but ride quality is really my number 1.

I reached a point at the end of the summer where i wanted to sell, and pay the difference for a 98 GS4.....but I don't need that kinda power with my lead foot, and i would just suck the gas back in a car like that. Besides, I've heard its useless in winter. Regardless, I've fallen in love with the ES all over again, and am serious about actually making an investment into it, as its still relatively low mileage, and appearance wise, its perfect. So I'm thinking lowering, a serious audio system (already got a decent one), exhaust....and if somehow I can come up with 2K for a stupid front lip - the auto couture...but thats my last priority really, as 01 tails are also high on my list. It all looks so easy on paper, but we'll have to wait and see what next year brings.

For now, toss my wheels on your car for me if you get a chance, I'm curious to see how they look on a properly lowered ES.

Thanks Bro.....hope all is well.

Old 10-31-05, 09:54 AM
GATO
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Whats up W. David? glad to see your still around...

no photshop skills here dont even have photoshop ...

I was just messing around with PAINT
Attached Thumbnails Totally Bored* *** Wanna try it?-new-013l.jpg  
Old 10-31-05, 01:47 PM
W. David
Pole Position

With Paint? LMFAO.

Oh well.......well, the rims look decent, although again, I appologize for the **** *** picture angle, as I'm sure that didn't make things easy.

Now, can you answer my question Re: springs/struts Vs Coilovers? You've had both, so I figure you should have the best perspective for me.

Thanks man.
Old 10-31-05, 01:48 PM
3rdelement
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Photoshoped for ya

either way make sure you find a shop that knows howto install them and adjust them to your liking.
I need to take mine to a good shop and have them adjusted. but corning is insane with coilovers

Last edited by 3rdelement; 10-31-05 at 01:54 PM.
Old 10-31-05, 02:01 PM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 3000
I just found that the wheel is still in stock and it could be custom finished...

Oh and I found this LS... ( it was on this site: http://www.worksuperwheels.com/wheels/euroline_dh.html)

I believe that is a Toyota Crown and not an LS.
Old 10-31-05, 02:02 PM
W. David
Pole Position

element,

Did you go straight to coilovers, or did you have a spring set-up first?

Also, from stock, how different is the ride quality? I'm riding on terribly worn struts right now, so something has to be done in the spring regardless....thing is, I have the AVS option in my car, so forking out 1500 for coilovers seems like a bargain to me!

As far as adjustments go; is it pretty much a one time thing, or would I have to readjust them every year if I would going to be raising and lowering the car for winter?

Last but not least.....I suspect you mean that in a good way in regards to your comment o the cornering.....

And finally, to think I wanted a GS4...got my first speeding ticket an hour ago, and it sucks!! I can't begin to think how many I would get in a GS.

Old 10-31-05, 02:08 PM
3rdelement
Lexus Champion

well ok...

Coilovers i like. Yeah its a little bouncy....but that is adjustable...and i havent had the time to go get that corrected for my taste.

Additionally if i had a garage i could do that adjustment myself

also living in colorado and having gone through 2 snow storms im just fine at the height im at.....and trust me im sittin low.

The only downside is cost for me.

Its great though. i sit lower than most cars now....and because of that the car looks wider also.....so i dont feel like a camry sitting tall. Dont get me wrong though you can go as tall as logic would allow with coilovers.

a lil pic for ya(love the stance i can get)

Old 10-31-05, 02:18 PM
W. David
Pole Position

Fair enough man,

I certainly like the stance of your car...and that's exactly what I'm aiming for really...I guess it really comes down to getting a feel for what kind of ride I'm going to be more happy with. Coil-overs or a spring/strut setup.

My only other thing to consider is, if I do go the spring/strut route, which obviously eliminates the flexibility of being able to lower/raise it to my exact tastes, will I be sitting TOO low to put my stock 15's back on for the winter??? Any idea? I wouldn't think it would make a difference, as the diameter of the stock wheels with the big tires is almost exact to that of the 18's with the low profile....although I recall someone saying this could be an issue.

Old 10-31-05, 02:27 PM
3rdelement
Lexus Champion

my stocks fit better than my 18's because my 18's are 7.5 wide. my stocks are 7. below are pics of my car as of last week.

Old 10-31-05, 02:42 PM
W. David
Pole Position

Do you get any rubbing at all in the rear when you've got passengers?? If so, would a fender-roll cure this?
Old 10-31-05, 02:44 PM
3rdelement
Lexus Champion

the rear used to rub but that was because my wheels were wide and hitting the inside wheel well because of very worn rear struts and springs. But not anymore.
Old 10-31-05, 06:00 PM
W. David
Pole Position

Cool, thanks bro........that's gotta be whats goin on with my car then too....

Now, I just need a response from Gato......sorry for taking over your thread dude!

Old 10-31-05, 06:37 PM
GATO
Lexus Champion

W. David, .... I love my coilovers and would never consider going back to spring set up or anything else.....

but the purchase of your next suspension set up is really going to come down to what you do and how you drive your ES.

You see, I truly feel like my ride feels like a track/sports machine .... I mean really, is it a little bouncy, YEAH, but I kinda like it . ....... but then again, I hate to use the word bouncy.......how about responsive. it is extremeley responsive and it feels great. but I dont drive her everyday and I also got it to slammmm her... i have no gap whatsoever.

Nothing wrong with the spring/strut combo...again, just up to you...but if you got the coin..why not
Old 11-01-05, 04:07 AM
superpats
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GATO
it is extremeley responsive and it feels great. but I dont drive her everyday and I also got it to slammmm her... i have no gap whatsoever.
Are you saying coilovers are not for your daily driver?
Old 11-01-05, 06:42 AM
GATO
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by superpats
Are you saying coilovers are not for your daily driver?

ooohhh, great question ......... I would have to say....daily driver, sure. If I had to make it a daily driver again ( wich the possibilities are there) of course I'd roll coilovers......its awesome

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Totally Bored* *** Wanna try it?